An historic marker for Thomas Cresap has been relocated to the original site of his home in Lower Windsor Township, according to a news release from the Susquehanna Gateway Heritage Area.
Cresap settled at Pleasant Garden in 1729. This was during the boundary dispute between William Penn and Lord Baltimore, and Cresap served as guardian of Maryland’s interest in the area. Cresap clashed with local residents and authorities for about six years before moving to western Maryland, the news release states.
A stone and bronze marker for Cresap was erected in 1924 at Long Level because it was believed at that time the site was part of Pleasant Garden, the news release states. But historical research has shown that the location would be on or adjacent to the current Zimmerman Center for Heritage, which is located at 1706 Long Level Road.
So to increase the visibility and public access to the marker, the marker was recently moved to the Zimmerman Center for Heritage. It will be available to the public in June when an enhancement project is completed.
As a donation to the community, Kinsley Construction contributed the labor and equipment to move the memorial, the news release states.