Looking for an excuse to get active? Here’s a listing of local events, recreation leagues, tournaments, camps, clinics, classes and more. Click the links at the top to jump between categories. Have a listing you’d like us to include? Email it to firstname.lastname@example.org.
- Foot Power calendar: Local races for runners, cyclists and more
- Community notes: Classes, clinics and other events
- Program sign-ups: Rec and youth sports leagues and teams
- Summer camps: Search our database of summer camps, from sports camps to arts camps, or submit your event to be included in our collection.
- Help wanted: Coaches, referees, officials, volunteers. (Looking for high school coaching openings? Head over to the Varsity Beat!)
- Upcoming charitable golf events from the Gopher Hole blog
Foot Power calendar: Local races for runners, cyclists and more
- CerebRun Mid-Atlantic Challenge: This unique event is slated for May 10 at Grimmel Farms in Delta. The CerebRun is an event that combines running with other physical challenges. The race is anywhere from 6-8 miles, and it includes 15 obstacles and eight route-altering puzzles designed to challenge all facets of a person’s ability. The answer to each puzzle or problem determines the distance and the difficulty of a CerebRunner’s race.Registration for the event costs $55, and the field is filling up fast. For more details, or to register, visitcerebrun.com. Organizers are offering Foot Power readers a $10 off coupon: Just type in “FootPower2014.”
- Ladies’ Sprint Triathlon: The YWCA is gearing up for the ninth annual running of the Ladies’ Sprint Triathlon on June 29. This year, race director Tara Neff reports there will be even more options for women to enjoy.The main event is the sprint triathlon, which is composed of a 500-yard swim, a 15-mile bike leg and a 5K run. For athletes who want a tougher test, there is the super sprint, which has the same length swim and run, but includes a 24-mile bike loop.
There is also a duathlon option, which sandwiches a pair of 5K runs around a 15-mile bike leg. Finally, for those women who only want to run, there will be a standalone 5K race for the first time.
The YWCA is hosting “Swim Strong” classes on Tuesday evenings for interested triathletes to improve stroke conditioning and efficiency.
Community notes: Classes, clinics and other events
- Fusion FC U12 United Girls Travel Soccer: The Fusion FC U12 United girls’ travel soccer team is looking for experienced players for the fall 2014 and spring 2015 season. The open tryout are scheduled for May 1 from 6-7:30 at the Red Land soccer complex. Visit www.fusionfcpa.org for registartion and information or you can contact Scott Mull at email@example.com.
- Relay for Life: The American Cancer Society is seeking teams for the Relay for Life of Southern York County. An informational meeting will take place at 7 p.m. on April 23 at the Shrewsbury Elementary School Library. Relay For Life is the American Cancer Society’s national signature, overnight fundraising activity. Teams are encouraged to sign up early for the American Cancer Society Relay For Life of Southern York County to take place June 20-21 at Shrewsbury Elementary School. For information or to register a team, contact Richelle Horn at 846-2561 or email firstname.lastname@example.org.
- York Hiking Club: The York Hiking Club will host a short hike April 23 at Lake Redman. Join Lore and Allen Britton on a four-mile hike. There will be some hills, but nothing difficult. Meet at 1:30 p.m. For additional information, contact the Brittons 741-0624 or email@example.com.
- Penn State York Athletes Clay Shoot: Penn State York will hold its sixth annual sporting clays event from noon to 4 p.m. April 24 at Central Penn Sporting Clays (CPSC) in Wellsville, Pa. The event benefits Penn State York’s athletic programs. In addition to a day of shooting clays, participants can tailgate with Michael Guman ’80, former running back with the Los Angeles Rams and the Penn State Nittany Lions. Sponsorships are still available for businesses. For additional information, visit www.yk.psu.edu/clayshoot , call 718-6781, or email firstname.lastname@example.org.
- Hellam Horsehoes: Horseshoe pitchers are needed for the Hellam Horseshoe league. The last day to sign up is April 26 and league play begins April 30. Men and women ages 16 and up qualify. To enroll contact Ray Bendedict 755-1544 or Dave Sipe 246-1955.
- YWCA Hanover Race Against Racism with a Splash of Color: The Hanover YWCA will host a Race Against Racism at 8 a.m. April 26 at Moul Field in Hanover. The event is about three things: unity, fitness and fun. Everyone will cross the finish line covered in bright colors with no one looking the same. For additional information, call 637-2125. To volunteer, contact Pam Ernst, YWCA community service/volunteer coordinator, at 637-2125 or email@example.com.
- Rocket Triathlon: Spring Grove will host its second annual triathlon April 27, sponsored by the Spring Grove Athletic Booster Club. There will be three age groups, and those 14 and older can register as a three-person team. The 9-and-younger age group starts at 1 p.m. and costs $35, 10-13 starts at 2 p.m. and costs $35, and 14-and-older is at 2:30 p.m. and costs $50. Registration for the team relay costs $60. The registration fee includes a T-shirt, water and light refreshments. The triathlon begins at the high school natatorium and ends at Papermakers Stadium. Preregistration is strongly encouraged by April 17. On-site registration will be available for a $10 up-charge. Learn more or print a registration form at sgasd.org.
- York Hiking Club: The York Hiking Club will host a short hike at 9:30 a.m. April 27 on the Memorial Hospital Trail. Meet in the parking lot at the Memorial Hospital property along Loucks Road just west of the Route 30 and Roosevelt Avenue intersection. Hike will be on macadam paths. For additional information, please contact Carol Figdore at 764-5834 or firstname.lastname@example.org.
- Corporate & Community challenge: The Hanover Area Chamber of Commerce will host the Corporate & Community challenge 6:30 a.m.-4 p.m. May 3 at Hanover Area YMCA, 500 N. George St., Hanover. Registration begins at 6:30 a.m. and all proceeds will benefit the Chamber’s workforce development initiatives. Several sporting events are scheduled and Biggest Loser Jay Jacobs will speak during the awards ceremony about finding healthy. For more information, visit http://hanoverchamber.chambermaster.com/Events/details/corporate-community-challenge-643.
- MS food walk: The Multiple Sclerosis Pennsylvania Chapter is holding a 2-4 mile walk in York on May 4. The MS groups acrosse Central Pennsylvania will be uniting various weekends to raise awareness. To register visit walkMSpac.org.
- Future gridiron greats of Lancaster: Vendors are needed in support of the youth football program in Lancaster. Vendor tables promote businesses and spread the word. Potential vendors can email email@example.com.
- Kat’s 5K family run/walk: Kat’s 5K family run/walk presented by Friends of Angels will be held in Strasburg, Pa., at 9 a.m., May 10. It will be a fun-filled morning to raise awareness and funds for Sweet Pea Project, a local nonprofit organization that offers comfort, support and gentle guidance to families who have experienced the death of a baby before, during or after birth. All runners/walkers must fill out a registration form in order to participate in the 5K. Registration forms can be found at www.pretzelcitysports.com/onlineform1.php?id=467. For additional information visit www.friendofangels.org/events.
- Dress for Success 5K Power Walk: Dress for Success will hold their 4th annual “The Power Walk for Dress for Success” a 5K walk with the addition of a 5K run on Saturday, May 10 from 8:30 a.m. to 1 p.m. at Penn State Milton S. Hershey Medical Center in Hershey. For more information and to register visit www.dressforsuccess.org/southcentralpa or call 232-1333.
- Cancer walk: The eighth annual Pink in the Park breast cancer awareness walk will be May 10 at John Rudy County Park. Registration begins at 9:30 a.m.
- Adams County Relay for Life: The event will be held at Oakside Community Park in Biglerville at 4 p.m. May 16-17. There are various ways to get involved, join the Relay for Life Committee, be a day of event volunteer, form a team, become a sponsor and/or join the Survivor’s celebration, which will be held on the May 17 at 10 a.m. For more information or to volunteer, contact Jenna Klunk at firstname.lastname@example.org or at 846-2561.
- Highmark, Walk for a Healthy Community 5K: Vision Resources of Central Pennsylvania will be participating in the Highmark, Walk for a Healthy Community 5k on Saturday, May 17. The event takes place at Harrisburg Area Community College and on site registration begins at 7:45 a.m. The walk begins at 9 a.m. and the One-Mile Fun-Walk is at 9:15 a.m. To register visit www.walkforahealthycommunity.org or call Vision Resources at 238-2531.
- Marauders Football: Coach Breitbach’s Football Academy youth camps will be held 6-8 p.m. on May 20 and June 11 for grades 1-5 and June 10 and June 26 for grades 5-8 at Millersville University’s Biemesderfer Stadium. Registration will begin at 5 p.m. and the cost is $30. The skills camp for grades 9-12 will be held 11:30 a.m. to 5 p.m. May 29, June 3 and July 24. Cost is $50 per athlete. For additional information or to register online, visit www.coachbreitbachfootballcamps.com.
- South Penn Road Runners: The South Penn Road Runners are hosting a kids’ race at 6 p.m. May 21 at the South Western High School track. This race will introduce athletes 14 and younger to athletic competition on the running track. There will be boys’ and girls’ divisions. Special medals to first-, second- and third-place age group runners. All competitors will receive a ribbon. There is no entry fee to compete. For more information visit www.sprrhanover.org.
- 2014 Memorial Weekend Softball Frenzy: Team registrations are currently being accepted for the 2014 Memorial Weekend Softball Frenzy scheduled for the weekend of May 23 through 25 at JayCee Park in Westminster, Md. Tournament will feature fast pitch competition in the B and C levels for the dual age groups of 9/10, 11/12, 13/14, 15/16 and 17/18 with a minimum of three games guaranteed. For additional information and to register, visit www.usamateursports.com/softball/index or email email@example.com.
- Rock-N-Glow: Registration for Rock-N-Glow is now open. The 5K event is scheduled for May 31. Interested participants can download a registration form www.manheimdowntown.org/Rock-N-Glow_5K_Race.php or register online through active.com. Registration costs $15 for those 14 and younger and $25 for those 15 and older, and the fee includes a race shirt.
- John Gastley Scholarship Foundation Dinner Raffle: The dinner raffle will be held at 5:30 p.m. May 31 at SAVES Hall, 5865 Hanover Road, Hanover, PA. (Brushtown). This is a major fundraising event for the Scholarship Foundation that provides one four-year tuition award to Delone Catholic High School each year. Coach Jack Connor is the honored guest speaker. One $100 ticket admits two for dinner and drinks and one entry into the $5,000 raffle. For additional information, contact Randy Gastley at 451-9820, email firstname.lastname@example.org or visit www.gastleyfoundation.com.
- York County Oldtimers Baseball League Scholarship: Applications are being accepted through May 31 for the York County Oldtimers Baseball League scholarships. Four $500 scholarships will be awarded. Applicants must be the child or grandchild of a current or former participant of the York County Oldtimers Baseball League. For additional information or to obtain an application, contact Steve Schedin at 792-2709 or email@example.com.
- Bob Bard 5K: The Bob Bard 5K run to benefit the national Brain Tumor Society will be June 14 at Memorial Park, Quarryville. Registration will take place 7 to 8 a.m. with races starting at 8:30 a.m.. Cost is $10 for kids and $25 for adults before May 26th, $15 and $30 after May 26. For additional information and to register visit www.braintumorcommunity.org/site/TR?fr_id=2300&pg=entry
- Lax Max youth lacrosse tournament: Team registrations are being accepted for the 20th annual Lax Max youth lacrosse tournament June 6-8 in Westminster, Md. The event is open to all school, recreation, travel and club teams throughout the mid-Atlantic region with a guarantee of at least three games. For additional information regarding rules, registration and lodging, visit laxmax.com or email Skip at firstname.lastname@example.org or Mike at email@example.com.
- Youth baseball: The Erie Sports Commission and Game Day USA are hosting an Erie Super Regional baseball tournament June 13-15 at David G. Long Baseball Complex. Approximately 60 teams from Pennsylvania, Ohio, New York and Canada will be participating, and the event includes all age divisions. For more information on Game Day USA visit www.gamedayusa.com.
- CMSA Bay State Soccer Cup: Team registrations are being accepted for the 2014 Bay State Soccer Cup sponsored by the Central Maryland Soccer Association on June 21 and 22 in Westminster, Md. Competition is open to all USSF affiliated organizations and features boys and girls travel and club competition in the single age groups of U8 through U14 and the dual age groupings of U17 and U19. Applications and additional information is available at cmsasoccer.com under the CMSA Bay State Cup heading or contact the Cup Director at firstname.lastname@example.org or call the league office at 410-686-2212.
- Powerlifting championships: The 2014 International Powerlifiting Association Strength Spectacular Powerlifting and Bench Press Championships will be June 21 and 22 at York Barbell. For details, contact Ellen Chaillet, 540-760-2327, email@example.com or visit www.ipapower.com.
- First Capital Lacrosse Tournament: The third annual First Capital Lacrosse tournament will be July 5 and 6 at Springettsbury Park. Team registration is $850. There will be age divisions for U9, U11, U13 and U15 with A and B divisions. For more information, visit www.leaguelineup.com/firstcapitallacrosse or call Julie at 676-6629 or firstname.lastname@example.org
- Lititz summer showcase soccer tournament: The ninth annual Lititz summer showcase soccer tournament will be July 26 and 27 in Lititz. Boys and girls from U10 through U19 teams are welcome to apply and are guaranteed a three-game minimum. Visit lititzsummershowcase.org or contact Mike Logan at email@example.com for more information.
- Summer destination race: The York Road Runners are offering a bus trip to Dewey Beach, Del., to participate in the Highway One Group 10K or 5K Race on Aug. 3 at 8 a.m. Trip include bus transportation (departure from York Aug. 1 at 1 p.m. and departure from Dewey Beach, Aug. 3, noon), 2 nights at the new Hyatt Place Dewey Beach, full day of free time Saturday and race entry in either 10K or 5K race. Cost is $250 for YRRC members and $290 for non YRRC members. Deposit is required by April 25 and balance due July 5. For additional information or to reserve a spot, contact Hal Darr at firstname.lastname@example.org.
- Trail walk: The Strawberry Hill Nature Preserve is holding a trail walk/run 8 a.m. to 1 p.m. Nov. 15 at Michaux State Forest. Race is limited to 250 runners. For more information contact 642-5840 or email@example.com, www.StrawberryHill.org.
Program signups: Rec sports leagues and teams for kids and adults
- 7V7 Summer game series: City Islanders Academy will host 7V7 summer game series beginning June 15. Girls games on Tuesdays and boys on Wednesdays. Cost per team is $450. For additional information, contact Dave Kern at firstname.lastname@example.org, Kim St.Clair at email@example.com or Garret Pettis at firstname.lastname@example.org. Registration due by April 25.
- Little Eagles Football Camp: The 2014 Little Eagles football camp will be held 7:30-11:30 a.m. June 16-18. The camp will be open to current first through eighth graders in the Dover Area School District. The cost of this camp will be $50 before June 1 and $55 after June 1. Camp brochures can be printed from the district’s web page or obtained from the front office of each Dover Area School District building. For additional information contact Eric Lam at 292-3671 ext. 15292 or email@example.com.
- York Volleyball Camp: The York Volleyball Camp, run by Bruce and Barb Koller, will hold sessions at the Dallastown High School and Middle School campus during the following times and dates: Day camps run the week of July 28 or Aug. 4 and are for grades 8-12, youth camps are the same weeks running 6-9 p.m., Monday to Thursday for grades 4-9, girls’ hitter/setter sessions start July 28 for grades 10-12 and the boys’ sessions start Aug. 4. Day camps include lunch and free T-shirt. The evening sessions include a snack and free T-shirt. Visit www.yorkvolleyballcamp.com for more information or email firstname.lastname@example.org or call 757-2547.
- Gridiron Alumni Football: Gridiron Alumni Football is coming to York County and is planning several full-contact alumni football games. Players are needed to sign up for their alma mater, and the first 40 players on each team get to play. The team that gets 30 people registered first is awarded home-field advantage. If you or someone you know is interested in putting on the pads one more time, visit www.gridironalumni.com to register or call Chris at 530-410-6396. Proceeds from the event will directly affect local schools and charities.
- Richardson Hoops: Richardson Hoops is now accepting early team registration for its indoor summer basketball leagues: college/adult division and high school girls division. For more information visit www.richardsonhoops.com or contact Shaun Richardson at 484-663-3750.
- Summer baseball camp: The YMCA of York and York County and the York Revolution are once again offering six weeks of summer baseball camps for youth and teens ages 8 to 15. For more information, contact Doug Markel at email@example.com or 843-7884 ext. 263 for details.
- Wildlife Leadership Academy: The Wildlife Leadership Academy is now accepting applications for their 2014 summer field schools from youth ages 14-17 and adults. Three field schools are available for youth and adults to apply to: Pennsylvania Bucktails, white-tailed deer focus held June 17-21 at Stone Valley Recreation Area in Huntingdon County. Pennsylvania Brookies, brook trout and coldwater conservation focus held July 8-12 at Sieg Conference Center in Clinton County, and Ruffed Grouse focus held July 22-26 at Powdermill Nature Reserver in Westmoreland County. For additional information, contact Institute Director, Michele Kittel at firstname.lastname@example.org or 570-245-8518 or you can connect with the Academy on Facebook at www.facebook.com/wildelifeleadershipacademy.
- York YMCA Sports programs: The York YMCA is now accepting registrations for an introductory girls intramural volleyball program for girls ages 9 and 10. The program is held Monday evenings. The YMCA also is offering pickleball for adults at 11:30 a.m. Mondays and Wednesdays as well as 7 p.m. Tuesdays and 2:15 p.m. Sundays. For more information, contact Doug Markel at email@example.com or 843-7884, ext. 263, for details.
- AAU signups: Registration for the York Unity AAU team is now open for girls in seventh and eighth grades. For details, visit www.yorkunitysports.com or contact Mike at firstname.lastname@example.org.
- Girls Basketball Association: The Girls Basketball Association is hosting tournaments throughout the spring and summer seasons. The tournament are held in Ohio, West Virginia, Pennsylvania and Kentucky. All tournaments are open for girls’ in grades 3 through 11. For a listing of the tournaments visit www.gbabasketball.com or call 740-685-2468.
- Mid State Maverick Travel Baseball: The Mid State Maverick travel baseball organization is looking for the following players: a 10U player, an 11U player, a 12-year-old catcher, two 14U players who can also pitch and an 18U showcase pitcher. To schedule an individual tryout, contact owner Gavin Osteen at 507-6810.
- PIAA basketball referee training: The YAIAA chapter of PIAA basketball officials will be holding sessions to prepare you to take the PIAA basketball exam on April 22, April 29, May 6 and May 13 from 7 to 8:30 p.m. at St. Joseph-York Church, 2935 Kingston Road. The exam will be given on May 20. Classroom instruction is free. For additional information, contact David Dill at 887-4961 or Wayne Wood at 623-1404.
- Hershey Jr. Bears Girls Ice Hockey: The Hershey Jr. Bears girls’ ice hockey program in Hershey invites all interested girls to try ice hockey for free. The Jr. Bears girls meet twice a month on Sunday evenings at Twin Ponds East in Harrisburg. All girls ages 5-14 are welcome to try ice hockey. Contact Mark Seymour at email@example.com or 533-2445.
- Lady Spartan Basketball Camp: York College will be offering a basketball camp for girls in grades 3 through 8. Camp will run from June 16-19 from 9 a.m. to 3 p.m. and is directed by Coach Betsy Witman. For additional information contact Coach Witman at firstname.lastname@example.org or 815-1537.
- Irish Basketball Camp: York Catholic will be offering basketball camps for boys and girls in grades 1 through 6. Three camps are available: June 16 to 20 or June 23-27 for boys and July-11 for girls. Cost is $150 with a $25 discount if you register before May 1. For details, call Mike Keesey at 843-7531.
- Harrisburg City Islanders soccer summer camps: The Harrisburg City Islanders will be hosting the following camps for boys and girls between the ages of 5 and 14: 1. Lower Dauphin Middle School from 9 a.m.-noon June 23-27. Cost is $120. 2. Veterans Park, Harrisburg, from 6-8:30 p.m. July 14-17. Cost is $85. 3. Harrisburg City Camp-Skyline Sports from 6-8 p.m.. Cost is $10 for city residents and $70 for non city residents. 4. Hagy Part, Dauphin, PA, from 6-8 p.m. Aug. 4, 5, 7 and 8. Cost is $70 for DMPSA players. Outside players can register through Islanders. 5. CPYSL Partner Camp from 6-8:30 p.m. July 14-17 at CD East HS. 6. Adam Ricci Park from 6-8:30 p.m. July 28, 29, 31 and Aug 1. Cost is $85. To register or for additional information, visit www.cityislanders/campclinics/summer-camps.
- Mansfield baseball classic: Mansfield University baseball team is holding several tournaments June 6 through Aug. 29 for teams of teens 13 to 19 years old at its campus in northcentral Pennsylvania. Registration cost is $425 for teams commuting and staying in hotels. Registration cost is $275 for teams and or parents staying overnight in residence halls. The residence hall rate is $28 per person per night. For more information and registration, go to GoMounties.com and click on “Camps, Clinics and Tournaments” or call 570-404-2632.
- Premier Soccer Club: The Premier Soccer Club in York has roster openings on its spring U13 girls’ squad. Interested girls must be born after July 31, 2000 to qualify. For more information, contact email@example.com or 880-0511.
- Gettysburg Little League registration: Registration is open for boys and girls between 7 and 18 years old. The registration fee is $75, and confidential financial assistance is available to cover fees and/or equipment. Players must bring a copy of their birth certificate and proof of residence, which must be dated between Feb. 1, 2013 and Feb. 1, 2014. For more information or to register, visit www.gettysburglittleleague.com, email firstname.lastname@example.org or call Lea Haskins at 487-7913.
- York Youth Soccer League: Registrations are being accepted for the spring season of the recreational soccer program for players between the ages of 4 and 13. Information and registration forms are available at www.yysl.org.
- York Unity girls’ AAU: Online registrations are being accepted for girls in seventh grade who want to play basketball at the national level, as well as girls in 10th through 12th grades who are interested in playing at the college level. Visit www.yorkunitysports.com for details or email Mike Englar at email@example.com.
- Bearcat Basketball Camp: The camp will be held for boys currently in grades second through seventh. It will be held from June 18-20 at William Penn High School. The camp costs $40. Registration forms can be found at York City Schools or by emailing Coach Troy Sowers at firstname.lastname@example.org.
- Backyard University Lady Gamers: The Backyard University Lady Gamers travel softball team is looking for additional players to round out U16 roster for Spring/Summer. If interested, contact James at 443-309-8535.
- Millersville girls basketball camps: Millersville head coach Mary Fleig will be hosting seven camps during the months of June and July and the deadline to register is May 15. For additional information on camp offerings and any questions, please contact Fleig at 872-3706 or email@example.com.
Help wanted: Coaches, referees, officials, volunteers
(Looking for high school coaching openings? Head over to the Varsity Beat!)
- Umpires needed: Umpires are needed for York County youth baseball games beginning in May through June. No certifications are required. Ages 14 and up qualify. Pay ranges from $42-$56 per game. Any interested persons should contact Mike Zelger at 676-9626 or firstname.lastname@example.org
- Track and field officials needed: The White Rose chapter of track and field officials are looking to add to their membership. Officials are paid for their work in the range of $65-$150 per meet, depending upon the job and meet. Interested persons should visit www.piaa.org/officials/become/default.aspx or contact Ron Shiding at 764-3671 or email@example.com or Lynn VanHouwe at 852-9269 or firstname.lastname@example.org. You must be available at 3:30 weekdays to work meets.