Find out what’s up this weekend. And check out more events in our newsletter and on our regional pages.
– Ventriloquist Jeff Dunham will perform 7:30 p.m. Friday at the York Fair. Country star Hunter Hayes will hit the stage 7:30 p.m. Saturday. Check for stories and recaps on the fair page. [Tickets to each show are $39 to $54]
– Maggie Rose, Canaan Smith, Austin Webb, Jana Kramer, Dakota Bradley and Sam Hunt will round out the Great Country Radio Stage tonight through Sunday. Get details about the shows. [Free]
– Kable House Presents will kick off a new concert series tonight at Central Market, 34 W. Philadelphia St., York. Doors open at 7 p.m. Rayland Baxter takes the stage with special guest Mike McMonagle at 8 p.m. [$13]
– York College’s annual Humanities Film Series will kick off its year with a screening of “The Wizard of Oz.” The movie, released in 1939, is celebrating its 75th anniversary. Author Jay Scarfone will lead a discussion 7 tonight in Room 218 of the Humanities Center on campus, 441 Country Club Road, Spring Garden Township. He will host a question-and-answer session following the movie. [Free]
– Award-winning comedian, author, and filmmaker Mike Birbiglia will perform 7:30 tonight at the Strand Capitol Performing Arts Center, 50 N. George St., York. [$39 and $49]
– Lebanon Valley College will present the post-feminist all-female horn experience, Genghis Barbie, 7:30 tonight in Blair Music Center, 101 College Ave., Annville. [Free]
Food, fests and fairs:
– Welcome a new season with rides, games, food and more 4 to 10 p.m. today and 4 to 11 p.m. Friday and Saturday during the Biglerville Fall Fest, 111 S. Main St. It benefits the Biglerville Hose & Truck Co. No. 1.
– Harrisburg Restaurant Week is really two weeks. It runs through Friday and Sept. 15 to 19. It features 11 restaurants serving three-course meals for $30. During the event, free parking will be available 5 p.m. to 9 p.m. Monday to Friday in the River Street Garage.
– The Hotel Hershey Wine and Food Festival runs Friday to Sunday at the hotel, 100 Hotel Road, Hershey. There will be several interactive wine events and the Grand Tasting on Sunday. [Must be 21 or older and have reservations; Call 717-534-8800]
– The Capital City Invitational Beer Festival will feature two sessions, 2 to 5 p.m. and 6 to 9 p.m., Saturday at Appalachian Brewing Co., 50 N. Cameron Street, Harrisburg. It includes craft beer, an Oktoberfest buffet and live music. [$35 in advance; $40 at the door; $15 for designated drivers]
– Swashbuckling fun sails into the Pennsylvania Renaissance Faire 11 a.m. to 8 p.m. Saturday and Sunday. Pyrate’s Return features sword and mud fights. The faire is on the Mount Hope Estate and Winery grounds, 2775 Lebanon Road, Manheim. [Passes are $10.95 to $26.95]
Continue reading “FlipSide guide 9/11/14: Hunter Hayes at York Fair, Star-Spangled Spectacular, Colonial Day” »