Poll: Stuffing vs. filling

stuffing.jpg

The image above is from the nice folks at McCormick, who share a recipe for what they call Classic Herb Stuffing.

But this is York County. Do we trust what the people at the spice company call something? Heck, no! Some of us have another name for this bread-based goodie. So what do you think?

This entry was posted in Things we eat, Things we say. Bookmark the permalink.

7 Responses to Poll: Stuffing vs. filling

1. Jo says:

This is an easy one. I use them both equally.

2. Angie Mason says:

None of the above. My grandma called this dressing. I hadn’t heard “filling” until I moved here.

3. Megan says:

I’m with Angie on this one. Since I’m from Alabama, I call it dressing.

4. Melanie says:

I’ve always called it stuffing if it’s cooked inside the bird, and dressing if it’s cooked outside. I haven’t heard the term ‘filling’ used much.

5. Mike says:

I grew up with my family always calling it “filling”. It doesn’t matter if it is in the bird, in the saucepan, or in the casserole dish, we call it “filling”.

6. Jo says:

For Angie & Megan–I was reading thru a wartime (WWII)cookbook and it’s always referred to as “dressing.” I had forgotten about that one.

7. Tracey says:

I actually couldn’t vote on this one. My Mom’s side of the family is hardcore PA Dutch. My Gram’s famous recipe which takes a full day to make is filling. It’s a meal in itself. All of the other stuff, aka stovetop and precut bread pieces is stuffing. It’s good, but it’s just not the same. Joan, I’ll swing by shortly after Christmas day and bring you a sample of the ‘real’ stuff