(Photo: YDR file; Judeth Pekala Hawkins helped children decorate cardboard triads — dubbed Scrapscapes by stARTSomething — April 2 on Beaver Street.)
StARTSomething, a regional arts in education program of Pennsylvania Council on the Arts and the Cultural Alliance of York County, is seeking to fill artist in residence positions in local classrooms this winter. Artist residencies are customized experiences that integrate an art form into the teacher’s core curriculum. Teachers or community organizations select and collaborate with qualified artists who spend at least 20 days in their residencies.
Actors, musicians and other artists who make strong connections with literacy, mathematics, social studies and/or science are encouraged to apply. For details and applications and to RSVP to information sessions, call 812-9255. Applications are due Feb. 18. Artists are invited to the following information sessions:
– 5:30 to 7 p.m. Jan. 5 at the Wolf Center for Philanthropy, 14 W. Market St., York
– 5:30 to 7 p.m. Jan. 10 at the Eisenhower Room of the Adams County Library in Gettysburg
– 5:30 to 7 p.m. Jan 11 at the Fulton County Library’s Community Room, 227 N. First St., McConnellsburg
– 5:30 to 7 p.m. Jan. 13 at the Grove Family Library, 101 Ragged Edge Road South, Chambersburg
(The snow date will 5:30 to 7 p.m. be Jan. 18 at the Grove Family Library .)
Check the jump for details about free artist seminars at the Whitaker Center.
Whitaker Center for Science and the Arts hosts four free seminars to help Central Pennsylvania artists. For details, call Deborah Peters at 724-3872. Registration is free but required to all sessions. Area art professionals and organizations will offer advice and exchange ideas during the following sessions:
– “Framing and Reproduction of Artwork”: 6 to 8 p.m. March 17 at the Art Center School and Galleries, 18 Artcraft Drive, Mechanicsburg. Call 697-2072 or e-mail firstname.lastname@example.org to register.
– “How to Present a Strong Portfolio”: 6 to 8 p.m. March 24 at the Art Association of Harrisburg, 21 N. Front St., Harrisburg. Call 236-1432 or e-mail email@example.com to register.
– “Critiquing 101: Feel the Love”: 6 to 8 p.m. April 14 at the Susquehanna Art Museum, 301 Market St., Harrisburg. Call 233-8668, ext. 7, or e-mail firstname.lastname@example.org to register.
– “Grant Writing Made Easy”: 6 to 8 p.m. April 21 at Jump Street, 100 N. Cameron St., Suite 108, Harrisburg. Call 238-1887 to register.