Late writing Ask Joan tonight, because Chris and I were out visiting the York Post Card Club at their monthly meeting. What a fun group – many of the folks read my columns in the paper, and I’m hopeful some of them will be checking out the blog now as well! Was fun to share a love of paper, postcards and local lore with them.
In this Ask Joan, I’m hoping you’ll share your knowledge as well – these are all questions for which I need YOUR help!
1. Help for a birthday surprise
2. Memories of Whitey’s Nite Lunch
3. Former Glen Rock Catholic church
1. My father’s name is Ed Saxe and he is a “lifelong yorker” as well. My mom and I are surprising Dad with a 70th birthday party this April and I am writing a story about Dad and all he has done. I’m not sure if you even know my dad, but I wanted to see if you would be able to help me in my search. Dad worked at a place called Eugene Jacobs in 1959. He got the job from a guy named Ron Beckmire and I have no idea if I am spelling that right. My question to you is, do you know Dad and is there anything interesting you could tell me so I can add it in my documentary, and also do you happen to know this Ron and would you happen to have any pictures of the Eugene Jacobs or surrounding areas from 1959?
- Shannon Minichino
I was in touch with Shannon and found out her dad, Ed, is spending March in Florida (LUCKY HIM!) and won’t be online during that time. So, I said, while I don’t know anything that would be helpful, I could put something on the blog and hopefully someone who reads this would be able to help!
Time is of the essence, so if you can help, please email Shannon directly at email@example.com. She’s hoping to hear from you! (And if you have memories of Eugene Jacobs to share, I’d like to hear those as well, so please feel free to send them my way too!)
Don’t forget – it’s a surprise, so if you know Ed and talk to him, keep this hush-hush!
2. Is anyone familiar with “Whitey’s Nite Lunch”, a diner in Red Lion in 1926?
- Carol Buchholtz
I wasn’t familiar with this diner, but I LOVE the name! Nite Lunch? Kind of like jumbo shrimp? (Sorry, you can tell I’m tired when my jokes get even less funny.) Anyway, if you do have any memories of Whitey’s to share, please do; I would love to make this the subject of a future post.
3. I am wondering if you have or can get any information about the Catholic Church that used to be on Catholic Valley Road in Glen Rock. The cemetery is still there. We bought our house in 1994 and the church was gone before then. Thanks!
- Karen Thoman
This was a case of a question asked to me some time ago, that I was trying to find info on but didn’t have any luck. So, rather than let it languish even longer (and my apologies, Karen, for the time it did so!), I thought this would be a great one to turn over to the crowd. Blake? Jim? Anyone else able to help Karen?
Got any questions? Ask Joan using the form at right. I’ll attempt to answer them in a future “Ask Joan” column on this blog. I get a large volume, but I will feature three each week and answer as many as possible!