York County is home to a diverse spread of authors — from Hallam mother of three Stephanie Giese and entomology expert Ryan “The Bug Man” Bridge to psychologist Julie Swope and former Dallastown science teacher and football coach Richard Cleary.
As part of Martin Library’s first Local Authors Week, July 8-12, readers can meet and hear from several of them.
Staff at the library have been preparing for the weeklong series of programs since early spring, said John Miller, adult services librarian.
“It can be difficult to schedule (authors) individually as they get their books published,” Miller said, but he’s hoping having several authors together for the week will bring exposure both to their writing and also to the library.
A three-librarian committee chose more than a dozen authors from about 30 applications, Miller said, focusing on those who would have a broad appeal.
Several children’s authors will present day programs during the week in the children’s room, while adult authors are scheduled for the evenings Monday through Thursday on the library’s second floor. On Friday, several authors will be available to sign and sell copies of their books.
“We’re just gonna see what works and what doesn’t,” Miller said. “In the long term, we’d actually like to expand it out to more of the libraries in York County than just Martin.”
All children’s programs will be held in the children’s room at Martin Library.
- 2 p.m. July 8 — Meet Ryan “The Bug Man” Bridge
- 11 a.m. July 9 — Michael Simpson, author of “BDogg Goes to School”
- 11 a.m. July 10 — Darby Jo Campbell, author of “A Sniff in the Park: Boomer’s Nose Adventures”
- 11 a.m. July 11 — Donna Ferguson, author of “Rail Trail Kitten”
All adult programs will be held on the second floor of Martin Library.
- 5:45 p.m. July 8 — Pamela Bender, author of “Worlds Apart”
- 5:45 p.m. July 9 — Mike Argento, author of “Don’t Be Cruel”
- 5:45 p.m. July 10 — Richard Cleary, author of “In the Absence of God”
- 5:45 p.m. July 11 — Stephanie Giese, author of “Potty Training and Prostate Exams,” published in the anthology “I Just Want to Pee Alone”
Area authors Linda Amos, Michele DeMeo, Steven Nesbit, Michelle Owens, Julie Swope, Chrissi Hart and Donna Ferguson will sell and sign copies of their books from 11 a.m. to 1 p.m. July 12. Martin Library is located at 159 E. Market St., York. Call 717-846-5300 with questions.