More memories of steakhouses

Not that long ago, we were talking about steakhouses, specifically the ones in the Memory Lane area, and we got to talking about OK Corral, Ponderosa and Bonanza.

About the OK Corral, Ben says, “I don’t think it was on Memory Lane, but it was on the corner of Memory Lane and Industrial Highway.” Then he mentions another oldie-but-goodie: “Roy Rogers. They had the best bacon cheeseburgers!”

steakhouselogo.jpgBeth remembers another steakhouse in the area. “Ponderosa on South Queen Street and along Route 30. Wonderful salad bar. Yum!”

(Side note: Bonanza and Ponderosa were apparently part of the same company. Who knew?)

Rich brings up yet another former eatery: “Before the OK Corral was on Memory Lane it was between Dairy Queen and the gas station that is now Rita’s and Papa Johns on E. Market. How about Burger Chef? It sat where NeFra in now across from Unique Physique (formerly Kiddietown Toys). There was also a Burger Chef in Columbia.”

Burger Chef? That’s one I’d never even heard of! Was it locally owned? Any details would be greatly appreciated!

This entry was posted in It used to be..., Things we eat. Bookmark the permalink.

6 Responses to More memories of steakhouses

1. Ben Lightner says:

Speaking of steakhouses, when I was a little boy we went to Western Sizzlin (where Ruby Tuesdays is on RT30 caddy corner of Olive Garden). I blew a straw wrapper off of my straw and it landed in some ladies hair sitting 3 tables away. I went through my whole meal wondering if I she would find it and I would get in trouble. It was so funny when she walked out and through the parking lot and got in here car with a straw wrapper in her hair. I just thought I would share that.

2. John Loeper says:

yes I do remember Burger Chef being around but do not remember ever eating there. on another subject…I saw on another blog that the old building on N George street that used to house Gregorys mens store has been turned into luxury apartments. that’s fantastic for downtown York. It also triggered memorys of my mother buying clothing for me at Gregorys for years until I was about a Sr. in high school. the semi annual Gregorys sale was a big deal for her. she would get there before the store opened to get the best bargans for me and my father.The store would always be packed with shoppers. I also had the privlige of douing a radio show in 1968 and 69 on WORK that was sponsored by Gregorys (“The Gregory Gift Program”) . It was corny but people seemed to like it. I wonder if any body else remembers those Gregorys Semi Annual sales?

3. Scott Mingus says:

Burger Chef was a national hamburger chain, at one time second only to McDonalds in size. We had one in my hometown of Zanesville, Ohio, and it’s where I asked my high school sweetheart to go steady (we have been married for 34 years!).
    The chain’s name and trademark food products (Big Chef, Super Chef, etc) are property of Hardee’s, which still uses the Burger Chef name in a couple of locations IIRC.

4. Tom says:

Burger Chef was located on East Market St. close to where Maple Donuuts is located now. Bonanza was on Memory Lane where the Embers is now .I was the day cook there from “71-73?” when The OK corral baught it out. Ohj what Memorys !

5. Tom says:

6. Tom says:

Burger Chef was on East Market St. Out where Maple Donuts is located now. As for Bonanza, it was on Memory Lane where the Embers is now, I was the Daytime cook there from “71-73″ ,until it was taken over by the OK Corral. Oh what memories!