On Saturday, April 12, Petco stores nationwide (except Hawaii) will host Hamster Ball Derby events.
Starting at 1:30 p.m., families are invited to bring their pet hamster and hamster ball to their local Petco store to watch these tiny companions race to the finish line in an effort to win the grand prize, a Super Pet Hamtrac Exercise Loop.
Participants will learn about the different ways they can continue the fun at home, such as adding a tunnel or wheel to their hamster habitat.
Staff members will be on hand to help kids 6 to 13 years old learn why hamsters make good pets and how to best care for these furry critters.
To get hamster fans excited about Hamster Ball Derby, Petco shared the following fun facts:
- Hamsters’ eyesight isn’t great; be sure to approach them slowly to avoid startling them.
- Hamsters are naturally nocturnal and are active through the night
- Hamsters can run up to eight miles a day on their hamster wheels
- Hamsters are naturally curious about their surroundings, hamster balls are the perfect way to keep them safe while allowing them to explore
- Hamsters can carry up to half their body weight in food in their cheek pouches
- Hamsters are smart and can be trained to perform tricks
- Hamsters like to be clean, be sure to wash hands before and after play time to keep everyone healthy
For more information about hamsters and Petco’s Hamster Ball Derby, visit www.petco.com/HamsterBallDerby or go to the nearest Petco Store.