Find out what’s up this weekend. Read more in our newsletter.
At the Strand Capitol Performing Arts Center, 50 N. George St., York:
– Enjoy classical music 7:30 p.m. Saturday as the York Symphony Orchestra performs its Classical Series No. 3 at the Strand. Guest artists include Barbra Duvall Baker, Clifford Tretick and Gretchen Dekker. There will be a free Live at Lunch show 8 p.m. Friday. [$36, $46 and $56 for adults; $18 for students]
– “Hair” hits the stage 4 p.m. Sunday at the Strand. The musical follows young Americans searching for peace and love in the 1960s. [$43, $58 and $69]
Mardis Gras in March:
– Attend the Mardi Gras Masquerade 5:30 p.m. Saturday at the Valencia Ballroom, 142 North George St., York. The event will include a full dinner, music, dancing, games and auctions. Cocktail attire is preferred. [$75; proceeds benefit Spring Grove Area Scholarship Foundation]
– Enjoy a fun weekend on the slopes as Roundtop Mountain Resort, 925 Roundtop Road, Warrington Township, hosts a Mardi Gras Party, chili cookoff and mogul contest Saturday. The weekend will be capped off by a pond skimming event at 2 p.m. Sunday.
– Gettysburg Community Theatre, 49 York St., Gettysburg, presents “The Wizard of Oz” 7 p.m. Friday, 2 and 7 p.m. Saturday and 2 p.m. Sunday. [$11 for reserved seating]
– See the award-winning play “The Vagina Monologues” 6:30 p.m. Friday and 4 p.m. Saturday at Harrisburg Midtown Arts Center’s Stage on Herr, 268 Herr St., Harrisburg. [$10; benefits The LGBT Center of Central PA]
– Hear five-time International Bluegrass Music Association Female Vocalist of the Year winner Dale Ann Bradley 7 Saturday night at Goodwill Fire Company, 2318 S. Queen St., York Township, as part of the Seven Mountains Bluegrass Association music series. [$15 for SMBA members; $18 for nonmembers; free for kids 12 and younger]
– See “After Anne Frank” 3 p.m. Sunday at the York Jewish Community Center, 2000 Hollywood Drive, York Township. The one-woman show, which will be broadcast from New York, follows an actress’s lifelong relationship with the Anne Frank story. [Free]
The great outdoors:
– Learn about services offered by local home and garden vendors from 5 to 9 p.m. tonight and Friday and 10 a.m. to 7 p.m. Saturday during the 61st annual Builders Home & Garden Show, held at the former JCPenney store, North Hanover Mall, 1155 Carlisle St., Hanover. [$5, free for children age 15 and younger when accompanied by an adult]
– Prepare for camping and family travel that awaits you during the York Campers World RV Show 10 a.m. to 9 p.m. Saturday and 11 a.m. to 5 p.m. Sunday at the York Expo Center, 334 Carlisle Ave., West Manchester Township. [$8 for adults and children 12 years old and younger are admitted free]
– Attend opening night at Millersville University’s Latino Arts Festival 6 tonight at The Ware Center, 42 N. Prince St., Lancaster. It will include Latino music and art. The festival runs through Sunday and encompasses several events. [Ticket prices vary]
– Don’t forget: Tickets go on sale 9 a.m. Saturday for the Halestorm concert and Austin Mahone and Coco Jones concert at the York Fair.
– Take a step back into the ’80s at 9 p.m. Saturday at the Chameleon Club, 223 N. Water St., Lancaster, for the Black & White New Wave ’80s dance party. DJ Kiltboy will entertain the crowd at this [$5; 21 and older event; benefits people in South Central Pennsylvania with HIV and AIDS]
– St. Patrick’s Day events are already scheduled this weekend and through the coming week. Check out our listings.