Do you celebrate Halloween with your pets? This roundup of pet-related Halloween events, contests, etc., might give you some ideas.
I’d love to see photos of your pets enjoying the holiday, and post them on the YDR Pets blog. Email photos to firstname.lastname@example.org. One caveat: I won’t post photos showing animals in distress or animals being harmed in any way. If your pet isn’t having fun, please don’t force them to participate in holiday events.
- Maryland SPCA’s Halloween Wine & Wag Happy Hour will be 5:30 to 8 p.m. Friday, Oct. 21, at Downtown Dog Resort & Spa (200 W. McComas St., Baltimore 21230. The event will feature costume contests; enter your dog in one or more of three contests: Best Costume, Scariest Costume and Most Original/Unique Costume. In each contest, prizes will be awarded to first-, second- and third-place winners. Contests begin at 7 p.m. Enjoy off-leash play and complimentary hors d’oeuvres. There is a suggested donation of $3 for beer and wine or $1 for other beverages. Maryland SPCA would like to thank The Wine Source for providing the beer and wine ,and Downtown Dog for hosting the event. Halloween Wine & Wag admission is $15 in advance online or $20 at the door. Tickets are limited and may sell out. Dogs are admitted free, but only one dog per person is permitted. Kids are welcome, but must pay the full admission price. There will be a guest list at the door, so there’s no need to print out ticket confirmation. Buy tickets online.
For additional information, email Tami Gosheff at email@example.com.
- East York Veterinary Center’s Halloween Pet Parade will be noon to 1 p.m. Saturday, Oct. 22 the center, 1997 Industrial Highway, Springettsbury Township. Prizes will be awarded to the best dog and cat costumes. For details, visit www.EastYorkVet.com.
- PetSmart’s in-store Howl-O-Ween Photo Event from 3 to 5 p.m. Saturday, Oct. 22, will include a pet parade and costume contest at 3:30 p.m. and free goodie bags for the first 100 customers. Attendees can also get a 4×6 photo of their pet in a PetSmart collectible frame for $4.95. For details or to find a store near you, visit www.petsmart.com.
- Petco’s Pet Costume Contest will be 3 to 4 p.m. Saturday, Oct. 22, at Petco, 905 Loucks Road, York, PA. Bring your pet in a fun or frightening costume for a chance to win prizes. Pet costumes will be judged on creativity, originality, attention to detail and how well they suit the pet’s personality. Other Petco stores are also having costume contests; to find out if a store near you is participating, visit www.petco.com.
- Submit a photo of your pet in costume to PetSmart’s Monster Cute Photo Contest on Facebook by Oct. 24 for a chance to win an appearance in a PetSmart commercial, an all-expenses-paid trip to the commercial shoot location, appearances in other PetSmart ads and a year’s supply of GREENIES Dental Chews. For details, visit www.facebook.com/PetSmart.
- Enter Sure Fit’s Halloween Pet Costume Contest by Oct. 24 on Facebook, at www.facebook.com/surefitslipcovers “Like” the page, then click on “Pet Costume Contest” at the left side of the page for details. Facebook fans will select the winner by “Liking” their favorite photos. Voting will conclude Oct. 30. The winner will receive a prize pack of pet products: 1 Soft Suede Deluxe Comfort Cover With “Sanitized” protective finish (Chair, Loveseat, or Sofa Size), 1 Auto Friend Hammock,1 pet bed protector and 1 pet placemat.
- Forgotten Cats’ Yowl’oween Happy Hour will be 5 to 8 p.m. Tuesday, Oct. 25, at Chelsea Tavern, 821 N. Market St., Wilmington, Delaware. The event will include happy hour and free hors d’oeuvres, a silent auction, music by “One Cool Cat” Nik Everett and drink specials. A $10 tax-deductible donation is suggested at the door; $7 if you bring unopened bag or cans of cat food. For details, visit www.forgottencats.org or call 302-792-7096.
- Last day to enter BirdChannel.com’s Halloween Photo Contest is Oct. 28. That’s also the last day you can vote for other photos. Enter Halloween-themed photos of your pet birds at www.birdchannel.com.
- During Boo Bash on Oct. 29 at First Impressions Boutique, Gifts & Day Spa, 5943 Linglestown Road, Harrisburg, PA, a percentage of sales from select merchandise will go to support Humane Society of Harrisburg Area. Stop by the store that day to meet some of HSHA’s adoptable dogs in their favorite Halloween costumes.
- Little animal lovers are invited to Howl-O-Ween at HSHA from 5 to 6:30 p.m. Oct. 29 for a night of safe and fun indoor trick-or-treating with the pets at Humane Society of Harrisburg Area, many of whom will be in their favorite costumes. Email firstname.lastname@example.org to register. For more information, visit www.humanesocietyhbg.org.
- PAWS’ ‘Raise Your Paws’ Masquerade Ball will be 6 to 11 p.m. Saturday, Oct. 29, at the Holiday Inn in Grantville, PA. The event will include a buffet dinner, a silent auction, basket raffles, a DJ and dancing. Costumes are optional; prizes will be awarded. Cost is $50 per person; $375 per table of eight. All proceeds benefit PAWS’ foster/adoption program and spay/neuter program. For details, call 717-957-8122, ext. 5; or visit pawsofpa.org.
- Enter Petco’s Howl-O-Ween Online Pet Photo Contest by Oct. 30 on Facebook at www.facebook.com/PETCO.
- The top 10 finalists have been unveiled in FM 97 WLAN’s Howl O’Ween Pet Costume Contest.
Check them out and vote for your favorite. The winner will be announced Oct. 31 with the Morning Rush.
- The 2011 Critter Halloween Costume Contest for small animals ends Oct. 31. The contest, which hosted by SmallAnimalChannel.com, is open to guinea pigs, rabbits, ferrets, hamsters and other small pets. For details or to enter, visit www.smallanimalchannel.com.