Looking for an excuse to get active? Here’s a listing of local events, recreation leagues, tournaments, camps, clinics, classes and more. Click the links at the top to jump between categories. Have a listing you’d like us to include? Email it to firstname.lastname@example.org.
- Foot Power calendar: Local races for runners, cyclists and more
- Community notes: Classes, clinics and other events
- Program sign-ups: Rec and youth sports leagues and teams
- Summer camps: Search our database of summer camps, from sports camps to arts camps, or submit your event to be included in our collection.
- Help wanted: Coaches, referees, officials, volunteers. (Looking for high school coaching openings? Head over to the Varsity Beat!)
- Upcoming charitable golf events from the Gopher Hole blog
Foot Power calendar: Local races for runners, cyclists and more
Community notes: Classes, clinics and other events
- 2013 YAIAA Cheerleading Competition: The 2013 YAIAA Cheerleading competition will be held on Saturday Dec. 7 at 5 p.m. at Dallastown High School. Doors will open for the general public at 4 p.m. Ticket prices are $5 for adults and $3 for student. 11 YAIAA teams will participate in three division, small, large and co-ed.
- Jingle Bell Run/Walk: The Jingle Bell Run/Walk for Arthritis steps off at 1 p.m. Dec. 8 at WellSpan Apple Hill Health Campus. Registration and festivities begin at 11:30 a.m. Jingle Bell Run/Walk for Arthritis is a 5K (3.1 mile) run/walk for competitive and non-competitive runners and walkers.
- U.S. volleyball coach clinic: Karch Kiraly, the coach of the USA Volleyball Team, will be making an appearance at 7 p.m. Dec. 11, at Spooky Nook Sports for a Coaching Clinic This clinic includes interactive drills and a question/answer session. Karch will discuss his transition from player to coach and his coaching strategy. This event is open to the public at the cost of $25. Sign up on the Spooky Nook website or contact Brad Glouner at email@example.com.
- Hanover Rhinos Santa Bowl II: The Hanover Rhinos and Metro Phoenix will team up in a Toys for Tots Charity Football game held at Hanover Middle School on Saturday Dec. 14 at 2 p.m. Cost is $5 per person or one unwrapped toy.
- Avalanche Xpress Mite Outdoor Classic Hockey Series: Heritage Hills & Travel Champs will host the Avalanche Xpress Mite Outdoor Classic Hockey Series over eight select weekends starting Saturday, Dec. 14 through Saturday, March 8, 2014. Hockey teams interested in participating in the 8 and under series can register online at TravelChamps.com. For additional information about the series including dates and information about overnight hotel packages, visit AvalancheXpress.com.
- Spooky Nook Sports: The Harrisburg City Islanders soccer team will be hosting an indoor training program at Spooky Nook Sports Complex at 2913 Spooky Nook Road, Manheim, PA 17545. The six week program beginning in January will have two age groupings of ages 6-8 as well as 9-14. For additional information and to register visit cityislanders.com or email firstname.lastname@example.org.
- 12th annual Stars and Stripes Invitational: One of the largest gymnastics invitational will be returning to the Bayfront Convention Center in Erie on Jan. 10-12. Athletes ages 5 to 18 will compete to qualify for the state championships. Admission for the event is $12 for adults and $7 for children. All military, fire, rescue and police are admitted to the event free of charge.
Program signups: Rec sports leagues and teams for kids and adults
- Oakland Raiders fans: The Oakland Raiders Boosters of York is hosting Raiders games, with Raiders fans, at Brenn’s Pub, Colony Park North. For more information visit www.rboy.org or visit Brenn’s Pub any time the Raiders are playing. For more information contact Mike Roseberry, vice president of Raiders Boosters of York, at email@example.com or leave a message at 717-852-3203.
- Youth Basketball: Registrations for the youth basketball league beginning on Dec. 7 at the Bob Hoffman YMCA in Dover are now being accepted. The league is for boys and girls ages 4-11, who are beginners or experienced players. For more information or to register, visit the Bob Hoffman YMCA at 1705 Palomino Road, Dover, or call 292-5622.
- 2014 Mason Dixon Ruffnecks travel baseball: The team is looking for additional players between 8 and 13 years old. Visit www.masondixonruffnecks.com for tryout information.
- Presidents Day Lacrosse Shootout: Team registrations are now being accepted for the President’s Day Lax In-door Shoot-Out scheduled for Feb. 17 in Hampstead, MD. The Shoot-Out is open to all school, recreation and club affiliated boy’s lacrosse teams within the mid-Atlantic region. The tournament will features round-robin competition for various age groupings with all teams being guaranteed a minimum of four games. Registration forms and additional information is available at usamateursports.com under lacrosse or by e-mailing firstname.lastname@example.org or calling 410-493-5182.
- Windmill Pitching Clinic: The clinic will be held Saturdays through Feb. 22 at various times in Westminster, Md. This is a fast-pitch clinic for girls of all ages, with instructions in the art of fast-pitch pitching. Instruction provided is for beginners as well as experienced pitchers. For more information and prices, call 410-374-6614.
- NC Fury: An indoor clinic will be run January through March for girls’ 16U and 18U who want to play fast-pitch softball on the tournament level. Registration is free. For more information call 410-374-6614 or e-mail email@example.com.
- Zumba classes: The Dover YMCA is hosting classes from 11:30 a.m. to 12:30 p.m. every Saturday at the Bob Hoffman YMCA in Dover. For more information contact 292-5622.
- YMCA-York Revolution diamond academy: Winter clinics will be held November to February at Santander Stadium. Prices for the clinics vary and they are open to ages 8 and older. For more information contact Doug Markel at 843-7884 ext. 248.
- West Shore Recreation Commission: Registrations are being accepted for the following sports/wellness programs: tennis, volleyball, youth golf, belly dance workshops, wushu, yoga for wealth, and diving lessons. For additional information on the programs provided, or to register, call 920-9515 or visit www.westshorerec.org.
- Razorbacks Softball Club: Players are being accepted for the 2013 fall and 2014 summer seasons. Interested players in grades 8-10 should contact Jere Flick at 940-1549.
- Northern York Fastpitch Association: The team is seeking a select few skilled players for its 14U and 12U 2013-2014 travel teams. The team will compete primarily in the USSSA Class C tournaments. For information on the 14U team, contact Craig Shaffer at 578-4410 or firstname.lastname@example.org. For the 12U team, contact Jeff Kessinger at 688-4264 or email@example.com.
- York Youth Soccer League: Registrations are being accepted for the fall and spring seasons. York Youth Soccer League is a recreational soccer program for ages 4-13. Information and registration forms are available at www.yysl.org.
- York Unity girls’ AAU: Online registrations are being accepted for girls in seventh grade who want to play basketball at the national level, as well as girls in 10th through 12th grades who are interested in playing at the college level. Visit www.yorkunitysports.com for details or email Mike Englar at firstname.lastname@example.org.
- Yoga classes: Classes for various levels of experience will be held at the Dover municipal building, 2480 West Canal Road. Beginner classes will be at 5:30 p.m. Tuesdays and Thursdays and 8:30 a.m. Saturdays. Intermediate classes will be 6:45 p.m. Tuesdays and Thursdays. Call instructor Milly Jo Merket at 792-0341 with questions.
- Toddler and preschool swim classes: YWCA York is offering toddler and preschool swim classes for children 6 months to 4 years old. Day and evening lessons are available. A basic YWCA membership is required. Visit www.ywcayork.org, call Kathy Warner at 845-2631, ext. 114, or email email@example.com.
- Marauder Masters Swimming: A new USMS swimming program is available for anyone 18 years or older in Millersville. Visit https://sites.google.com/site/maraudermastersswimming for information on practice times and locations, fees, and registration. If you have any additional questions, contact firstname.lastname@example.org.
Help wanted: Coaches, referees, officials, volunteers
(Looking for high school coaching openings? Head over to the Varsity Beat!)
- The York YMCA’s Baseball/Softball Academy is looking for additional part-time staff to work with youth and teens weekday evenings and/or weekends beginning this fall. Hours are flexible, based on staff availability. Pay and a free membership to the YMCA of York and York County. The academy is moving into Sovereign Bank Stadium as of October of this year so all hours will be at Sovereign Bank Stadium. If interested or questions, contact Doug Markel at email@example.com.
- The York YMCA is now accepting applications for a Basketball Program Coordinator to lead youth, teen and adult basketball programs. The position is part-time with flexible hours on weekday evenings and/or weekend hours beginning fall, 2013. For more information, contact Doug Markel at firstname.lastname@example.org or 843-7884 ext. 248 for details.
- The JCC is looking to hire a Youth Fitness Instructor. The candidate for this position must be able to work well with children, have knowledge of physical and sports education, be highly motivated, and have at least 1 year experience teaching children with a certification in CPR and First Aid. The education and experience requirements are a bachelors degree in Physical Education or fitness related degree or certifications. Potential candidates should submit a completed employment application and resume to Holly Metzger, Youth Fitness Director, at email@example.com or to her attention at the front desk.