Find out what’s up this weekend. Find more events in our newsletter.
It’s a busy late-summer weekend in York:
– Get the details about Yorkfest, the Cigar Box Guitar Fest and the Leading the Give event Sunday at Sovereign Bank Stadium.
– You don’t have to leave the city to spend the day at the beach: Head over to Mudhook Brewing Co., 34 N. Cherry Lane, for a beach party with live music, specials, games and sand Friday and Saturday.
Feast on crabs:
- Bring your own bib to the Second Annual Crab Fest 2 to 6 p.m. Saturday at Appalachian Brewing Co., 50 N. Cameron St., Harrisburg. The menu features blue crabs, snow crab legs, crab soup, cocktails and more. [Prices vary; call 717-221-1080 to pre-order bushels and dozens]
– Enjoy crabs and music during the End of Summer Celebration at Brown’s Orchards and Farm Market, 8892 Susquehanna Trail South, Springfield Township. The music and food is available 3 to 7 p.m. And open mike runs 4:30 to 7:30 p.m.
Festivals and fairs:
– Bring the family to the South Mountain Fair to enjoy rides, animals, games and food 4 to 10 p.m. today and Friday and 10 a.m. to 10 p.m. The fair is located 10 miles northwest of Gettysburg on Route 234 in Arendtsville. [$4 for adults; free for kids 12 and younger]
– Bite into fresh sweet corn on the cob, sip chicken corn soup and enjoy more food and fun 10 a.m. to 2 p.m. Saturday at the Sweet Corn Festival, at Newberrytown Peddlers Market, 700 York Road, Newberry Township.
– Take in Troegs (and other beers) with a side of tropical tunes at the Summer Brews & Tunes Festival 1 to 10:30 p.m. Saturday at The Vineyard at Hershey, 598 Schoolhouse Road, Middletown. [$30 at the gate; proceeds benefit Easter Seals]
– Journey back millions of years to the time of dinosaurs during Summer Science Night 5 to 8 p.m. Friday at the Whitaker Center, 222 Market St., Harrisburg. The event will feature interactive dinosaur such as Tyrannosaurus Rex, Stegosaurus, and Triceratops. [Call 717-214-ARTS for tickets]
– Be entertained by a man-eating plant as the musical comedy “Little Shop of Horrors” takes the stage 7 p.m. Friday, 2 and 7 p.m. Saturday and 2 p.m. Sunday at Gettysburg Community Theatre, 49 York St., Gettysburg. [$15]
– Learn to fish or sharpen your skills 9 a.m. to noon Saturday at Lake Redman near Jacobus during the Family Fishing Program. No skill or equipment is necessary. [Register by calling 717-486-7352]
– York County Fiddlers’ Association convention is 10 a.m. to 10 p.m. Saturday in Brogue.
– Take A Walk Through Candyland 1 to 5 p.m. Saturday and Sunday at the Shrewsbury Flower Show in the Shrewsbury Fire Hall, 25 W. Forrest Ave. Visitor can vote on their favorite display, which will feature local flowers and plants. [Admission by donation]