The weekly Wellness Wrap provides links to recent health and fitness news and lists events that will help you stay fit during the weekend. Check back every Friday morning. Have an interesting health or fitness-related link or event to share? Leave a comment or email me at email@example.com.
Hello and welcome, new followers. Happy American Heart Month! The goal here is to have fun, while providing health links for your consideration.
Sugar under fire: Americans are addicted to the sweet stuff. High-sugar sodas and juices are seen as culprits. So, what’s with Coke’s new marketing campaign? Read more about the sugar debate and if America is losing its taste for another polarizing sweetener: high-fructose corn syrup.
Your mom always told you to eat breakfast. She was right. It’s still the most important meal of the day. Add a healthy boost to you morning routine with blueberries and strawberries, since a new study found that they reduced risk of heart attacks in women. Fresh or frozen, it’s all good when it comes to fruit.
Myth bustin’ time! Think exercise is all about burning calories? Hormones count, too. Limiting TV doesn’t necessarily make kids more active. We all know it’s not good to sit for hours at the office, but stability balls and treadmill desks come with risks.
Get updates and find ways to stay fit this weekend on the jump.
– Check out two new sports facilities in York County: Backyard University, 201 S. Charles St, Red Lion, celebrated its grand opening Jan. 26. And ThunderFitness, 2808 E. Prospect Road, York Township, is a new fitness center for kids.
– Crossfit York is moving from its current location on Spahn Road to 147 W. Philadelphia St., starting today. Check out photos of the new fitness trend that builds muscle without machines.
– Lotus Moon Yoga will have its grand opening this afternoon at its new downtown York spot, 36 N. Beaver St. Get details.
– Registration for the 2013 Blue Cross Broad Street Run May 5 in Philadelphia will be done through a lottery this year. The lottery opens Monday and closes Feb. 15. Get details. (I did this 10-mile run with my dad in the past. It’s a blast!)
– Registration also recently opened for the Hershey Half Marathon 2013 to be held Oct. 20. Get details and remember, races are great ways to get you – and keep you – motivated to work out!
Stay fit weekend tip:
If you haven’t heard, the Super Bowl is this weekend. Instead of watching all the action while snacking on the couch, make healthy munchies and get up and move during commercial breaks.