While waiting for Tout to push an update for their Android app that allows trimming and splicing, here is a robust way to quickly trim and assemble video clips on your Android device with an option to do much more.
- I prefer to shoot video directly with my Android handset, it’s quicker and more stable than opening an app
- Keep shooting your clip and trim out the meat of it later, not limited by the total allowed length and missing a moment. Shoot one after another rapidly.
- Not worry about keeping the Tout app open between shooting clips and loosing earlier clips if app closes
- Not worry about crashes, loss when you need to multitask between shooting clips in an open Tout project
- Clips previously shot at an event are available by default to compile later with new clips giving your new video edit more options
- Save time and space by keeping all the shooting/editing/processing/uploading in the handset
I am using a Moto X. It’s a quick shooter. Twist your wrist, start rolling/saving video, swipe up to zoom, built in steady cam.
The Moto X is pretty close to stock Android 4.4, the gallery of your device may vary. My video clips collect at the top of my gallery in the order shot or processed by default.
I like to trim my clips using the built-in trim tool, at left, (a link off any video) before importing the clip into the video editor. That speeds the import of each clip into the video editor.
The trimmed clips are saved above the originals in the gallery.
AndroVid Video Editor in Google Play is a robust video editing program for your Android phone and tablet that is simple to handle. I bought AndroVid Pro through an in app purchase.
For Tout, all we need to do is join clips and render the usually large video files into a smaller file for upload into Tout.
If your phone doesn’t have a built trim function, you can also trim in AndroVid, as well as add text, filters, add a sound track over video and stills and make a slide show (video) from stills.
I save the combined clips into a new video. It appears at the top of my gallery.