Find out what’s up this weekend. Read more in our newsletter.
At the Strand-Capitol:
– See “White Christmas” 7 p.m. Friday and Saturday and 3 p.m. Sunday at the Capitol Theatre, 50 N. George St., York. [$7]
– Greater York Dance presents “The Nutcracker” 7 p.m. Saturday and 2 p.m. Sunday at the Strand. [$18 to $45]
At local colleges:
– The Penn State York players present “Talk Radio” 7 p.m. Friday and Saturday at the Pullo Family Performing Arts Center, 1031 Edgecomb Ave., Spring Garden Township. [$5, free with Penn State York student ID]
– See “A Christmas Carol” 1 p.m. today and Saturday at the Collegiate Performing Arts Center at York College, 441 Country Club Road.
– Also at York College: Senior students from York College’s Division of Art will present their work starting at 5 p.m. Friday in DeMeester Recital Hall.
– The indie ensemble Ra Ra Riot performs 7 p.m. Saturday at the Chameleon Club, 223 N. Water St., Lancaster. [$15 to $17]
– Down Dakota and Younger Me perform 7:30 p.m. Saturday at The Parliament, 16 E. King St, York.
– Hear Fattore 6 p.m. during York’s First Friday at Just Cupcakes’ café, 9 W. Philadelphia St. Read about more First Friday happenings here and here.
– Several bands will take the stage Sunday during West Manchester Township’s eighth annual Bluegrass Festival 11 a.m. to 3 p.m. at the Shiloh Fire Co., 2190 Carlisle Road, West Manchester Township. [$5]
– Winter Radio Theater caters to mature audiences with “It’s a Wonderful Christmas Carol,” which merges holiday stories in a collection of SNL-style skits, 6:30 p.m. Sunday and Dec. 16 at Coakley’s Restaurant and Irish Pub, 305 Bridge Street, New Cumberland. [$5, and food donations will be collected for Bethesda Mission]
Food and drink:
– Even Benn, who grew up in York County and writes about food and beer for the St. Louis Post-Dispatch, hosts a chat 1 p.m. Sunday at Mudhook Brewing Co., 34 N. Cherry Lane, York. [$5 advance at the York Jewish Community Center; $7 at the door]
– Visit the Red Brick Bakery and Tea Room, 55 N. Main St., for the Chefs Table four-course dinner event on Friday. Seating is between 6:30 and 7 p.m. [$32.50]
– Each Saturday in December, Shank’s Mare, 2092 Long Level Road, Lower Windsor Township, will highlight a different nonprofit for it’s Give and Give Back program. From 11 a.m. to 2 p.m. Saturday, adults, kids and pets can get photos with Santa and learn about Lower Susquehanna Riverkeeper’s efforts to keep area waterways clean.
– See the “Lord of the Rings” movie marathon Saturday at local theaters.
– There are lots of other holiday events are slated for this weekend.