May 3 – Adopt-a-Position and FREE Battle Walk!

102nd.jpg
The 102nd Pennsylvania was among the Union reinforcements that helped clear the “Valley of Death” late on July 2.
The York Civil War Round Table is sponsoring a National Park Service-sanctioned battlefield clean-up activity on Saturday morning, May 3, 2008. To further entice folks to turn out, in the early afternoon, there will be a free battle walk and tour of East Cemetery Hill led by Scott Mingus, who has written a new book covering the topic. There is no charge for either activity, and the public is welcome to participate, although a free-will donation is suggested to the York CWRT to help defray expenses for the speakers at future monthly meetings. Volunteers for the Adopt-a-Position work day need to bring gloves and clippers.
Meet at 10 a.m. at the monuments to the 102nd Pennsylvania / 62nd New York on the John Weikert / Althoff Farm Lane, just northeast of the Wheatfield Road intersection with Crawford Avenue (near Houck’s Ridge / Devil’s Den). Lunch is on your own. Then, at 1:00 p.m., meet at the Evergreen Cemetery Gatehouse for the 90-minute battle walk, which will involve only modest walking.

The old White Rose Civil War Round Table first volunteered to “Adopt-A-Position” in September 1997 and selected the 102nd Pennsylvania and 62nd New York site. The group has continuously maintained the site since then. Recently, through the efforts of Kathy Friel, the group formally re-adopted the site as the York CWRT in April 2008.
Both volunteer infantry regiments have storied histories, which I will dive into in future posts. The 102nd Pennsylvania was also known as the old 13th Pittsburgh Washington Infantry, and the 62nd NY started as the “Anderson Zouaves.” They served together in the Third Brigade of the Third Division of the Sixth Corps, along with the 93rd, 98th, and 139th Pennsylvania. At Gettysburg, they initially were under the command of Brig. Gen. Frank Wheaton, later to be a famous Indian fighter in the Old West. With the promotion of division commander John Newton to command the I Corps (relieving Abner Doubleday), Wheaton was assigned to division command, and Col. David J. Nevin led the Third Brigade into action on July 2 in the position where the monuments are located.
Colonel John Patterson’s 102nd PA had a famous mascot dog named “Jack.” (Ironically, I have covered Jack in my manuscript for Volume 3 of Human Interest Stories of the Gettysburg Campaign). There is an exhibit to the loyal canine at the Soldiers and Sailors Memorial Hall in Pittsburgh. Survivors dedicated the monument at Gettysburg on September 11, 1889. I’ll discuss both the dog and the monument in more detail in the future.
Come on out on May 3rd!!!! Everyone is welcome!

This entry was posted in Civil War events, Gettysburg battlefield, Gettysburg Campaign, One-tank road trips, York CWRT. Bookmark the permalink.

7 Responses to May 3 – Adopt-a-Position and FREE Battle Walk!

1. Barry Siegle says:

How can I find out if my Great-Great-Grandfather was indeed with the 102nd PA Infantry Regiment when they fought at Gettysburg? Part of the Regiment was not there. He is listed on the PA Monument and assume this confirms he was indeed there. Comments? Thanks in advance! Barry

2. Rev. Dr. Timothy R. Perkins says:

My Great Grandfather, George W. Perkins, and his brother, Thomas Perkins, were part of the old 13th, later to become part of the 102nd. David Perkins, a relative, is listed on the Pennsylvania Monument, Company M. Check out the 102nd Website at http://cwdpa102ndregimentvolinf.com/ Google 102nd Pennsylvania and you will find some interesting web site information. Peace, Tim

3. William Phillis III says:

My great great grandfather was Col. John Williams Patterson who was wounded at the Battle of Fair Oaks, Captured at Salem Church and killed at Brock & Orange Plank Road during the Wilderness on May 5,1864. I have written several articles about him and have 285 letters that he wrote to his wife during the CW and letters she wrote to Col. Patterson.

4. Scott Mingus says:

Have you ever thought of having these letters published so that others might enjoy them???

5. MikeFitzpatrick says:

Hi!
    I am a member of the Nassau County CWRT and on May 3rd, a small group of us will be doing our clean-up for the Adopt a Position program.
    I was wondering if it would be possible for us to join your group for the walking tour that afternoon? It would be greatly appreciated.
    Thanks!!
    Mike Fitzpatrick

6. Scott Mingus says:

Mike,
    I have not seen the plans for 2009 yet. If we do another battlewalk this year, we would be quite happy to have your group as our guests. Last year’s clean up and battlewalk was very well attended, despite icy cold winds.
    Watch my homepage for an announcement of the date for this year’s battlewalk.

7. Mike Fitzpatrick says:

Scott,
    Silly me! I didn’t realize that the post was from 2008! I was Googling Adopt-a-Position and saw the blog entry and just assumed it was for this year.
    I will be sure to check your homepage for any upcoming walks.
    Thanks!!