Eating at Ernie’s, and memories of The Flamingo

Had a letter not too long ago from Yvonne Leiphart of West Manchester Township. Yvonne was kind enough to write in regarding several topics, including restaurants of the past in York County.

She says, “I wonder if you have in your directory one of my favorite restaurants of all time, ‘The Flamingo’ on Belmont St.” Well, I didn’t, but I do now! Thanks, Yvonne!

She also adds, “I have only one more thing concerning Don Strausbaugh’s inquiry about Ernie’s. I don’t remember an Ernie’s restaruant. But ‘Ernie’ McCall had the North Pole Drive in (corner of Whiteford Road and Sherman St.) where you could get sundaes.” We’d talked about that one in a post last month.

But Yvonne has another Ernie to mention. She continues, “Also ‘Ernie’ Rhodes had the Trail Coffee Shop on South George Street where I know you could get ice cream sundaes because I made my share of them as a waitress in the ’50s.”
Wow, that’s another addition to my list. Thanks, Yvonne! Anyone else remember The Flamingo or the Trail Coffee Shop?

This entry was posted in Local memories. Bookmark the permalink.

7 Responses to Eating at Ernie’s, and memories of The Flamingo

1. Tracey says:

My mom use to work at the Flamingo!!!!

2. Bill L says:

The Flamingo was the upscale, fancy spot for special occasions.

3. Brenda Neff says:

My father is asking about a restaurant in town called the Menuette. I remember one called the Minuet on East Market St. but that is not the one he is referring to. My girlfriend, her mother and my mother would go to the Minuet after church for hot chocolate and cinnamon toast. Anyone remember the Menuette?

4. ANITA LEHIGH says:

My Mom worked at the Flamingo too! Back in the 60’s it was a very nice upscale place to eat and then go to the theatre across the street…

5. John Loeper says:

this resturant thread is kinda cool. another resturant has poped into my head…Kellers Resturant and Bar in the 1500 block of W Market street in West York. Good bar food. It’s where I was introduced to french fries with gravy. The owner was called “Babe Keller”.

6. Kathleen Campbell Beaverson says:

My father, Frank Campbell, used to be the watchmaker and jeweler at Shaffner’s Jewelry Store that was located at 6 E Market St. and then moved across the street to 9 E Market St.
    My childhood memories consists of, Babe’s on the corner of S George St and E South St, the neighborhood’s hangout, Gehm’s Bakery, who made the best Butterscotch Buns in York, Fischer’s Grocery Store, George’s Stationary Store and Papa Dino’s on the corner of S George and W College Ave, and of course St. Mary’s Parochial School, which I attended.

7. Ken says:

11/04/2012
    Name of restaurent behind Bentz’s Furniture. Flamingo in 1961.