Without further ado, the start of the ABCs of York County

I missed you all! Thanks to those who e-mailed or commented and wanted to know where I’ve been. We’re a little short-handed in our department, so I’ve been busy putting out papers, but I’m back to regular posting starting today.

blogabcs.jpgToday kicks off a new series on Only in York County – the ABCs of York County. This is a series that needs YOU in order to be successful!

Each Monday, I’ll take suggestions on words or phrases that are special to York County and that start with a particular letter. Being the organized type, I’ll go A to Z. No jumping around!
I’ll take your suggestions for an entire week, then the next Monday, I’ll create a poll of the top five and let you vote. (We’ll also kick off the suggestion pool for the next letter at that time.)

And the following week, I’ll announce the winner!

So this week, we’re taking suggestions for A words and phrases that describe York County. Apple butter? Accomac? What else?

Next week, we’ll take B suggestions and post the poll of the top five A words.

And the following week, I’ll take C suggestions, post the poll of the top five B words and announce the A winner!

Sound like fun? I’d really love to get all sorts of suggestions. Even if you’re not from York, chime in – I’d like to see what others think about our area, too!

So… A, anyone?

This entry was posted in ABCs of York County. Bookmark the permalink.

12 Responses to Without further ado, the start of the ABCs of York County

1. Mike says:

My suggestion for the letter “A” is Agricultural Fair. The York Agricultural Fair has been at its current location since 1888. However, the origins of the York Fair date back to 1765 according to the York Fair website (yorkfair.org).

2. deena says:

Awhile. As in, “would you like some hog maw awhile?”

3. Jo says:

Ain’t not. Actually, I haven’t heard this one in the nine years I’ve been back in the county, but remember it well when living in Shiloh years ago. Not to reflect on Shiloh, mind you, but maybe I’m hangin’ around with a better class of people these days.

4. Mark Grubic says:

A is for Accomac Inn…This is what first came to mind after Agricultural Fair…since that was taken…I’ll stick with mine…A is also for Austria…where I am sending greetings from!
    Looking forward to B and the rest of the Alphabet of York!!!
    Hope all is well with you and yours Joan!!
    Bis Später,
    Von Österreich!
    Mark

5. Tracey says:

I agree with Mike & Mark. I was going to say apples, but I’ll save that for O for Orchards.

6. jb says:

Gotta go with “Awhile” then we can get all ret up too!

7. Mark Grubic says:

Now onto B!!! For me B has to be the Brogue. enough said….contemplating C….
    Bis Später,
    Von Österreich!
    Mark

8. Mark Grubic says:

C is for CENTRAL YORK SENIOR HIGH SCHOOL!!!! Class of ’88 !!! GO PANTHERS!!!!
    Also for Central Market…hehe
    Bis Später,
    Von Österreich!
    Mark

9. Mark Grubic says:

Ooops, I just noticed I got a few weeks ahead…Joan feel free to add my B and C to the next few weeks posts…Sorry, my homesickness took over and I got a bit excited. I’ll refrain from jumping ahead…lol
    Bis Später,
    Von Österreich!
    Mark

10. DianneB says:

Am I too late, or too early?
    A- Accomac, Architectural Warehouse, Agricultural & Industrial Museum, Apollo Co. Park
    B- Barnett Bobb log house, Billmeyer House, Bradley Academy, Brownstone Building,
    Bon-ton building, Beth Israel Synagogue, Brown’s Orchard/Market, Box Hill Mansion
    C- Codorus Furnace, Central Market, Cookes House, Colonial Courthouse, Christ Lutheran Church, Continental Square

11. Mike says:

Although Mark and Diane have some great suggetions I find myself thinking of great food for this particular letter of the alphabet. So without further contemplation, I suggest Bury burgers and of course the York County favorite Bricker’s fries. I just made myself hungry for a snack.

12. Dianne says:

Hmmm….food, you say.
    A- Apples, York Imperial apples of course
    B- bologna, bread (Pennsylvania Dutch style from an outside oven)
    C- chow chow, chicken corn soup, cider
    D- dippy eggs, doughnuts (Fashnachts)