In 1837, when William Heathcote purchased 93 acres and began construction on a woolen mill in Glen Rock, he likely didn’t know that the building would stand for 175 years. But as its anniversary approached in 2012, the owners of the building — now Glen Rock Mill Inn — wanted to honor its history.
So, they published “Glen Rock — Its Early Years and Its First Mill.” Terry Steyer and Cindy Duzan, owners of the inn, worked with Glen Rock historian John Hufnagel to put together a 55-page book that chronicles the area’s early history. It was published in conjunction with the Glen Rock Historic Preservation Society.
Divided into eight chapters, the book relies heavily on photos, drawings and maps to piece together the mill’s transformation from a woolen mill to a grist mill to a feed mill and, eventually, to become the Glen Rock Mill Inn, a restaurant.
A book signing ceremony is scheduled for 2 to 4 p.m. Jan. 20 at the Glen Rock Mill Inn, 50 Water St., Glen Rock. Copies will be available for purchase. For details, visit the Glen Rock Historic Preservation Society website at grhps.org, the Glen Rock Mill Inn website at www.glenrockmillinn.com or call 717-235-1528.
The book is also available at the Glen Rock Mill Inn during business hours, at the Glen Rock Historic Preservation Society museum located in the Peoples Bank, 1 Manchester St., from 2 to 4 p.m. on the second Sunday of each month, or at the Arthur Hufnagel Glen Rock Public Library during business hours. Cost is $12.
Out-of-town readers can order a copy for $17.50 (tax and priority postage included) from John Hufnagel, P.O. Box 85, Glen Rock, PA 17327. Call 717-235-1528 with questions.