Poll: Know your egg treats

So after making you think so much in yesterday’s post, here’s a fun and easy one that I thought I should get to before summer picnic season winds down… what do you call these eggs?

redbeetorpickled.jpg

(Image from RecipeZaar)

Are they red-beet eggs or pickled eggs??

This entry was posted in Things we eat. Bookmark the permalink.

8 Responses to Poll: Know your egg treats

1. Melanie says:

This is bizarre…I was just thinking about this particular York County specialty this morning!

2. Jo says:

Pickled eggs, definitely. However, the eggs in that photo are not fully cooked and I wouldn’t be eating any of them.

3. Mike says:

I grew up calling them red-beet eggs. I don’t know why they would be called pickled eggs. They are made with red beets or red beet juice not pickles.

4. Mike says:

I grew up calling them red-beet eggs. I don’t know why they would be called pickled eggs, they are made with red beets or red beet juice not pickles. I agree that the eggs in the photo look like they are not completely cooked. “salmonella”

5. Melanie says:

I asked my York County-native mom about this, (after I voted for the red beet egg option, of course! LOL) and she says she’s never heard them called pickled eggs, either, Mike. It’s always been red beet eggs as far as she’s ever heard.
    And yes, those eggs should be cooked just a little longer. The yolks need to be almost powdery dry and very light yellow.
    Now I’m hungry for red beet eggs.

6. John "Pappy" Otto says:

“Deviled eggs” !

7. Mark Grubic says:

Deviled eggs to me were hardboiled eggs (or red-beet eggs – there’s my vote) with the yolks removed and then the yolks were mashed up with mayo, diced onions and paprika and ‘refilled’ into the egg white with an icing bag…Does anyone else know of this?
    Maybe this is another take on the Yorkism of eggs?
    Greetings from Austria!!!
    Mark

8. Laura says:

Definitely red-beet eggs, but I prefer deviled eggs, too!