When it comes to knowing the nutrition information of the chicken wing — one of America’s favorite delicacies — ignorance is bliss.
But we’re going to hit you with it, anyway. One mild buffalo wing from Pizza Hut has 65 calories and 3 grams of fat. If you eat eight, that’s 520 calories and 24 grams of fat. Dip those wings in 1.5 ounces of blue cheese dressing, and tack on another 230 calories and 24 grams of fat. So after eating eight chicken wings, you consume 750 calories and 48 grams of fat. Yikes.
Here’s the problem with buffalo wings: The skin adds more calories and fat, they’re deep-friend and coated with butter-based sauce. All that fat makes hot wings appealing to our taste buds. Not so appealing to our waistlines.
This recipe for Buffalo Chicken Bites lightens up the classic dish, while maintaining the much loved juiciness and flavor. Before serving, sprinkle with a tablespoon of crumbly blue cheese and add a side of celery.
Buffalo Chicken Bites
12 ounces boneless skinless chicken thighs, chopped
1/3 cup whole-wheat flour
1/8 teaspoon salt
1/8 teaspoon pepper
1/8 teaspoon garlic powder
1/3 cup Red Hot
1/4 cup low-sodium chicken broth
1. Chop 12 ounces of boneless skinless chicken thighs.
2. Add seasonings to flour, and toss chicken chunks in the flour.
3. In a small bowl, mix Red Hot with chicken broth.
4. Heat pan to medium-high. Add 1 tablespoon olive oil, and heat for 30 seconds.
5. Add chicken, and cook on one side for three minutes or until bottom starts to brown. Flip, lower to medium heat, and continue to cook for about five minutes or until the coating is crispy.
6. Add sauce, and cook for another minute. The sauce should thicken.
Nutrition information (serves 3): 225 calories, 11 grams fat, 10 grams carbohydrates, 24 grams protein
More good-for-you appetizers and snacks
Zucchini Chips light, cheesy and crisp