The theme for the February 2013 First Friday is Paint the Town. Considering that Valentine’s Day is later that month, red might be a good color. But locals can decide what shade they like best. Events, retails specials and entertainment runs 5 to 9 p.m. in downtown York. Here’s an event lineup:
Entertainment and the arts:
– Moved to noon Saturday: Don’t miss a special surprise performance on North Beaver Street.
– Jazz in the City welcomes Ron Water, Steve Rudolph, Steve Meashey and Jeff Stabley 5 to 7 p.m. in the Studio at the Strand-Capitol Performing Arts Center, 50 N. George St. (Entrance is around the corner on Philadelphia Street.) Admission is $3 or free with student ID.
– Check out artwork from guest Artist Harry Smith of Antiquita Glassworks as well as live music and free refreshments at King’s Courtyard Artist’s Collective, 124 E. King St.
– YorkArts, 10 N. Beaver St. will host a Date Night: Pottery event 7 to 9 p.m. Clay and tools are included. Wear clothes you don’t mind getting dirty. Cost if $30 per couple. Register at 717-848-3200.
– Marketview Arts, 37 W. Philadelphia St., will be open for studio tours along with light refreshments. Check out Pennsylvania Arts Experience featured artists Richard Chandler Hoff and Kim Heindel-Toner.
– Take in cigar box guitar tunes of Shane Speal 7 p.m. at Liquid Hero Brewery, 50 E. North St.
Deals, openings and valentines:
– There will be ribbon cuttings at two new businesses: Aura4Her, 272 W. Market St., and Lotus Moon Yoga’s new studio, located at 36 N. Beaver St. Mayor Bracey will help open the spaces at 4 p.m. and 5 p.m., respectively.
– Go speed dating at La Casa de Tapas, 251 N. George St. Admission is $10 and includes free tapas and soft drinks. Reserve your spot by calling 717-668-8915.
– Maewyn’s, 110 N. George St., will have a glassware giveaway with Long Trail Brewery 6 to 8 p.m. When Karma was King will perform at 9 p.m.
– Stop by Park Street Pantry, at 24 North Beaver Street, to pick up Seattle Chocolates’ candy heart boxes and truffles. Pick up a truffle sampler pack for $2.
– Wear red to The Watchmaker’s Daughter, 22 N. Beaver St., for a free gift and Kimman’s, 57 N. Beaver St., for 15 percent off your purchase.
– Studio 11 West, 11 West Philadelphia St., is offering 10 Minutes in the Studio for $10.