In honor of National Jazz Month, York Mayor C. Kim Bracey will hold a free Mini Jazz Fest 5 p.m. to 7 p.m. April 1 at the Strand-Capitol’s Philadelphia Street Studio, 50 N. George St., York. The event will begins with Mayor Bracey presenting a proclamation to local drummer and music instructor Jeff Stabley. Musicians participating in the event include will include jazz saxophonist Tim Warfield, Philadelphia’s Tony Miceli, Lebanon bassist Steve Meashey and Stabley. Read an interview with Warfield.
The Capitol Theatre continues the celebration with screenings of “A Great Day In Harlem” 7:30 p.m. April 1, 7 p.m. April 2 and 3 p.m. April 3 at the Capitol Theatre, 50 N. George St., York. The hour-long documentary, nominated for an Academy Award in 1995, brings audiences back to August 1958, when American jazz musicians gathered outside a Harlem brownstone for a portrait. The movie features interviews with jazz greats including Sonny Rollins, Dizzy Gillespie, Art Blakey and Count Basie. Quincy Jones narrates. The screenings will also include “The Spitball Story,” a short film about jazz frenemies Gillespie and Cab Calloway. Admission to the movie is $7.
About this blogYour source for everything entertainment in southcentral Pennsylvania and beyond. Get updates about regional events, concerts and festivals. Keep up on Hollywood news, gossip and trends. Read reviews and pop culture commentary from our staff. Bookmark this blog.
- FlipSide Guide 12/18/14: Music Friday, Holiday Extravaganza, The Night Before Christmas Railroad Tour
- FlipSide Panel: Find out what your friends are doing this Dec. weekend around York, Pa.
- Michael Waterloo: Same passion, different paper
- Craig Wayne Boyd wins ‘The Voice’ Season 7
- Holiday gifs: 12 ways to describe your Christmas spirit right about now
- China indicts Jackie Chan's son on drug charge
- 'Hobbit' goes out on top with $90.6 million 5-day debut
- Here's what local movie-goers think about Sony's cancellation of 'The Interview' premiere
- Martin Memorial Library now accepting submissions for 'Art in mARTin' gallery
- York photographer to display neon body painting photos at Mulberry Studios in Lancaster
Connect With Us