Ask Joan: Good Neighbors edition

If you haven’t already, one of the many local blogs I’d encourage you to check out is Good Neighbors. It’s managed by Rose Hayes (who you might also know as an amazing source of info on pets) and talks about how you can help, right here in York County, whether by sharing your time, your knowledge, some items in need or more.

I feel like there are so many readers of THIS blog who truly love York County, that surely many of you will be able to help in some way? :)

What’s inside
1. Home of an insurance agent
2. Voting for Best of York
3. Princess Street crab cake memories

1. Hubby and I are having another “memory” debate. At 70 plus years of age this happens more often than not. Our latest disagreement is where the original Roy L. Geesey, Ins. Agent’s home was located. Not the business, the homestead. So far we have Queen St., George St. and Windsor Rd.
- Beverly

I told Beverly that I sure didn’t know this one – I bet my dad would have, if he were alive, as he spent many years working in both insurance and real estate in York County! But I also told her I’m sure someone reading would know, and I hope you’ll help if so.

And, as an aside – Chris and I have these “memory” debates already, and we’re 29 and 41… so, you know, don’t feel too bad, Beverly!

2. Where @ www.inyork.com do I vote for Best of York County – can’t find where to click?
- Arlene Gruver

I was happy to help Arlene with this! If you’re interested in voting for various businesses in the Best of York County contest run by the MediaOnePA advertising and marketing departments, just go to www.inyork.com/vote. But hurry; voting ends Friday, April 20!

3. Does anyone remember getting crab cakes from a place on W. Princess St. that I believe was called Riegert’s or something like that?
- Terry Parr

How about it, any ideas about crab cakes for Terry? Would love to help – and to hear more about where, exactly, and when this business was around!

Got any questions? Ask Joan using the form at right. I’ll attempt to answer them in a future “Ask Joan” column on this blog. I get a large volume, but I will feature three each week and answer as many as possible!

This entry was posted in Ask Joan and tagged . Bookmark the permalink.

9 Responses to Ask Joan: Good Neighbors edition

1. Mike says:

The crabcake place was Reikert’s as I recall. I was in the first block of East Princess St. The crabcakes were served on a large cracker, and it seemed like the crabcakes were as big as a hamburger. They were a treat for us in my family when we were growing up in the south end of York.

2. Mike says:

The crabcake place was Reikert’s as I recall. It was in the first block of East Princess St. The crabcakes were served on a large cracker, and it seemed like the crabcakes were as big as a hamburger. They were a treat for us in my family when we were growing up in the south end of York.

3. Jim Fahringer says:

I remember Reikert’s. The crab cakes were wondereful and you knew that they were made from real crabmeat. They were also well seasoned. I remember them being served on a cracker. To this day I always eat my crabcake with a saltine — a roll overpowers the taste of a crabcake. In the mid to late 1950′s we often bought crabcakes there. My grandmother loved those crabcakes. While she was on her deathbed she heard me talking about eating a crab cake. She wanted one so badly but was not allowed to eat one because of her physical condition. I felt so badly bringing it up. That was in 1958. I believe that Reikert’s continued into the early 1960′s but I believe that they must have gone out of business by the middle to late 1960′s. These crabcakes were delicious and in the evenings the store was very busy.

4. Thad says:

As a very little boy in the early 60′s I don’t remember the name of the crabcake place or the “on the cracker” that other replies have mentioned, but I do remember that it was in the first block of East Princess and I remember we went to a back window to pick them up and that the women who worked the window was older (maybe some of this is just made up in my longing for my youth). I think the building is what is now Granfalloons (assuming that is still in business – I don’t live in York anymore) or near that location (mabye a house that stood where their parking lot is now. This memory is another of this area as I remember going with my dad to the Pep Boys on the nearby block of S. George St. I can still smell the new tires and the Manny, Moe and Jack on the roof.

5. Mike says:

Yes, there was a Pep Boys in the block off of West Princess. There was also a Newstand next to Pep Boys that was open all hours and the Moose Lodge was on the other side of the street (across from the McDonalds now). I used to work in the bowling alley they had in the basement setting the pins in the pin setter. Got paid maybe 50 cents an hour plus all the free soda I could drink.

6. phil says:

The crabcake place was at 23 E. Princess. It was run by the mother of Richard Rieker, who taught chemistry at York High into the early 1970s. He and his wife lived at that address with his mother.

7. Rick Moul says:

I am too young to remember Rieker’s but, does anyone remember the crabcake place in the alley behind Farmers Market? That was always a treat for my family

8. Kevin Holzer says:

Roy L. Geesey was born in 1897. His wife, Esther was also born in 1897. They lived in the big house (on the east side) at the top of Chestnut Hill on Windsor Road. The home was later bought by the Gutierrez family. The house had a big “G” on the chimney. Their daughters lived across the street. One daughter, Doris was married to J. Ray Zarfoss. I do not remember the name of the other daughter and husband. We lived in the big farmhouse, which we rented from Mr. & Mrs. Geesey, at the foot of Chestnut Hill from late 1957 until we were asked to move out in mid 1977. By that time, Mr. Geesey had passed (1969) and Esther was being readied to move into a retirement home and needed all of her life issues “cleaned-up” before. My father took us along to the Roy L. Geesey Insurance office on East King Street monthly to pay the rent. Can you believe, it was a whopping $50.00 per month back in the early 70′s as I was growing up. At Christmas-time, Mrs. Geesey would always make it a point to bring us all some toys!!

9. Carolyn Woodring says:

I remember Reikert’s crab cakes as well. Think they cost $.25 each! They were delicious.

Does anyone remember Stell Holland’s candy in Shrewsbury? That was another yummy treat way back when!