Ask Joan: East Market Street memory edition

It’s rare that my Ask Joan questions have a theme themselves; I hear so many inquiries about so many different types of things that it’s hard to group them together.

This week was an exception, though! I received THREE questions all on former businesses on the same street!

What’s inside
1. Seeking name of former restaurant…
2. … and of a music store…
3. … and memories of import shop

1. (I’m seeking the) name of a restaurant on the corner of Memory Lane and East Market St. where Weis market now sits. Thought it was something like 7 Cousins or 7 Seas.
- Bella Fix

Any ideas for Bella? We don’t have a “seven” anything in our stores and restaurants of the past directory, so I’m at a loss and hoping someone reading can help!

2. (I’d like to know the) name of a music store on E. Market St. east of Sherman Street across from the Goodwill Fire Co.
- Julie Reeder

I got Julie’s question within a day of Bella’s, which I thought was neat – both East Market Street, though in different areas, and both ones that are unknown to me at this point.

Can’t wait to hear what you guys have to suggest!

3. There was an “export” shop that was in the basement of a house a few blocks from the square on Market St… It was a great place to get unusual gifts. Also there was a place called the Web for teens… Anyone else remember these places?
- Janeen

I swear that there was a Pier One Imports store in the second or third block of East Market Street on the north side. It could be entered through a below-ground-level door. I am pretty sure that I bought a poison ring down there. Any readers remember it?
- Jean Frigm

I received Janeen’s question above some time ago, and Jean’s just in the past week or so, along with the OTHER two East Market Street questions above.

I’m probably most interested in memories of this “underground import/export shop” than anything, just because of how neat it sounds. And a poison ring!

Would love to hear and spread the word about any and all of these.

Got any questions? Ask Joan using the form at right. I’ll attempt to answer them in a future “Ask Joan” column on this blog. I get a large volume, but I will feature three each week and answer as many as possible!

This entry was posted in Ask Joan, York City/Suburban and tagged , , , . Bookmark the permalink.

20 Responses to Ask Joan: East Market Street memory edition

1. Betsy Baird says:

I know that Hap Miller’s, later known as Archies’s, was at the corner of East
    Market St. & Memory RD/Haines Rd, where Weis now is. It certainly had
    delicious food, albeit some was expensive.
    It wasn’t shown on those other pictures of the intersection which you asked
    about some while back, and to which I had recently replied.

7 Cousins does ring a bell, and I forget where it was. Was it on Camp Betty
    Washington Rc, just above Mt. Rose Ave?

Betsy

• Leslee says:

Seven Cousins restaurant was between the Weis Markets and Hills Plaza (where Outback, Dollar Store etc.) are located. It was Seven Cousins (in the 60’s and early 70’s?) and later became Archie’s. As a high school student in the early 70’s it was a popular place for homecoming dinners. As I recall, a much smaller Weis Markets was on the corner of Haines Rd. and Market St. and then Seven Cousins/Archie’s was sort of in the parking lot area of Hill’s Plaza.

2. Jim Fahringer says:

I definitely agree with Betsy Baird that the original restaurant on the southeast corner of Memory Lane (on thesouth side of Market I guess it should be correctly called Haines Rd.) was known as “Hap Miller’s”. The Restaurant was also known as “7 Cousins” in the 1970’s. I ate there a number of times. It later became known by another name. It may have been Archie’s but I don’t remember. It seems to me there was also another name for a brief period. I agree the food was delicious.

3. Jim Fahringer says:

The Web was a teemage hangout on the north side of East Market Street close to Henry M. Blatner’s Photography and the Martin Memorial Library. They also had a back entrance in the alley that runs between Market and Philadelphia Streets.

There was another teen hangout that operated for a brief period of time in the back basement of the Rosenmiller Building at 35 West Market Street. It was called the “Middle Earth”. It also had an entrance in the back at the alley that runs between Market and Philadelphia Streets.

4. Jim Fahringer says:

I happened to look up “Hap Miller’s” on the YDR Exchange’s Defunct York County Restaurant thread and found a comment by J. Paules who says that Hap Miller’s was known as “Archangels’ in the 1980’s. I do not remember that name and I lived in the East York Area at the time.

5. Ivan says:

The music store on the south side of East Market St. east of Sherman was Keyboard Studios. It was the business home of the Shepherd sisters who taught accordion to many school studends in the early 50s.

6. Connie Morningstar says:

Keyboard studio was a great place it had 3 floors. It was next store to the funeral home (not Workingers the other side) across the street from the Goodwill firehouse. I had class upstairs on the second floor for many years.
    I also want to know the name of the store below ground on E. Market St. It sat 2 doors down from the Brownstone building. It had a real
    cool pond in the shop and alot of plants, more on the Asian theme.

7. Bob Rudisill says:

Joan,
    The building across from Goodwill Fire House on market street was the Sleeger Furniture Store and Funeral home,I know this because y father had them
    install Linoleum on the counter tops and floors in the homes he built and
    after they closed the man that done the installation went into business his
    self and when we built our home 60 years ago he installed the counter top
    and floors. I think the same building is Gladfelter Funeral Home now.
    Bob Rudisill

8. Terry Zellers says:

May have been the late 60’s 70’s but the music store I remember on E.Market st, was Julious music store. Just past the light at Sherman and E.Market

9. Sally Wilson says:

I believe it was Hap Miller’s, my husband & I were good friends of Hap’s son. Also, it was Old World Imports in the basement before the library, neat place. The Web I remember was in the basement at the corner of Pine & Philadelphia St., like a beatnik place back then. Some guy named Ray had a pet raccoon that he’d bring in. We always had fun.

10. Sally says:

After posting about the Web, I think now it what I remeber was the Mad Cubicle, at that corner, a very long time ago.

11. Karen Lillie says:

My sister, Libby Hostetter Mack, worked at the Import Shop over Christmas break from University of Arizona in 1970. It was located in the basement in the Martin Library block of East Market Street. It was owned by Mrs. Ports. Her husband was an attorney and I believe his office was above the store. She loved working there. She remembers buying a Peruvian poncho from the store. She also remembers the poison rings. There were 3 rooms of merchandise some of which she thinks Mr. and Mrs. Ports purchased on their travels. It was also one of my favorite stores to buy unique and unusual gifts.

• Bern Bevenour says:

Karen Lillie is right on the money. The attorney’s name was Horace Ports and his wife ran the shop. The merchandise on sale was acquired in their many trips abroad. It was a unique store with many, many interesting items for sale from many different cultures. It was a very unique shopping experience.

Bern

12. Ted Schaefer says:

That was Seven Cousins on E.Market close to Haines Rd. We used to go there to eat and dance often in the late 60’s and early 70’s. There had great steaks.

13. Deb McCoy says:

The gift shop on East Market Street was called Old World Imports. I loved to shop there for unique items from around the world. Located down small steps into a stone walled basement, it was like entering a storybook treasure cave filled from floor to ceiling. I bought an old mission bell there. The owner told me she purchased items on her world travels. It was a gem.

14. Joanne Hughes says:

Keyboard Studios was the music store east of Sherman St. I took accordion lessons there from Johnny Pickard, my teacher. My dad, Grover Kline, Jr., a painting contractor, took me there and then went to Connolly’s Paint Store on Sherman St. for his supplies and to pass the time waiting for me. I have many fond memories of my time spent at that “music store”.

15. Nancy Orndorff says:

Seven Cousins was the name of the restaurant on the corner of East Market Street and Memory Lane/Haines Rd. in the 1970’s. A second Seven Cousins was opened at the Park City Mall in Lancaster in the 1970’s. My parents and I had dinner at both restaurants. The food was delicious. I often chose Seven Cousins as the restaurant where we would go to have my birthday dinner.

16. Pat McDowell says:

The music store was Keyboard Studios–it had 3 floors. It had moved to East Market St. from W. Market St. in a business called Keystone “?” across from Reliance Fire Co. Keyboard then moved to Rt. 83 North and was called “Big Z” Music. Some former teachers there were Brian King (cello–father of Diane King Sussek and Brian King Jr–Magnificant Men), Johnny Pickard (accordian), Anna Steigelman (piano), Don Frey (drums), Alice Mae McDowell (piano/organ/accordian), Pat McDowell (flute/clarinet), Richard Truax (flute).