Looking for an excuse to get active? Here’s a listing of local events, recreation leagues, tournaments, camps, clinics, classes and more. Click the links at the top to jump between categories. Have a listing you’d like us to include? Email it to firstname.lastname@example.org.
- Foot Power calendar: Local races for runners, cyclists and more
- Community notes: Classes, clinics and other events
- Program sign-ups: Rec and youth sports leagues and teams
- Summer camps: Search our database of summer camps, from sports camps to arts camps, or submit your event to be included in our collection.
- Help wanted: Coaches, referees, officials, volunteers. (Looking for high school coaching openings? Head over to the Varsity Beat!)
- Upcoming charitable golf events from the Gopher Hole blog
Foot Power calendar: Local races for runners, cyclists and more
- No events scheduled.
Community notes: Classes, clinics and other events
- Fishing Show and Flea Market: Monaghan Township fire company will hold a fishing show and flea market 8 a.m. to 4 p.m. Jan. 25 and 9 a.m. to 3 p.m. Jan. 26 at the firehouse in Dillsburg. A $3 donation is required for admission. New, used and antique equipment will be available for purchase as well as tournament information. All proceeds from the event benefit the fire company. For more information contact Bob Stahl 796-9533 or 991-1015.
- York Hiking Club: The York Hiking Club will hold two more hikes during January. The next will be Jan. 26, involving 11 miles hiking through Michaux State Forest. Meet at Adams Electric at 8 a.m. Car pool fee is $5, and hikers should bring boots, lunch, water and snacks. For additional information on the hikes visit yorkhikingclub.com.
- Volksmarch: A Volksmarch will be 8 a.m. to 1 p.m. Feb. 2 at the York Ice Arena. All are welcome to walk the event. There is a $3 charge for IVV/AVA credit. For more information contact Gloria Reedy, 292-3777, Pat Strausbuagh, 764-6150.
- Fishing workshop: The eighth annual fishing workshop will be 9 a.m. to 2:30 p.m. Feb. 8 at Hoffman Community Building in Quarryville. Expert anglers will provide presentations on productive rigs for striped bass, flounder, croaker, bluefish, sea bass, tog and other popular saltwater and freshwater species. The workshop will feature hands-on knot-tying and rig-making demonstrations, detailed diagrams of dozens of productive rigs, question-and-answer sessions with the pros, informative hand-out materials and free door prizes. Advanced registration is only $25, $15 for women and children. Admission at the door will be $30. Call Keith Kaufman at 284-3385.
- Softball showcase: Shippensburg University is holding a one-day showcase and clinic 9 a.m. to 4 p.m. Feb. 9 inside Heiges Field House and Henderson Gymnasium. The sessions will focus on a variety of skills. Each session will last 1 1/2 hours. For additional information, consult Brookens at 477-1328 or email@example.com, or assistant Alison Pittman at Alison.firstname.lastname@example.org.
- Sweetheart Bingo: The Hanover Athletic Booster Club is holding a Sweetheart Bingo featuring Longaberger, Vera Bradley and Silpada products Feb. 9 at Midway Fire Company. All funds raised benefit Hanover School District athletes, cheerleaders and teams in grades 7 through 12. Full prize sponsorships are available for $50 or half sponsorships for $25. Donations of any other amount, or gift cards, are always welcome. Contact Brian Frederick 632-7173 or email@example.com for more information.
- Philadelphia Soul tryout: The Philadelphia Soul will hold an open tryout at 9 a.m. Feb. 15 at the NovaCare Complex. Registration will open at 8 a.m. A pre-registration fee of $60 is due Feb. 13, the fee will increase to $80 after the deadline. Players will be tested on their 40-yard time, broad jump and short shuttle with other position-specific drills and one-on-ones to follow. For more information contact Tom Goodhines, 215 840-3232.
- Central Maryland Soccer Association: Team registrations for the 2014 spring Sunday league will be accepted until Feb. 17. The spring season will consist of six games scheduled during March, April and May, with optional participation in the Old Line State Classic during the weekend of April 12-13. Male and female team competitions are offered in the single age level groupings of U8 through U14, with dual age competition for high school level teams. Additional information and registration forms are available at www.cmsasoccer.com. Email firstname.lastname@example.org or call 443-900-2130 with questions.
- Big 33 Cheer Tryouts: The Tryouts for the Big 33 will be 1 to 4 p.m. on Feb. 16 at Granada Ave. Gym 30 East Granada Ave. Hershey, PA. Registration will be 12:45 to 1 p.m. and the cost is $40. All necessary cheerleading materials and information will be posted on www.big33.org.
- President’s Day lacrosse event: Team registrations are being accepted for the President’s Day Lax Indoor Shoot-Out Feb. 17 in Hampstead, Md. The shoot-out is open to all school, recreation and club affiliated boys’ lacrosse teams within the Mid-Atlantic region. The tournament will feature round-robin competition for various age groupings with all teams being guaranteed a minimum of four games. Find registration forms and more information at usamateursports.com under lacrosse, or contact email@example.com or 410-493-5182.
- Baseball showcase: The All-American Baseball Academy will hold a Prep Baseball Report Future Prospects Showcase on March 30 in Warrington, Pa. The event is open to high school athletes who will graduate in 2017, 2018 and 2019. It will introduce prospects in grades 7 and 8 to the format of a baseball showcase, and players will receive instruction as to what college coaches and scouts are looking for at this type of event. For more information, visit www.prepbaseballreport.com/pennsylvania/events or contact Jacob Gill at firstname.lastname@example.org.
- Youth baseball: The Erie Sports Commission and Game Day USA are hosting a Erie Super Regional baseball tournament June 13-15 at David G. Long Baseball Complex. Approximately 60 teams from Pennsylvania, Ohio, New York and Canada will be participating, and the event includes all age divisions. For more information on Game Day USA visit http://www.gamedayusa.com.
- Old Line State Classic: Team registrations are now being accepted for the Central Maryland soccer association’s 17th annual old line state classic. The event is scheduled to take place April 12-13 at venues within Harford County, MD. The Classic is open to all USSF youth affiliated school, recreation and club teams located in the mid-Atlantic region. The tournament features a round-robin format with all teams being guaranteed a minimum of three games. The first and second place finishers in each division will receive team and individual awards. The tournament registration deadline is March 24. Registration forms are available on the tournament’s web page located at www.cmsasoccer.com. Contact the CMSA office at email@example.com, 410-686-2212.
- Cheerleading Event: Fathom Events and Nfinity Athletic are screening Nfinity Champions league cheerleading event in theaters at 7:30 p.m. April 10. The event will feature routines showcasing acrobatics, gymnastics, and dance from 30 of the country’s elite cheerleading teams as they gather in Atlanta for a three-day competition. Tickets are available at theater box offices and at www.FathomEvents.com.
Program signups: Rec sports leagues and teams for kids and adults
- Triathlon Swim Clinic: The YWCA is hosting clinics to improve the swimming portions of a triathlon from 2-4 p.m. Jan. 24-April 12. Contact Tara Neff, firstname.lastname@example.org or 434-1749 for questions.
- The Graham Group/Grimes Gym Youth Basketball League: The league is accepting teams in grades 6 through 12. The deadline to enter a team is Jan. 24. The games will be Wednesday and Saturday evenings at Voni Grimes Gym beginning Feb. 5. No youth that plays for a high school team is permitted in this league. For more information, call York City Recreation & Parks at 854-1587.
- Winter Baseball Clinic: Delone Catholic will host basketball clinic on Sundays Jan. 26 and Feb. 9, 16 and 23. Clinics for grades K-4 will run 5 to 6:30 p.m., and grades 5-8 will be 6:30 to 8 p.m. at the Delone Catholic gym. Registration forms can be found on the Delone Catholic website under athletics and Squire summer sport camps and winter clinics.
- Zions View Athletic Association: Registration for Northeastern Little League baseball, girls’ fastpitch softball and soccer will be 10 a.m. to 2 p.m. Jan. 18 at Eagle Fire Company in Mount Wolf and 5 to 8 p.m. Jan. 23 at the ZVAA. For more information or to register, visit www.ZionsView.com
- Millersville University softball: Millersville University is hosting a series of clinics this winter: Youth coaching clinic for 10U, 12U and 14U from 9 a.m. to 2 p.m. Jan. 25, youth skills clinic for ages 9-13 from 9 a.m. to 2 p.m. Jan. 26, and a tune-up clinic for high school grades 9-12 from 9 a.m. to 2 p.m. Feb 1. and 2. Learn more at www.millersvillesoftballcamps.com
- Windsor Area Recreation Commission: The Windsor Area Recreation Commission will hold registration for spring 2014 youth baseball and softball 6 to 8 p.m. Jan. 27 and 28 at the Windsor Township building, 1480 Windsor Road. These programs are open to ages 7-18 for baseball and ages 5-16 for softball. Baseball participants must bring a copy of their birth certificate, regardless of whether they participated in the past. Registration forms available at the Windsor Township office and at www.windsorrec.com. For additional details, call Chris Shaffer at 244-3512.
- Hampstead softball: In-person sign-ups for the 2014 softball season open soon. Registration for ages 8-12 and ages 4-6 will be 6:30 to 8 p.m. Jan. 29 and Feb. 5 at Spring Garden Elementary School. Home games will be played at the Hampstead Lions fields. League play will be determined by sign-ups. Visit www.erols.com/ncgfp to print a mail-in registration. For more information contact 410-374-6614 or e-mail email@example.com.
- Ballyhoo Club Sports at HHAC: Registration is open through Feb. 1 for the Ballyhoo Club AAU basketball team directed by Kevin Bankos. The season runs March to July with practices twice a week and tournaments on the weekend. The Heritage Hills Athletic Club also has teams in volleyball and field hockey. Both programs are currently in-season. All athletes receive a free membership to the HHAC with their participation in the programs. For additional information contact Kevin Bankos at 757-4833 or Kevin.Bankos@hhgr.com.
- Mansfield baseball classic: Mansfield University baseball team is holding several tournaments June 6 through Aug. 29 for teams ages 13-19. Registration cost is $425 for teams commuting and staying in hotels. Registration cost is $275 fee for teams and or parents staying overnight in Residence Halls. For more information and registration go to GoMounties.com click on Tournaments and Showcases or call 570-404-2632.
- Premier Soccer Club: The Premier Soccer Club in York has roster openings on its spring U13 girls’ squad. Interested girls must be born after July 31, 2000 to qualify. For more information please contact firstname.lastname@example.org or 880-0511.
- Razorbacks 18U Softball: The Razorbacks 18U club team will be accepting a few players to complete its roster for the upcoming 2014 summer tournament season. Contact Jere Flick at 940-1549 for detailed information or visit www.Razorbacksoftball.com for more information.
- Gettysburg Little League registration: Registration is open for boys and girls age 7-18 as of April 30, 2014 for the 2014 season. The registration fee is $75, and confidential financial assistance is available for fees and/or equipment. Players must bring a copy of birth certificate and proof of residence dated between Feb. 1, 2013 & Feb. 1, 2014. For more information or to register, visit www.gettysburglittleleague.com, email email@example.com or call Lea Haskins at 487-7913.
- Soccer players needed: The Penn Legacy U18 boys’ soccer team is in need of a few field players for the winter/spring seasons. The team is based in Lancaster. If interested or if you have questions, please contact Dave at firstname.lastname@example.org.
- 2014 Mason Dixon Ruffnecks travel baseball: The team is looking for additional players between 8 and 13 years old. Visit www.masondixonruffnecks.com for tryout information.
- Windmill pitching clinic: The fast-pitch clinic will be held Saturdays through Feb. 22 at various times in Westminster, Md., for girls of all ages, with instructions in the art of fast-pitch pitching. Instruction provided is for beginners as well as experienced pitchers. For more information and prices, call 410-374-6614.
- Indoor youth training: The Harrisburg City Islanders are hosting a youth soccer clinic for 6-14 though various groups and programs. The clinics range from 6-8 years old Island Juniors, 9-14 years old Striker vs. Keeper, Developing the Play Maker and an advanced training program. For more information contact Dave Kern, Academy Director at email@example.com.
- NC Fury: An indoor clinic will run January through March for girls who want to play fast-pitch softball on the 16U and 18U tournament level. Registration is free. For more information call 410-374-6614 or e-mail firstname.lastname@example.org.
- Northern York Fastpitch Association: The team is seeking a select few skilled players for its 14U and 12U 2013-2014 travel teams. The team will compete primarily in the USSSA Class C tournaments. For information on the 14U team, contact Craig Shaffer at 578-4410 or email@example.com. For the 12U team, contact Jeff Kessinger at 688-4264 or firstname.lastname@example.org.
- York Youth Soccer League: Registrations are being accepted for the spring season of the recreational soccer program for ages 4-13. Information and registration forms are available at www.yysl.org.
- York Unity girls’ AAU: Online registrations are being accepted for girls in seventh grade who want to play basketball at the national level, as well as girls in 10th through 12th grades who are interested in playing at the college level. Visit www.yorkunitysports.com for details or email Mike Englar at email@example.com.
- Yoga classes: Classes for various levels of experience will be held at the Dover municipal building, 2480 West Canal Road. Beginner classes will be at 5:30 p.m. Tuesdays and Thursdays and 8:30 a.m. Saturdays. Intermediate classes will be 6:45 p.m. Tuesdays and Thursdays. Call instructor Milly Jo Merket at 792-0341 with questions.
- Marauder Masters Swimming: A new USMS swimming program is available for anyone 18 years or older in Millersville. Visit https://sites.google.com/site/maraudermastersswimming for information on practice times and locations, fees, and registration. Contact firstname.lastname@example.org with questions.
- Coors Light White Rose Softball League: Registration packets now available to be picked up at York City Recreation & Parks, the Beer Barn at the Queensgate Shopping Center or online at yorkcity.org on the Recreation and Parks page. For more information call York City Recreation & Parks at 854-1587.
Help wanted: Coaches, referees, officials, volunteers
(Looking for high school coaching openings? Head over to the Varsity Beat!)
- Umpires needed: Umpires are needed for York County youth baseball games beginning in May through June. No certifications are required. Ages 14 and up qualify. Pay ranges from $42-$56 per game. Any interested persons should contact Mike Zelger at 676-9626 or email@example.com