A Yorkism that’s a real cut-up

Sorry, the post title is a bad pun courtesy of my husband, who makes bad puns out of anything.

No, today’s Yorkism is about these things:

scissors.jpg

You know, you cut with them, right? But say one of that item was sitting on your counter. What would you call it?

Scissors?

The scissors?

A pair of scissors?

A scissors?

I am open to argument here. I say “a pair of scissors,” which is just as silly as “a pair of jeans.” You can’t have just one blade of the cutting device; you can’t have just one leg worth of denim. So it seems awful dumb to call them “a pair.” I mean, you need the whole thing, right?

But I was reading a story written for the Weekly Record the other day, about taffy, and the writer said to cut it with “a scissors.”

I’ve heard that a lot, but I don’t know if I could justify it grammatically.

Any thoughts??

This entry was posted in Things we say. Bookmark the permalink.

7 Responses to A Yorkism that’s a real cut-up

1. Tracey says:

‘Has anyone seen the scissors?’

2. Louise says:

Boy, Joan, this is starting to give me a headache just thinking about it. I refer to scissors as both singular and plural. It depends on the context. Hmmm….
    Love, Weez

3. Jo says:

Agree. I say any of the above, depending, although I don’t use “a pair of scissors” hardly at all any more. Does this read like I’m from Pennsylvania?

4. Melanie says:

Long time lurker here. I’m actually reading you from Virginia, but my mom’s family’s been in York County since before York was the capital of the United States. I know I’ve heard my grandmother use ‘a scissors’ or ‘the scissors,’ depending on the situation.
    How about ‘Would you get me the scissors awhile?” ;)

5. Louise says:

As a retired English teacher, the problem with the expression lies with the article “a.” Since “scissors” is always a plural noun and “a” is used with the singular form, the two should not be used together. There is nothing incorrect, however, with using the expression ” a pair of scissors.”

6. Bruce Smith says:

Apparently your husband is not native of York County, but I found this on Wikipedia and it makes sense to me.
    “The noun “scissors” is treated as a plural noun, and therefore takes a plural verb (“these scissors are”). Alternatively, this tool is also referred to as “a pair of scissors”, in which case it (a pair) is singular and therefore takes a singular verb (“this pair of scissors is”). (In theory each of the two blades of the tool is a “scissor” in its own right, although in practice such usage is seldom heard.”

7. Bruce Smith says: