Update, March 8: The weeklong program resulted in 4,687 cans and boxes of food being donated to 12 area food pantries. The average fee waived was $12, but several individuals with larger fees ranging from $98 to $210 took care of them by donating food.
– – –
Snag a few extra cans of veggies and tuna this week at the grocery store. You can help the hungry while erasing your late fees at York County libraries in the Food for Fines program. From Feb. 13 to Feb. 19, library cardholders can contribute non-perishable food items and have $1 deducted from late fees owed for each item donated.
“During this strained economy, both food banks and libraries have seen significant increases in usage, so this project offers a win-win solution for folks; a way to take care of their late fees while helping their neighbors in need,” said Deb Sullivan, community relations director for York County Libraries, in a press release.
All food donations should be canned or non-perishable (boxes, bags) and need to be in date. Suggested items include canned fruits and vegetables, tomato sauce, soup, cereal, rice, beans, macaroni and cheese, juice, peanut butter, and canned meat like tuna, chicken, and salmon that don’t require refrigeration prior to opening.
Donations will go to the following food banks:
- Arthur Hufnagel Public Library of Glen Rock — Southern York County Food Pantry, New Freedom
- Collinsville Community Library — Mason-Dixon Community Service, Delta
- Dillsburg Area Community Library — New Hope Ministries, Dillsburg
- Dover Area Community Library — Dover Area Food Bank, Dover
- Glatfelter Memorial Library — Harvest for Hope, York
- Guthrie Memorial Library-Hanover’s Public Library — Hanover Red Cross, Hanover
- Kaltreider-Benfer Library — Emmanuel’s Closet, Red Lion
- Kreutz Creek Valley Library Center — Love in Action Food Cupboard, Hellam Township
- Martin Library — York County Food Bank, York
- Martin Library at the Art Institute of York — West End Local Link (W.E.L.L), York
- Mason-Dixon Public Library — Southern York County Food Pantry, New Freedom
- Red Land Community Library — Red Land Food Ministry, Lewisberry
- Paul Smith Library of Southern York County — Southern York County Food Pantry, New Freedom
- Village Library — Christ United Methodist Church Food Pantry of Jacobus.