THROUGH JUNE 30
- June 30 is the deadline to enter Pet Valu’s third annual Calendar Casting Call photo contest. Your pet could win one of 12 starring roles in Pet Valu’s 2015 calendar. For details or to enter, visit castingcall.petvalu.com.
THROUGH JULY 15
- July 15 is the deadline to submit entries in PetPartners’ Animaltarian of the Year contest. Do you know someone who helps wrangle lost pets on the streets? Do you work for a group who saves animals when natural disasters occur? Do you know a no-kill shelter that helps animals in the community?. What about a therapeutic horse ranch for kids with disabilities? Maybe your veterinarian is known for pro bono medical care? That person or group has a chance to win $5,000 and be crowned the Animaltarian of the Year, presented by PetPartners. Check out this video for information on how to get involved: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=udXj-VP-zaw&feature=youtu.be. If you know a person, organization, veterinarian or a grassroots group that fits this bill, tell them to shoot a video of their story and submit it to www.petpartners.com/animaltarian. Are you a video novice? You can submit on the group or person’s behalf. Once the video is submitted, call everyone you know and get them to vote for it and get them to share the video with people they know, too.
Important Contest Dates:
• June 2 to July 15th, submission round. Share your story and view other submissions.
• July 15 to Aug. 31, Round 1. Share your video and get lots of votes.
• Sept. 5 to 30, Round . Top five finalists selected, voting starts over.
• Oct. 1, PetPartners will announce the winner of the $5,000 and proclaim the Animaltarian of the Year.
- Howlin’ at Hershey, an evening of wine and beer tastings to benefit the Humane Society of Harrisburg Area, will be 5:30 to 8:30 p.m. Thursday, June 12, at The Vineyard and Brewery at Hershey, 598 Schoolhouse Road, Middletown, PA. Attendees can enjoy three of the Vineyard’s top-rated wines and three of the Brewery’s hand-crafted beers paired with food, plus one glass or pint of your choice. This is a dog-friendly event, so please feel free to bring your furry friend along for a night of food, drinks and entertainment. Tickets are $25 in advance or $30 at the door. For details, call Lori at 717-564-3320 x121 or email email@example.com. Click here to order advance tickets.
- A microchip and rabies vaccine clinic will be 10 a.m. to noon Saturday, June 14, at York County SPCA, 3159 Susquehanna Trail North, Manchester Township (York County, PA). The rabies vaccination is $15 and the microchip cost is $25. In order to receive a rabies vaccination that is valid for 3 years, proof of a previous vaccination must be provided. Dogs must be on leashes and cats must be in carriers.
- Animal Rescue Inc. of New Freedom will hold a donation drive Saturday, June 14, at the Farmer’s Market in the Advanced Auto parking lot, 902 Shrewsbury Commons Ave, Shrewsbury, PA. This event, hosted by Shrewsbury Township, will give everyone an opportunity to stop by and drop off donation items. Items most needed are: dry dog and cat food (Purina ProPlan or holistic), any brand of wet dog and cat food, powdered KMR (kitten meal replacement), dish soap, paper towels, paper plates, puppy pads, cat scratching pads, rubber-backed rugs, pillowcases, plastic brooms, banker’s boxes, disinfectant spray, weight circles from Purina pet foods, humane animal traps and gift cards. For a complete wish list, visit animalrescueinc.org.
- 108 Sun Salutations, a fundraiser for Furry Friends Network, will be 1 to 3 p.m. Saturday, June 21, at Simply Well Yoga Studio, 28 S. Pitt St., Carlisle, PA.
- A low-cost vaccination and microchip clinic will be 10 to 11 a.m. Saturday, June 21, at Humane Society of Harrisburg Area, 7790 Grayson Road, Harrisburg, PA. For details, visit www.humanesocietyhbg.org/low-cost-voucher-clinics
- West York BARk will hold a balloon release, in memory of pets and other loved ones who have passed away, at 1 p.m. June 21 at Shelly Park, N Highland Ave., West York. Cost is $5 for a balloon or $10 for three. The balloons are latex-free, and raffia will be used for string. Choose from pink or blue. Balloons must be ordered in advance; email WestYorkBARk@gmail.com or call 717-880-2957.
- The York County SPCA will host its first Horsey Hoedown from 6 to 10 p.m. Saturday, June 21, at the Yorktowne Hotel, 48 East Market Street, York, PA. The Horsey Hoedown is a casual, country/western-themed fundraising event to benefit the York County SPCA’s Equine Welfare Program.
Tickets are available for $45 per person. The event features a catered dinner with a western flair, music by the Whiskey River Band, a silent auction and a raffle. Prizes will be awarded for best western outfits. Guests arriving at the event will be greeted at the hotel’s Duke Street Entrance by a chestnut-colored miniature horse. Free parking is available at the garage across from the Yorktowne Hotel on East Market Street. To purchase tickets, call Urology Associates of York at 717-741-9136, ext. 106; or the York County SPCA at 717-764-6109, ext. 128.
- The Blues Plays On for the Pups will be noon to 6 p.m. Sunday, June 22, at Naylor Wine Cellars, 4069 Vineyard Road, Stewartstown, PA 17363-8478. Entertainment will include The Red Band from noon to 2 p.m., The PA Ladies Improv Group from 2 to 4 p.m. and the Chaz Depaolo Band from 4 to 6 p.m. Proceeds will be donated to Canine Rescue of Central PA. Vendor spaces are still available. For details, call Gail Naylor at 717-515-9232 or email Paradise4pups@gmail.com. Family friendly event, but no pets, please.
- A low-cost vaccination and microchip clinic will be 9 to 11 a.m. Saturday, June 28, at Hamilton Health Center, 110 S 17th St., Harrisburg, PA. For details, visit www.humanesocietyhbg.org/low-cost-voucher-clinics
- West York BARk will team up with Central PA Animal Alliance for a stuff-the-truck event June 28 and 29 at PetValu 1919 Springwood Road, York Township (York, PA 17403). Stop by and donate pet supplies from 9 a.m. to 9 p.m. June 28 and from 10 a.m. to 6 p.m. June 29. Supplies needed include dog food and treats, cat food and treats, cat litter, food bowls, towels, blankets, leashes, collars, toys, and supplies for small animals and birds. For details, email WestYorkBARk@gmail.com or call 717-880-2957.
- The Central Pennsylvania Animal Alliance will hold a pet vaccine and microchip clinic for cats and dogs from 11 a.m. to 2 p.m. Sunday, June 29, at All About Pets Too, 10 W. Broadway in Red Lion. Appointments are required for this clinic; no walk-ins will be accepted. Appointments should be made by calling 717-244-4099 or by visiting the store before the day of the clinic to sign up. Rabies, canine and feline distemper, and canine kennel cough vaccines will be offered for $10 each. Three-year rabies shots are available; however, you must bring paper proof of previous rabies vaccine that is not overdue (tags are not sufficient proof). If no paper proof, pets can still receive one-year rabies vaccines. HomeAgain microchipping will be available for $25, which includes registration. Wormer and flea treatment will also be available. Breeders cannot participate. Payment must be made in cash. All dogs should be on short leashes (no chains, please) and cats in secure pet carriers. Aggressive dogs should arrive muzzled. Animals that are ill, pregnant, nursing, or those who have had vaccine reactions in the past cannot be vaccinated at this clinic. Vaccines and microchips will be administered by Veterinarian Melissa McFarland, DVM, of Cape Horn Veterinary Associates in Red Lion. For details, email Michele at firstname.lastname@example.org, call 717-576-0899 or visit www.dianejfordvmd.com, www.petbathandbeyond.biz and www.castawaycritters.org.
- A low-cost vaccination and microchip clinic will be 9 to 11 a.m. Saturday, July 5, at Humane Society of Harrisburg Area, 7790 Grayson Road, Harrisburg, PA. For details, visit www.humanesocietyhbg.org/low-cost-voucher-clinics
- Support Forgotten Cats by getting your car washed from 8:30 a.m. to 6 p.m. Monday, July 7, at Magic Car Wash, 3221 Naamans Road, Wilmington, DE 19810. Forgotten Cats will receive a $3 donation for every Super, Ultimate or Works wash purchased.
- A low-cost vaccination and microchip clinic will be 9 to 11 a.m. Saturday, July 19, at Humane Society of Harrisburg Area, 7790 Grayson Road, Harrisburg, PA. For details, visit www.humanesocietyhbg.org/low-cost-voucher-clinics
- A low-cost vaccination and microchip clinic will be 9 to 11 a.m. Saturday, July 26, at Hamilton Health Center, 110 S 17th St., Harrisburg, PA. For details, visit www.humanesocietyhbg.org/low-cost-voucher-clinics
- July 26th is our6th Annual Yard Sale/Festival
West York BARk will hold its sixth annual yard sale and festival from 9 a.m. to 3 p.m. July 26 at Shelly Park in West York. Rain date is Aug 2. Yard-sale spaces are available for $15; must supply your own table. Vendors/crafters spaces are available for $25. BARk is asking for a donation of pet food or other pet supplies for its Stuff the Cruiser, which will be used for its Needy Pet Drive. Anyone interested in participating should email WestYorkBARk@gmail.com or call 717-880-2957.. The event will include games for kids, a dunk tank, hot dogs, drinks, popcorn, cotton candy, pork barbecue dinners and more.
- Support Forgotten Cats by getting your car washed from 8:30 a.m. to 6 p.m. Monday, Aug. 4, at Magic Car Wash, 3221 Naamans Road, Wilmington, DE 19810. Forgotten Cats will receive a $3 donation for every Super, Ultimate or Works wash purchased.
- A microchip and rabies vaccine clinic will be 10 a.m. to noon Saturday, August 9, at York County SPCA, 3159 Susquehanna Trail North, Manchester Township (York County, PA). The rabies vaccination is $15 and the microchip cost is $25. In order to receive a rabies vaccination that is valid for 3 years, proof of a previous vaccination must be provided. Dogs must be on leashes and cats must be in carriers.
- Animal Rescue Inc.’s Dogs’ Day in the Park & The Mutt Strutt will be Sept. 13 in Marge Goodfellow Park in New Freedom. The Mutt Strutt begins at 9 a.m.; Dogs’ Day in the Park will be 10 a.m. to 4 p.m. The event includes vendors and rescues, food, games and contests, demonstrations, and more. If you don’t have a dog to bring to the event, you can rent one of the Animal Rescue dogs. Sponsorships are needed. Click here for details.
- Furry Friends Network’s ninth annual Race for Their Lives 5K trail run and 2-mile fun walk will be Saturday, Sept. 27, at Gifford Pinchot State Park’s Conewago Day Use Area. The race starts at 9 a.m. This year’s event will benefit CPAA’s HOPE (Hounds of Prison Education) program, which pairs carefully screened inmates with needy dogs for a period of several weeks to several months. The inmates work with a professional trainer, prison staff and HOPE volunteers to provide the dogs with basic obedience training, socialization, behavior modification and one-on-one attention, which makes the dogs more likely to be adopted. Monetary sponsorships, donated items, or gift cards to your business can be used to make the event successful. Your help is desperately needed and will make a significant difference in the lives of homeless and unwanted animals. For information on HOPE, visit www.hopedogs.org. For details on FFN’s Race for Their Lives, visit furryfriendsnetwork.com.
- Mason-Dixon Car Club’s Cruise Night to benefit Animal Rescue Inc. of New Freedom from 4 to 8 p.m. Saturday, Sept. 27, at Dallastown Family Restaurant in York Township, near Dallastown, PA. Cost is $5. For details, visit www.masondixoncarclub.com or call 717-244-0994.
- A microchip and rabies vaccine clinic will be 10 a.m. to noon Saturday, October 18, at York County SPCA, 3159 Susquehanna Trail North, Manchester Township (York County, PA). The rabies vaccination is $15 and the microchip cost is $25. In order to receive a rabies vaccination that is valid for 3 years, proof of a previous vaccination must be provided. Dogs must be on leashes and cats must be in carriers.