1. Remembering Alice Hoffer’s dress shop
2. Was mall gym Fitness America?
3. Seeking name of Queensgate restaurant
1. I was born in York and lived there until 14 when my family moved to Florida in 1961. My mother used to shop for herself and me at a very nice women’s dress store named “Alice Hoffer’s”. Maybe it had another name and Mother referred to it as Alice Hoffer’s because she owned it. I remember Alice as a very stylish petite brunette. This was during the 1950s. I’m thinking maybe it was across the street from the YWCA or somewhere near there. Can’t recall the street name. Do you know about this store?
– Becky Carr
This shop has been listed on our stores and restaurants of the past directory for some time, but I’ve not yet heard any memories specifically about it. If anyone has some to share, please comment for Becky!
2. I recall belonging to a fitness club that had a pool, sauna and stream room. It may have been at the West Manchester mall as one of the original tenants. Any information on such a gym?
– Ken Paup
We’ve talked before about there being a gym as one of the original tenants of the West Manchester Mall – in this 2013 post as well as one in 2011 – in that second one, reader Mike Roseberry suggests the name might have been Fitness America. Does that ring any bells, Ken?
3. Friends and I are trying to remember the name of a restaurant that was located in the Queensgate Shopping Center. 1970s, ’80s era, it was located next to the Weis store and was probably absorbed when the Weis rehabbed the store a few years back. The restaurant in question was famous for their veal dishes.
– Chris Johnson
We’ve talked about odds and ends of former Queensgate businesses before, including the Little Professor bookstore, the Pantry Pride grocery store, of course Gino’s and Mailman’s, but I have not heard a particular name for such a restaurant. Any ideas for Chris? Please let us know!
Got any questions? Ask Joan using the form at right. I’ll attempt to answer them in a future “Ask Joan” column on this blog. I get a large volume, but I will feature three each week and answer as many as possible!