TIME recently released its list of 100 all-time fashion icons. Check out the full list, which includes photographers, models and celebrities. I decided to ask local fashion blogger Hilary Arthur of Arthur&Daughters to share her top 10 fashion style icons:
1. Virginia Miller – My mom! She taught me how to use dressing as a form of self expression. She also instilled in me that making an effort to look good is not vanity but showing that you respect yourself enough to make the effort.
2. Coco Chanel – I love that she always had a clearly defined aesthetic. She was literally and figuratively black and white about everything!
3. Francisco Costa – The opportunity to work with Mr. Costa had a huge influence on my personal style. I learned that within the parameters of minimalism, there is still room for expression through texture, tailoring and layering.
4. Phoebe Philo – If I had to choose one designer’s work to wear exclusively for the rest of my life, it would be Phoebe Philo’s work for Celine. It is the perfect blend of forward edgy modernity and classically chic.
5. Giovanna Battaglia – She is a risk taker but never looks like a victim of fashion.
6. Ali MacGraw – She is my style and HAIR icon! She’s a timeless all-American beauty.
7. Grace Coddington – Although her giant mop of red hair is not something I seek to emulate, her styling is genius! If I’m flipping through Vogue and tear out an image I love, nine times out of 10, it’s her work.
8. Leandra Medine – Her personal style encourages me to push myself out of my comfort zone and never to take dressing too seriously.
9. Garance Dore – I love that she has adopted a style uniform and that she plays with androgeny.
10. The Olson twins – Though I have tried to resist them, I find that I love all their design work from The Row to StyleMint T-shirts.
Who are your fashion icons?