Last weekend, I celebrated my 32nd birthday. In our family, we have a tradition: I don’t like cake, but I love pie crust.
So my mom makes me a birthday pie crust; we put a candle in it; and I eat the whole thing. I love my mom. And her pie crust. And now it’s all gone.
1. Recipe from a 1966 cookbook
2. History of City View Lofts
3. Remembering Pudd’s saltine crab cakes
Continue reading “Ask Joan: Belated birthday edition” »
Happy Thanksgiving, everyone! I am grateful to be able to share memories of York with you.
1. A brief Gitt family update
2. Memories of Sears, shopping center
Continue reading “Ask Joan: Memories of Sears, and a Gitt family update” »
In today’s Ask Joan, I want to share some notes mailed to me over the past many months. In addition to some follow-ups on previous questions, I have some photos I’m particularly excited to share.
1. Remembering Washington House oyster pie
2. Who is woman in picture?
3. Another lemon sponge pie recipe
4. Photos from the Poist Studio
5. Another note about Peace Child
Continue reading “Ask Joan: Mailed notes and photos edition” »
Not a fan of snow. Nope nope nope nope nope nope nope.
But that’s what it’s doing right now in West Manchester Township, so I’m a little grouchy.
1. Where to find older pictures
2. St. Francis Academy in Spring Grove
3. Seeking former YESCO building’s history
Continue reading “Ask Joan: It’s snowing? edition” »
I’m sad to say that this week marks the last one for my (until now) boss, April Trotter, at the York Daily Record. April has been amazing to work with, and I’m excited to step into her shoes as the editor in charge of community news here at the YDR!
April is moving to Virginia, and she is excited because her new apartment permits her to have a cat. She’s eyeing up fat orange cats. So in her honor, today, please accept this gratuitous fat orange cat image. I’m told he looks somewhat like a loaf of bread, which isn’t entirely wrong.
1. Memories of 1500 Club sought
2. Seeking Dillsburg-area school information
3. Two follow-ups on past questions
Continue reading “Ask Joan: Orange cats edition” »
Today I’m playing catch-up with some mail I’ve received about past questions; I hope you enjoy today’s fun follow-ups in reverse chronological order.
1. 5&10 in downtown York
2. Remembering Stillman’s Store in York
3. A note on Himmelright’s Grove
Continue reading “Ask Joan: Following up on stores and more” »
I keep thinking that maybe, sometime, I’ll get closer to “caught up” on Ask Joan questions and memories. But the more questions I put out there, the more answers I receive, and thus the more mail piles up. I’m trying! In that spirit, today I have a quick follow-up and five new questions to share.
1. Following up on weathering steel
2. Memories of Fisher’s restaurant oysters
3. Name of Brodbecks one-room school
4. History of Lockport on river
5. Seeking Mount Rose Elementary photo
6. Connecting with local Slovenians
Continue reading “Ask Joan: A half-dozen questions edition” »
All three Ask Joan questions today are from York Township. I don’t normally get that many geographically specific questions, so that was neat!
1. Following up on Innersville/Spry
2. Why is road School Street?
3. Steel beams unpainted – how come?
Continue reading “Ask Joan: York Township questions edition” »
Like my new Q-and-A image? My friend Dan made that for me, as the old one was kind of getting tired-looking. I mean, hey, you can only hold up fake letters for so long before your arms give out, right?
1. Seeking name of 5 & 10 store
2. and 3. Using the Polk city directories
4. Swimming spot in Pigeon Hills
5. More thoughts on Boeckel’s Landing
Continue reading “Ask Joan: New questions, new logo edition” »
By the time I write Ask Joan again, it will be October. I’m not sure how I feel about that.
1. Another Knaub’s bakery recipe sought
2. Where to place tribute notices
3. Hellam Township’s beautiful sunflower field
Continue reading “Ask Joan: Welcome to fall edition” »