Do you remember D.E. Jones?

One great thing about having other lifelong Yorkers in our family is the great dinner conversation it provides.

For instance, on Thanksgiving, my brother-in-law Mike and I were talking about the 5-and-10-type store that used to be in Delco Plaza, on your left as you came down the steps from Kmart into the mall.

My mom and I had been talking about that and could not, for the life of us, remember the name of it. She thought it might have been either a McCrory’s or a dollar store, but I was adamant that, no, it had another name.

Well, Mike came up with it. After a couple of false starts – like calling it David Jones – we recalled that it was D.E. Jones.

As near as I can tell through some quick Internet research, if a company by that name is even still in existence, it’s only in a few locations in New Jersey, and even that is suspect. When Wikipedia doesn’t even have a reference to something, you know it’s bad!

So, I’m turning to you, loyal readers. Do you remember D.E. Jones? Was it a chain? Were there others in York besides the one in Delco Plaza? I’d love to know!

This entry was posted in It used to be..., Local memories. Bookmark the permalink.

14 Responses to Do you remember D.E. Jones?

1. Ben Lightner says:

There was a D.E. Jones at the Wes Manchester mall. I believe it was next to DEB. I also remeber McCroy’s at both West Manchester and York mall. They gad the best hot dogs!!!!!

2. Cathy says:

there was a D E jONES in Shrewsbury about 5-7 years ago at the Market Square shopping center in Shrewsbury.

3. Leigh Ann says:

I remember D.E. Jones stores, they were the best. i just loved them and really miss them. i used to go to the one in Shrewsbury & @ Delco.

4. Angela Place says:

I believe there was one in Carlisle as well, either at the MJ Carlisle Mall or the Carlisle Plaza, I forget which. My biggest memory of DE Jones was the smell; they all smelled the same and it was a odd sort of plastic/rubber smell. Not at all pleasing.

5. Chris says:

There was one in Hanover too…

6. CAROL says:

THERE WAS ONLY ONE D.E.JONES IN YORK. AT DELCO PLAZA. I WISH THEY NEVER CLOSED. WE GOT ALOT OF HOUSE HOLD ITEMS THERE. MY FAMILY MISSES THAT STORE

7. S. Johnson says:

I remember D.E. Jones at Delco, i went there every now and then. I really miss the old Delco Plaza. ive been looking around for someone who has pictures of Delco before it was demolished or just any pics of it plain flat out. If you do, send them in an email to me thirdstarhorizon@aol.com thanx.

8. J. Whitmore says:

I wish they still had the one in Hanover. The bath towels lasted forever!

9. Brett says:

D.E. Jones was originally at the West Manchester Mall, I believe next to the Orioles Store i believe, they then moved to the K-Mart side of Delco and if memory serves me right, they then moved into the Jo-Ann Fabrics area of Delco.

10. Jim Grim says:

I recall a D. E. Jones in Mount Holly, NJ which always had the best selection of the cheapest stuff. It was like J. C Pennys quality at dollar store prices. Pillows, Pillow Ticks, Covers, Shoes, underwear, and batteries… just loads of stuff for rock bottom cheap prices. What ever happened to them? I last remember the stores in NJ before I moved to TN in 2004, when I returned to visit in 2005 it was as if it never had been. Did they go out of business or run in to problems with their business practices (like tax evasion)?

11. crystal says:

There was one in Frederick Maryland at the FSK mall. Loved it!!

12. LT says:

They use to have them in Ohio. WOW! great store! I wish we still had this store on a weekly basis. Ours went out on the basis of “remodeling”. yeah right. Luckily I knew something was up and I mass bought to items I purchased tere on a regular basis. IT’s bee years and I stillhave canvas shoes, light bulbs and such from DE Jones!

13. rkudasik says:

There was one in the Chambersburg Mall when I was a kid. Crazy that they’re still open in some places!