Grocery-shopping memories

Side note from Joan: If I’ve been counting correctly, today marks the 1,000th post on Only in York County. That’s pretty awesome!

* * * * * *

A newer commenter, Lowell Kohler, recently shared his memories of an experience that certainly is memorable to a lot of people.
No, not a big event, like a wedding or something. But something we all do ALL the time – grocery shopping!

groceries.jpgHe writes, “(I) remember the Food Fair store on S. George St. next to J.D. Leonard moving and storage. Across the street from Stetler Dodge. Went there every Fri. morning for groceries with my grandparents in a 51 Studebaker Commander that was bought at Anderson Motors on S. Queen at King.”
When I received that comment from Lowell, I had to particularly write to thank him. I don’t think I ever received so many iconic York memories in such a relatively short description! It’s great.

And I started thinking about my own grocery memories. When I was growing up in northern Dover Township, we used to go to the Weis in Dover Township most often, as well as Pathmark at the old Delco Plaza for things like dog food and other “major” stuff. It was close to a half-hour drive to get into Pathmark, and probably 20 minutes to Weis, so we didn’t go very frequently. But I remember getting to help with coupons, and I remember the nice ladies in the deli giving me a slice of American cheese when we’d stop by. (That’s in addition to the many groceries and most of our deli stuff that we purchased at the Market & Penn Farmers Market, by the way.)

It surprises me how clearly I remember all of that, though, and it surprised me that Lowell had the same clear memories, down to what day was “grocery day!”

How about you? Do you remember that sort of stuff from when you were younger?

This entry was posted in It used to be..., Local memories, York City/Suburban. Bookmark the permalink.

11 Responses to Grocery-shopping memories

1. Ben Lightner says:

I remember going the Giant on Market St. across for the fairgrounds when I was a little boy. My great grandmother was a seamstress and actually made the uniforms for the York High band in the 20′s and 30′s. Anyway she made me a Superman cape and I remamber flying through the Giant like Superman. Everyone looked at me as if there was something wrong with me. I didn’t care I was having fun. I just thought I would share that.

2. Bill L says:

For us it was Sechrists on South George Street

3. Skipper says:

I remember Streavig’s Grocery Store in the 400 block of East Main St. in Dallastown. Unfortunately a fire leveled the store. Turkey Hill built on the site but closed and is now Sal’s of Little Italy.
    I also remember Fife’s Grocery Store on the square in Dallastown. It now is Roma’s Pizza.
    Much earlier, like the 40′s was Ryer’s Grocery Store on North West corner of Main and Park Sts in Dallastown. I believe James Tyson took the ownership in the 50/s.

4. Jo says:

There was the grocery store in Shiloh that I cannot remember the name, across from what used to be Hamme’s garage. The owners lived in an apartment above the store and I remember a daughter being in the store sometimes. My mother would make me walk down there to get something needed for dinner that evening. The store sold mostly Shurfine products which can still be found in some stores today. That building now houses a dry cleaning business on one side and another business on the other side. The former grocery store took up both sides.

5. John Loeper says:

Congrats on your 1,000th post ! My mother would always want to shop for grocerys at the Safeway on W. Market street in West York. It later became a discount shoe store of some sort.

6. Bill L says:

My Grandmother’s choice was always Kline’s in Pleasureville.

7. Mike says:

I also remember the Food Fair on South George St. My grandmother lived right outside the back door on Boundary Ave. I also remember always going to Carl’s Newsstand for the paper, milk, and bread. I grew up on Cleveland Ave. and South Beaver St. so I have many memories of those blocks from Carl’s Newsstand south to York Hospital including Sechrists and Dimelow’s gas station on south George St.

8. Bill L says:

Carl’s Newstand was run by Carl Cassle or Cassel and his son Eddie—–they would come to your car on the curb and sell you the Dispatch, a Baltimore paper, or whatever paper you wanted. Their store couldn’t have been more than 20 feet wide.

9. John Woltman says:

Does anybody remember the AG store on Reynolds Mill Road (now Romberger’s Appliance store)? I see the large sign on the side of the building (going west) every day. Also, I grew up living one street behind Meckley’s Grocery Store (2400 block of South Queen Street) in Spry. Ran up to that store for my Mom more times than I can remember. Russ and Mary were wonderful people. And, Snyder’s was just a few block south (now, Anna’s Upholstery).

10. Scott C. says:

I remember going grocery shopping with my mom when I was very little at the Weis Markets on Bannister Street across from what is now the West York Middle School. The Weis later moved to its current White Street location and Wellspan now owns the old Weis. Sometimes we would go to the Giant near the fairgrounds, which is now referred to as “the Ghetto Giant”. I also remember going to Jay’s on Maryland Avenue to get a cake for my grandpa’s birthday. The cashier dropped the cake so we had to get another one. Now we mainly do our grocery shopping at the Giant at Delco.

11. Bupp's Grocery says:

Does anybody remember a grocery store out in Dog Town in West York ? It was located at 1473 Salem Road . My Dad owned that store . Mom would cook meals for the guys that stopped by that worked at Zinn’s Quarry at noon time . Dad passed away in 1958 and the store was opened under another name . Jack Bupp