I’m in the food grey zone: I really want to see the colors of spring in salads and lighter dishes, but the bitter cold and snow also have me craving hearty meals.
So, I whipped up the tried-and-true meal that is lasagna. I used vegan ingredients for this recipe, and it was just as creamy as if I used the original dairy ingredients. Also, I added Boca Burger fake meat crumbles to add some “meat” to it, without the meat part. I also cut corners with frozen spinach, using spices instead of onion and garlic, and a jar of marinara sauce. If you have homemade, use that instead.
Some cooks can be intimidated by lasagna-making, but it isn’t hard. The worst part is making the different components before assembly. Once you have that done, have some fun putting it all together.
And then get someone else to do the dishes!
Vegan creamy spinach lasagna
veganized version of this Myrecipes.com recipe
Serves: 8 large pieces
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 1/2 package frozen chopped spinach, thawed a little
- 1/3 cup all-purpose flour
- 3 cups Silk Lite milk
- 1/2 tablespoon onion powder
- 1/2 tablespoon garlic powder
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1/4 teaspoon freshly ground black pepper
- 1/4 teaspoon ground red pepper
- 1 (26-ounce) jar marinara sauce
- Cooking spray
- 1 box cooked lasagna noodles
- 1 bag Boca Burger crumbles, partially thawed
- 1 bag Daiya vegan mozzarella cheese
- Preheat oven to 375°.
- Heat oil in a large skillet over medium heat. Add spinach, onion powder and garlic powder. Cover and cook 3 minutes or until spinach is tender. Set aside.
- Combine flour, milk, salt, black pepper, and red pepper in a small saucepan, stirring with a whisk. Bring to a boil over medium-high heat, stirring frequently. Reduce heat and simmer 1 minute, stirring frequently.
- Add 2 cups milk mixture to spinach mixture. Cover remaining milk mixture, and set aside.
- Place a partially thawed bag of Boca Burger crumbles in a bowl, and heat in a microwave for 2 minutes. Set aside.
- Coat a 13 x 9-inch baking dish with cooking spray, then add a 1/2 cup of tomato sauce.
- Arrange 3 lasagna noodles over sauce; top with half of spinach mixture. Top with 3 lasagna noodles, 1 cup marinara sauce, 1/2 cup of Boca Burger crumbles and 3/4 cup cheese.
- Do two more rounds of these layers.
- Place one last layer of lasagna noodles. Top with remaining marinara sauce. Pour reserved milk mixture over the top, and sprinkle with remaining 3/4 cup cheese.
- Bake at 375° for 50 minutes or until lasagna is browned on top. Let sit for 10 minutes before serving.
Have a recipe to share? Email firstname.lastname@example.org.