About a month ago, we talked about some business memories based on ads in a 1947 York cookbook.
Today’s mildly unusual source for a list of previous local businesses is what I believe to be a giveaway from The Drovers & Mechanics National Bank of York (a predecessor to what is today Fulton Bank.) This is a “personal directory” or pocket address book from about 1960. I picked my copy up at the York Emporium some time ago; it’s unused, and I actually would have loved to find it with someone’s actual addresses and notes in it, but it’s pretty cool on its own!
I’m going to include photos in a slideshow below of all the ads, because many of these are visual and pretty neat. But as a quick list, here are the businesses included.
- Jimmy Wilson, Jr. Storage, 540 S. George St., York
- Chas A. Schaefer Flower Shop, 124 W. Market St., York
- Yesco electrical product distributors, York and Lancaster
- Gary Miller dry cleaner, 238 E. Princess St., York, and Northgate Shopping Center, North York
- Dorothy Fox Fashion Shops, 208 E. Market St., York
- Gregory’s menswear, 26 N. George St., York
- A and T Tire Service, 1793 Whiteford Road, Springettsbury Township
- Myers Sales and Service, Whiteford Road at Memory Lane, Springettsbury Township
- Etzweiler Funeral Home, 1111 E. Market St., York
- York Paint and Hardware Co., 203 W. Market St., York
- Imperial Remodeling Contractors, Philadelphia and Queen streets, York
- Don Zeigler TV Sales and Service, 335 S. Pine St., York
- Geo. H. Wolf, distributor of Gulf products, 303 N. Sherman St., York
- Boone’s Auto Upholstering, 1320 Tornita St. (yes, that’s the spelling they give for it!)
- Monarch Beverage Co., 526 E. Boundary Ave., York
- Andes Furs, 237 E. Market St., York
- Colony Furniture House, 3432 E. Market St., Springettsbury Township