Penn State football “new coach” chat, 7:30 p.m., Jan. 6

Athletic director Dave Joyner said the search for a new Penn State head coach would take days, not weeks.

But how close is he really to finding the new man? Recruits and players are waiting, the clock is ticking.

So let’s chat about the replacement for Bill O’Brien and more tonight … at a new time, from 7:30 to 8:30, before the national title game. Who is your favorite candidate to become the Nittany Lions’ new leader? James Franklin, Mike Munchak or even Larry Johnson? Maybe a longer-shot like Ball State’s Pete Lembo or Duke’s David Cutcliffe?

Maybe even Al Golden truly is still in play. And check out my story from Sunday on why former Nittany Lion linebacker Andre Powell thinks Golden would be the right man for the job.

We’ll talk about that and recruiting and everything else Penn State football. Join me!

This entry was posted in Bill O'Brien, Chat, coaching staff, Dave Joyner, Fans, Football, Frank Bodani, Larry Johnson, Penn State, Recruiting and tagged , , , , , , , , . Bookmark the permalink.

10 Responses to Penn State football “new coach” chat, 7:30 p.m., Jan. 6

1. Ted Neville says:

Brent Venebles to PSU

2. Bob says:

I want Munch. I think he has a lot of dedicated coaches that come along with him from the Titans

• Frank Bodani says:

He is an intriguing pick to me, with exclusive NFL experience. His staff would be key. Who would be his top recruiters, his offensive coordinator?

3. Tom says:

Perhaps it would be a good time to hire a successful coordinator as opposed to an established head coach. Keep the expectations from being too unrealistic and he could be seen as a young new coach growing with a young new program.

• Frank Bodani says:

I understand the thought, Tom. But I think Dave Joyner wants someone with head coaching experience. Wants more of a proven commodity.

4. sherwood l kneebone says:

i’d go for pete lembo he has had a great coaching career at lehigh elon ball state
    he is relatively unknown in big time college football but the kind of coach who could really help penn state and would be around for a while

• Frank Bodani says:

Pete Lembo is definitely a name that has been talked up. Is there any interest from Penn State? Not sure. I would like to see a guy like that get a big-time chance. But I believe some are hesitant to roll those dice considering all of his experience has been at lesser programs (size, resources). Has been passed over for bigger jobs recently.

5. Chris says:

If Vandy’s coach doesn’t want the job I feel Ed Orgeron’s experience of holding USC together and his recruiting experience would make him a great candidate.

• Frank Bodani says:

Interesting pull, Chris. Just haven’t heard any talk at all about Ed being interested in coming East, or having any interest in Penn State. Having said that, no one saw Bill O’Brien coming, either, two years ago.