In honor of National Jazz Month, York Mayor C. Kim Bracey will hold a free Mini Jazz Fest 5 p.m. to 7 p.m. April 1 at the Strand-Capitol’s Philadelphia Street Studio, 50 N. George St., York. The event will begins with Mayor Bracey presenting a proclamation to local drummer and music instructor Jeff Stabley. Musicians participating in the event include will include jazz saxophonist Tim Warfield, Philadelphia’s Tony Miceli, Lebanon bassist Steve Meashey and Stabley. Read an interview with Warfield.
The Capitol Theatre continues the celebration with screenings of “A Great Day In Harlem” 7:30 p.m. April 1, 7 p.m. April 2 and 3 p.m. April 3 at the Capitol Theatre, 50 N. George St., York. The hour-long documentary, nominated for an Academy Award in 1995, brings audiences back to August 1958, when American jazz musicians gathered outside a Harlem brownstone for a portrait. The movie features interviews with jazz greats including Sonny Rollins, Dizzy Gillespie, Art Blakey and Count Basie. Quincy Jones narrates. The screenings will also include “The Spitball Story,” a short film about jazz frenemies Gillespie and Cab Calloway. Admission to the movie is $7.
About this blogYour source for everything entertainment in southcentral Pennsylvania and beyond. Get updates about regional events, concerts and festivals. Keep up on Hollywood news, gossip and trends. Read reviews and pop culture commentary from our staff. Bookmark this blog.
- Documentary ‘Game On: The World Boardgaming Championships’ captures friendly competition
- New releases: ‘Hypnotic Eye’ by Tom Petty, ‘The Other Woman,’ Remastered version of ‘The Last of Us’
- ‘The Hunger Games: Mockingjay’ trailer Part 1
- Meet York’s new Appell Arts Fellow: Dillon Samuelson
- Regal Cinemas giving away free nachos, Hollywood trip through cheesy selfie contest
Connect With Us
Error: Twitter did not respond. Please wait a few minutes and refresh this page.
- read more on New releases: Bleachers album, ‘Rio 2,’ Harper Lee biography
- Sophia Moors on Former York County musician involved in project that will send someone to space
- sophiamoors on FlipSide guide 6/19/14: Summer Solstice, Codorus Blast, Wingstock, Penn-Mar Irish Festival
- David Janoski on Tea Light Lantern Float Festival set for Saturday in Wrightsville
- Barry Kidd on In search of Jeff Koons collectors and enthusiasts