Live Coverage of the Aric Woodard capital murder trial

Aric Shayne Woodard, 40, was convicted of first-degree murder on Thursday in the beating death of 2-year-old Jaques Omari Twinn. He trial now enters the penalty phase.

The Commonwealth is seeking the death penalty citing the victim’s age and means of torture as the aggravating circumstances.

Jaques died at York Hospital on Nov. 7, 2011. According to York City Police, Woodard said he had been watching “the kids” when he found Jaques drowned in the bathtub.

An autopsy established Jaques’ death was caused by blunt force trauma, not the result of drowning.

Follow along below for live coverage of today’s trial. Read the background here.

About Rick Lee

Rick Lee is a veteran courthouse reporter for the York Daily Record/Sunday News. Contact him at rlee@ydr.com or call 495-1782.
This entry was posted in Criminal court, Police beat and tagged , , , , , , . Bookmark the permalink.

12 Responses to Live Coverage of the Aric Woodard capital murder trial

1. a very concerned citizen says:

this man is siccccccccccckkkkkkkkkkkk he needs to be put to death after a little bit of torture,,and why if that poor baby was sick the day his so called ‘mother’ dropped him off to this animal she should of been the mother she was suppose to be and stay with her child when he is sick but instead she decided to go get a wet but while her child was beat to death[poor baby] they both need to rot in hell for this

2. TC says:

This is horrible, the mother should be facing more serious charges.

3. TC says:

I was thinking the same thing. Why leave him with someone if he’s sick, on top of that the person you left him with was living in a dirty abandoned house.

• A VERY CONCERNED CITIZEN says:

AND NEVER CHECKED ON HIM KNOWING HE DIDNT FEEL GOOD POOPING HIS SELF ALL DAY WHAT CARING MOTHER WOULD NOT HAVE TAKEN HIM TO THE DOCTOR,,BUT OF COURSE SHE INSTEAD WENT TO THE MOTEL SHE IS JUST AS WRONG AS THAT ANIMAL,,PLUS SHE WAS TO DROP FOOD OFF SO THE CHILDREN COULD EAT AND DIDNT EVEN DO THAT SHE IS JUST AS WRONG

4. BJ says:

I would not be so quick to judge. The doctor admitted that internal injuries occured prior to the day he died. How do we know that the “pooping” was not indicative of something more serious. God is the only judge so I will reserve that for him.

5. Anne says:

So sad I cried while reading this. All those injures he suffered I can not even imagine the pain he must of been going through RIP Jaques

6. Just me says:

I am pretty sure he will be found guilty

7. Richard L. Miller II says:

I pray that he is found not guilty. I know Shane personally. He was someone that took me under his wing and mentored me as a kid. Took me to get haircuts, took me on trips to Dorney Park with his church. Even brought me to his mothers home and introduced me to his family.. There is no malice in this man’s heart. For the public to judge this man at his darkest hour shows the compassion that some people have. Was he a model citizen not by any stretch, but which of us are?! Is he a murderer? No! I stand by that statement. Let God judge that man..
    It saddens me that this young toddler can no longer enjoy life, he was the cutest little thing. I pray that his soul rest in heaven, because here on Earth he experienced untold pain.
    But I won’t allow my friends character to be tarnished by people that haven’t ever met him. Shane, may the jury see the truth and acquit you.

8. Richard L. Miller II says:

Am I too late to speak on Shane’s behalf?

9. candace says:

My cousin is innocent. He watched me as a kid & never put hands on me. Even when I was bad or didn’t listen. I can’t believe this. I ? A lot of the things that aren’t being questioned. Such as if the child was “abused” or came home with bruises why weren’t the police contacted?!? & if they were where are the reports that should have been filed? I’m not claiming this “Death Sentence” on my cousin. Our God knows! Shayne I love you cuzzo. Only God Judgements counts. So as far as everyone referring to you as an animal. Let them say n think what they want. I know the truth about you & the good person you truly are!!!! # free u asap