Over the Hills to Pathmark

Workers in 2005 tear off the roof of what used to be the Hills Department Store at the former Delco Centre at routes 30 and 74 in West Manchester Township.

More on “What it used to be” in York County…

Before the new Delco Marketplace along Route 74 in West Manchester Township, it was the “Delco Centre,” and before that, just plain “Delco Plaza.”

I love the new Lowe’s and especially the Chili’s and Grand Buffet in the newest incarnation, but I miss some of the old favorites from the original shops as well – most notably, Hills and Pathmark.

Hills was great for two reasons – first, I’m a huge hot dog fan, and their little hot dog shop in the front made some of the best dogs around. I was thrilled when the West Manchester Target began offering hot dogs, but they’re not quite the same. Also, my favorite teddy bear was one of Hlils’ Christmas specials. I still have him! (No photos, sorry. I’m not that into embarassing myself online.)

Sadly, Hills is no longer in business; it merged with Ames in 1999. There was an Ames in that same location, but that chain went bankrupt in 2002; the store closed; and it sat empty until the new construction began at Delco.

Meanwhile, Pathmark is still in existence, but you’d need to head out close to Philadelphia to find one. And soon (like within the next couple of months), it looks like they’ll be merging with A&P.

What I loved most about Pathmark was its “No Frills” generic-brand stuff. Our house had tons of those black-and-white-label boxes, cans and bags.

Anyone else miss those old favorites, or have any other “used to be” places you’d like to know about? Leave me a comment!

This entry was posted in Dover/West York, It used to be.... Bookmark the permalink.

8 Responses to Over the Hills to Pathmark

1. Randi says:

You keep talking about hot dogs, what about the ones from the old Sears at the York County Shopping Center? They are the first I can remember of the dogs made on the rollers. That was the only reason I liked to go to Sears.

2. John Loeper says:

Anyone remember “Joe the Motorist Friend”? I used to work there. first at the York County shopping center, and then at the Northgate shopping center. they sold a lot of different stuff from motor oil to TV sets to toys and guns and ammo. it was kind of strange but I worked there for about three years after high school.

3. Marianne says:

Cananyone remeber the pizza place in Delco Plaza where you could get birch beer?

4. Tracey says:

Hills and K-Mart as bookends for the wonderful little ‘underground’ feeling of the mini mall sandwiched between them with West York’s only movie theater at the time, the dollar store, post office, DMV photo center, and who can remember what else (besides the pizza place). I remember everyone saying that they’d never build anything there again when they tore the old stores down.

5. joe says:

International Pizza.

6. Ray says:

Yeah I remember the good times with Pathmark. We too had The Pathmark and No Frills brands all over our house. I still have many Pathmark Brands still around. But as time goes on they get less and less. Yes Pathmark is still around. But is it really Pathmark anymore? Or is it A&P with a Pathmark sign on it? They killed off the famous Pathmark Brand. That is very very sad. And I do indeed miss it and always will.

7. arthur says:

What i liked about Pathmark was that i was able to buy cow’s tongue. You might be able to get pickled tongue at market, but cow’s tongue you could buy in the deli department. You would buy that the same way you would buy a pound of roast beef or turkey breast. I don’t believe there are any places here in York that you can now buy that. Use to love having that when i lived in New York.