It’s Super Bowl weekend, and that means party time for some people.
But if you’re planning to imbibe, you need to make plans to get home safely.
Police in Lancaster County will be conducting roving DUI patrols this weekend, according to a news release from the Center for Traffic Safety.
The enforcement operation will take place sometime between 6 p.m. Friday and 6 a.m. Monday, the news release states.
So what’s happening in York County?
Don’t be surprised if you see the York County Sobriety Checkpoint van out and about this weekend, said Wayne Harper, director of the Center for Traffic Safety.
In addition, police will be looking for drunk drivers in doing their normal patrols, he said.
The Center for Traffic Safety offered tips in its news release to help prevent drinking and driving. See the tips below:
If you are hosting a Super Bowl party:
– Make sure all of your guests designate their sober drivers before kick-off or help arrange ride-sharing with other sober drivers.
– Find unique ways to recognize the designated drivers at your party, such as giving them a great spot to watch the game or letting them have the first pass at the buffet table.
– Serve plenty of food.
– Offer a variety of non-alcoholic choices like soft drinks, juice, and water.
– Serve one drink at a time and serve measured drinks.
– Only serve alcohol to guests over 21 years of age.
– Determine ahead of time when you’ll stop serving alcohol, such as one hour before the end of the party or at the end of the third quarter of the game (just like NFL stadiums) and begin serving coffee and dessert.
– Add the numbers of local cab companies into your phone so they are just one touch away.
– Take appropriate steps to prevent anyone from driving while impaired.
– Be prepared for guests to spend the night if an alternative way home is not available.
If you are attending a party or watching the game at a sports bar or restaurant, here are some tips:
– Designate your sober driver before the party begins and leave your car keys at home if you plan to drink.
– Find unique ways to recognize the designated drivers when you are out at a bar or restaurant, such as paying the cost of parking or a tank of gas.
– Before you go out, add the numbers for local cab companies in your cell phone so if you find yourself in need of a ride, it is just one touch away.
– Always buckle up. It’s your best defense on the road.