Let the holiday spirit glow during Light Up Night and First Friday festivities 5 to 9 p.m. Friday, Dec. 7, in York. There will be live entertainment, specials and discounts at city shops, restaurants and nightlife hotspots. Here’s an event lineup:
Light Up Night: York’s annual holiday celebration is set for 5 to 8 p.m. in Continental Square. The free event includes live entertainment, children’s activities and horse and buggy rides. At 6:30, Santa is slated to arrive and light the city Christmas tree. Afterward, there will be visiting time with Santa and children’s activities at Martin Library, 159 E. Market St., York. During the event, there will be road closures and parking restrictions downtown. For details visit the event website.
Holiday shopping passports: Shoppers can bring the First Friday passport to select downtown merchants to collect signatures during Dec. 7 festivities. They can turn in completed passports to participating merchants for the chance to win prizes. For details and to download a passport, visit downtownyorkpa.com/first-fridays. York Young Professionals is also featuring a holiday shopping passport.
Music and dance:
– During First Friday from 5:30 to 6:30 p.m., New Hope Academy Charter School students will present an excerpt from their Holiday Variety Show, Greater York Dance students will perform and there will be a holiday sing-a-long with the William Penn Senior High School pep band.
– Jazz in the City will feature students from Curt Sipe’s Inspire Studios 5 to 7 p.m. at the Strand-Capitol Performing Arts Center’s Studio. The entrance is off Philadelphia Street. Admission is $3 or free with student ID.
– Hear the Unforgettable Big Band 8 to 10 p.m. at The Elks Lodge, 223 N. George St. There’s a $5 cover.
– Hear students from Homegrown, visit with York Revolution mascot Downtown and sample crepes from Sucré Salé at Central Market, 34 W. Philadelphia St.
Arts, crafts, books and more:
– Historic York hosts a pre-book release party for author Scott Butcher’s, “Historic Architecture of Pennsylvania,” 5 to 9 p.m. at Marketview Arts, 37 W. Philadelphia St. Visitors can also check out art pieces in the Pennsylvania Arts Experience.
– Sunrise Soap Company, 29 N. Beaver St., will open their kitchen to the public.
– See the art of Victoria Pendragon at Lotus Moon Yoga, 237 N. George St.
– See Santa among the North Beaver Street businesses, with a photo opportunity at the Camera Center of York, 23 N. Beaver St.
– Growing Up Green, 266 W. Market St., will feature wine, cider, winter crafts and discounts on winter wear.
Get more details about First Friday events and deals.
Read more in the Dec. 4 edition of FlipSide.