Find out what’s up this weekend. Find more events in our newsletter.
150th anniversary of Gettysburg:
– Prepare for the local Civil War anniversary celebrations with the York County Heritage Trust’s “The Fiery Trial: York County’s Civil War Experience,” set to open to the public Saturday at the Historical Society Museum, 250 E. Market St., York. [Free 10 a.m. to 4 p.m. Saturday; half-priced admission noon to 4 p.m. Sunday]
– Discuss the Civil War over a cup of tea with Clara Barton at 2:30 p.m. Saturday at the John Harris and Simon Cameron Mansion, 219 S. Front St., Harrisburg. American Historical Theatre actress Pat Jordan will portray Barton. [$15; reserve tickets in advance]
– In the Gettysburg area? Make a date at the town’s Springhouse Tavern at the Dobbin House.
– Click here and here for more events and stories about the 150th.
– Indigo Girls take the stage 7:30 tonight at the Strand-Capitol Performing Arts Center, 50 N. George St., York. [$42, $46 and $50]
– Hear Harry Connick Jr. 8 p.m. Friday at American Music Theatre, 2425 Lincoln Highway East, Lancaster. [$85 to $125]
– See The Beatles tribute The Day Trippers 1 to 4 p.m. Saturday at the Hummingbird Ridge Winery, 735 Kise Mill Road, Newberrytown. [Free admission, parking and tastings]
– Crack up with “Saturday Night Live” alum Tim Meadows 7:30 and 10 p.m. Saturday and Sunday at Second Street Comedy Club, 236 N. 2nd St., Harrisburg. [$25]
At the movies:
– Meet Tony Mendez, whose story was told in the Oscar-winning movie “Argo” Saturday at the Carlisle Theatre, 40 W. High St., Carlisle. A VIP session runs 5 to 6 p.m. The “Argo” screening starts at 6:30 p.m. and will be followed by the discussion. [$10 for general admission and $30 for VIP]
– See “Saving Private Ryan” 8 p.m. Saturday and 2 p.m. Sunday The Elks Theatre, 4 West Emaus St., Middletown. On Saturday, there will be a collection of World War II memorabilia on display and a tribute to veterans before the screening. [$8]
– The Shrewsbury Volunteer Firemen’s Carnival runs through Saturday night and will have bands, rides, games and food. Fireworks are scheduled for Saturday night. [Click here for an admission coupon]
– See local gardens and plant sanctuaries during the eighth annual Gardening With Native Plants – The Tour 9 a.m. to 5 p.m. Saturday throughout York County. [Advance tickets are $8 at the county Penn State Extension office, 112 Pleasant Acres Road, Springettsbury Township, or $10 the day of the event; children 12 years old and younger are free; rain date is Sunday]
– Sample York-area wines while walking your pooch during the York County SPCA’s Woof and Wine event 3 to 7 p.m. Saturday at Brown’s Orchards and Farm Market, 8892 Susquehanna Trail South, Springfield Township. [$25]