Find out what’s up this weekend. And check out more events in our newsletter and on our regional pages.
These events are kind of a big deal:
– The Long’s Park Art and Craft Festival runs 10 a.m. to 6 p.m. Friday and Saturday and 10 a.m. to 5 p.m. Sunday at Long’s Park, Route 30 and Harrisburg Pike, Lancaster. The 36th annual event includes more than 200 artists and craftspeople, live music, food, wine and craft beer [$8; proceeds benefit the free Long’s Park Summer Music Series]
– Here’s a look at the lineup and rules for the Southern Ground Music and Food Festival at Hersheypark Stadium, 550 Hersheypark Drive, Hershey. Saturday: Jimmy Buffett and the Coral Reefer band will perform with special guests Alan Jackson and JJ Grey and Mofro. Read an interview with Grey. Sunday: Zac Brown Band will play with special guests Blues Traveler, Trombone Shorty & Orleans Avenue and The Wild Feathers. [Festival tickets cost between $34.40 and $129.90, plus taxes and fees; parking is $10 to $12]
– Spend the day tasting award-winning grub 11 a.m. to 5 p.m. Sunday at the Hanover Chili Cookoff at Good Field Complex on North Forney Avenue in Hanover. The event is held rain or shine, and will also offer live entertainment and family fun. [$8.50 in advance; $10 at the gate; proceeds benefit local nonprofits]
– Foodstruck York returns 11 a.m. to 6 p.m. Sunday at Penn Park in downtown York. It will feature 50 trucks, Treasure Island Beer Garden, merchants and music. [Free admission, food prices vary; five-packs of beer tokens will be $5]
More Labor Day festivities:
– Grammy-winning rapper Big Daddy Kane will headline the Labor Day weekend throwback event Friday at 11th Avenue, formerly The Belmont, 36 W. 11th Ave., North York. Doors for the 25-and-older party open at 9 p.m. [$25 in advance; $40 at the door; BYOB]
– The Heart of Lancaster Arts and Craft Show runs 10 a.m. to 4 p.m. Saturday and Sunday at Roots Country Market, 705 Graystone Road, Manheim. The rain-or-shine event will feature work from regional artists, food and live music. [Free admission and parking]
– The annual Kipona festival runs Saturday to Monday at City Island and Riverfront Park in Harrisburg. Don’t miss the basketball tournament, chili cookoff, fireworks and divas concert. [Free]
– Prepare to search inside and out as you answer questions along the trails during the Labor Day Nature Scavenger Hunt 2:30 to 4 p.m. Sunday at Nixon County Park, 5922 Nixon Road, Springfield Township. Park Naturalist Kelsey Frey will host this family-friendly event. Get details about this and other York County Parks events this weekend.
– There’s a lot happening at Kiwanis Lake in York on Labor Day. A fishing derby starts at 7 a.m. A parade starts at 10 a.m. Bands start at 5 p.m., and fireworks go off around 8 p.m. [Free]
– Head to Jacobus during Labor Day for the annual Street Fair and Car Show. The car show runs 10 a.m. to 3 p.m. in Jacobus Park. The street fair will include more than 80 vendors along Main Street 10 a.m. to 4 p.m. [Free; $10 to register a car for show]
Continue reading “FlipSide guide 8/28/14: Jimmy Buffet in Hershey, Foodstruck, Labor Day activities” »