Our 4-H alpaca club is really gearing up for this year’s showing season. We’re practicing at least once a week with our (borrowed) alpacas at Alpacas of York and Painted Spring Farm, and shows will start in May.
That’s kept us Ottos very busy with our, er, fibrous and fun friends!
1. Photo of Dog House restaurant
2. Following up on ham barbecue
3. Seeking memories of Moser’s Restaurant
1. I would love a pic of the Dog House back in the ’60s. It was on the corner of E. Market and Memory Lane in York. I can’t seem to find a pic.
- Tammy Ayers
I told Tammy that she was in luck – we’d shared a Dog House picture from reader and commenter Steve Kohler in this post from last August, along with several other photos of Memory Lane’s former businesses.
I hope you’ll check them out. And… yum!
2. Speaking of yum, I heard from Sharon Tapp after I shared the request for the Avalong ham barbecue recipe.
Sharon writes, “My grandparents built the Avalong Dairy Bar, and I worked there for 22 years. I’m responding to (the) request for a recipe for Ham Barbecue … well, the ‘recipe’ is really simple. Slice ham nice and thin, heat and store in watery ham broth. That’s it really … we served the sandwiches on toasted hamburger rolls with green pickle relish. We kept the ham hot in steam tables … pretty simple!”
There you have it; something that even I could cook, most likely! Many thanks, Sharon!
3. We’d would like to know what people remember about the former Moser’s Family Restaurant. September House Senior Center has made the building their home now and would like to know more of the history. We do know it’s sort of a landmark in the community where many service clubs held their meetings. Anything you could dig up would be appreciated.
- Jackie Sprout
I would love for everyone to share their memories of the former Moser’s to help Jackie, so please comment if you recall this eatery!
Got any questions? Ask Joan using the form at right. I’ll attempt to answer them in a future “Ask Joan” column on this blog. I get a large volume, but I will feature three each week and answer as many as possible!