Did we have a Woolworth’s in York County?

One of my friends sent me a photo of an old Woolworth’s menu. I thought it was really neat – look at the prices!
woolworth.jpg
So, of course, you know my next question: Did we have Woolworth’s locations in York County, and if so, where? I know we had all sorts of five-and-dime-type stores, but I wasn’t sure about this in particular.
(Also, did you know that Woolworth’s was the predecessor of Foot Locker? Who knew!)

This entry was posted in Local memories. Bookmark the permalink.

6 Responses to Did we have a Woolworth’s in York County?

1. Bob says:

Woolworths was right downtown on the first block if West Market Street. The windows are now covered with art. The building has long been vacated and has fallen into significant disrepair. The old lunch counter is still inside harkening back to an age long past.

2. John Loeper says:

there was also a McCrorys store in the same block of west market with a lunch counter. I also think there was a Woolworths with a lunch counter in the original York Mall. many people who worked in downtown york got lunch at either stores lunch counters quite often . Breakfast from People Drug on the square as well.

3. Jo says:

Remember them all & those prices

4. RAYMOND H. BANKERT says:

THERE WAS A WOOLWORTHS STORE IN HANOVER IN THE CLEARVIEW SHOPPING CENTER UNTIL ABOUT 20 YEARS AGO. IT HAD A BASEMENT LEVEL AS WELL AS A PRETTY SPACIOUS MAIN LEVEL………..

5. Mike says:

The Woolworths downtown had a break a balloon deal in the sixties where you paid whatever price tag was inside the balloon for a banana split. It was free or up to 39 cents. Anybody else remember this?

6. LINDA M. SMITH says:

6zay9y I remember Woolworth’s very well. My mother was fountain
    manager from the l950′s thru 1968. I worked there while in high school
    and typed the menu every day. There was a big kitchen in the basement
    where all the cakes, doughnuts, pies, sweet buns and food were made.
    I know all about it. E-mail me if you want to know more. Please do.