My bologna has a first name… but I’m not sure how to pronounce it

I warned you yesterday that we’d be coming back to the topic of bologna in today’s post!

But, as promised, we’re taking a different look. We’re going to talk about how you pronounce the word, not the food itself.

So what do you think?

As always, if you have an opinion, make sure to leave your thoughts in the comments too!

This entry was posted in Things we eat, Things we say. Bookmark the permalink.

6 Responses to My bologna has a first name… but I’m not sure how to pronounce it

1. ljr says:

Buh-lone-yuh

2. Fred Messerly says:

I do remember Howard Johnson’and the good clam strips and onion rings. I think I know the Shirley you told us about in the Daily Record. I worked with a Shirley at Thompson Office Equipment and then later she did work at HO-JO,s.
    Many times my dinner consisted of strips and rings. It probably started the clogging of my blood vessels at and early age.
    Fred Messerly

3. Joe says:

Oscar Mayer type stuff: ba-low-knee
    Lebanon bologna type stuff: ba-low-nuh

4. Jo says:

I can understand pronouncing bologna as “nee” if there’s a “y” on the end but not if an “a” is the last letter.
    Joe made me think of another pronouncement question and that is the bologna called Lebanon. Is it necessary to capitalize Lebanon when one is talking about luncheon meat???? And–how do people pronounce it? At Giant I say Leb-an-on so as to not sound stupid, but to family I spit out Leb-nun and they know exactly what I’m talking about!

5. Hubby says:

ba-low-knee for me.
    bo-log-na only for purposes of remembering how to spell it? (Anyone else do that — specifically pronounce words wrong as an aid in remembering how to spell them correctly?)

6. Mark Grubic says: