A collection of original documents we’ve used in our reporting. We add documents regularly, so check back often.
If you have documents you’d like us to add, or a suggestion of documents we should seek, or a question about any of the documents, let us know by e-mailing firstname.lastname@example.org.
· Charging documents in the Rev. Matthew Jarrell case.Some material may be offensive to some readers.
Joanna Seibert’s house arrest request
Fatal shooting of game commission officer
Christopher Lynn Johnson criminal history
State police allege Christopher Lynn Johnson, 27, shot and killed state game commission officer David L. Grove Thursday. Adams County court records show the following criminal history for Johnson:
Hidden children allegations
· Inspections of 734 S. Duke St., where the children allegedly had lived.
· Jan. 19, 2011: Results of audit of York County drug forfeiture fund.
· Jan. 19, 2011: District Attorney Tom Kearney’s report clearing York City Police in shooting of armed robbery suspect.
Whitaker-Springettsbury police fatal shooting
· Plaintiffs’ opposition to defendants’ motion for summary judgment. Includes Whitaker family’s version of what the video shows.
· Defendants’ reply to plaintiff’s opposition to motion for summary judgment.Includes portion of Officer Gary Utter’s deposition, still photographs from video and autopsy report.
· State police investigative report.Includes partial transcript of state police’s interview of Officer Gary Utter nine days after the shooting.
· Springettsbury police supplemental report. Includes breakdown of surveillance video and District Attorney Stan Rebert’s complete ruling that the shooting was justified.
· Oct. 6, 2009: Federal indictment against three people charged with forced labor trafficking, marriage fraud and forced labor in connection with nail salon businesses in York County. Read the story here.
· Also in forced labor trafficking case: Search warrant affidavit that includes narrative of allegations.
· State supreme court’s
disciplinary action against York lawyer Stanley Silver.
· Lawsuit over the marketing of ‘The Drifters’ name:
Read the decision in the case.
· Donna Dull civil complaint:
Original complaint.All defendants except West Manchester Township Police Officer Sean Conway and York City Police Sgt. Nicholas Figge have been released from the lawsuit.
· Witman murder case:
· Dec. 10, 2008: Affidavit for arrest of Penn Township commissioner Michael Johnson, accused of rape and other charges.
Navy Petty Officer Gatlin Green’s death:
· Feb. 2011: York County Council of Churches board president Chad Linder’s letter addressing dismissal of YCCC’s executive director and asking whether the council should continue.
· Board members sue Angel Food Ministries and its founding family: Read the lawsuit (pdf)
Documents associated with city council primary flier controversy.
AG’s legislative investigation
Feb. 1, 2012: Stetler motion
· May 25: Grand Jury’s report on the Legislature.
· April 13: AG’s answer to Stetler motion to dismiss,re-filed after judge’s order.
· March 25: Stephen Stetler’s motion to dismiss charges.
· Dec. 15 grand jury presentment
on former York Rep. Steve Stetler.
· May 6, 2010: Pa. Rep. Todd Platts’ campaign finance report.
· May 4, 2010: Pa. Rep. Daryl Metcalfe’s proposed immigration law.
· Jan. 4, 2010: York Mayor Kim Bracey’s inaugural address.
Commonwealth Court decision on addresses and 911 time-response logs
· Oct. 12, 2010: State Sen. Dominic Pileggi’s letter on proposed amendments to right-to-know law.
· March 23, 2010: Office of Open Records’ decision on appeal of Gilliland vs. Pennsylvania State Police right-to-know request.
· State open records office denies man’s request for his own Children & Youth Services records:
Read the ruling.
· State open records office rules 911 time-response logs must include locations:
Read the decision.
· Update Dec. 10: County judge overturns state open records office’s decision, rules time response logs include times but not addresses: Read the decision.
· Bowders-York Township open records case:
Appeals to Office of Open Records through Feb. 4:
Selected Office of Open Records rulings on right-to-know appeals:
Nov. 15, 2011: State ethics commission finds former York City School Board member Barry Freeland violated the ethics act.
Feb. 2011: Discovery motion by former South Eastern schools Supt. Tracy Shank in her false-report case.
· March 3, 2011: Report from Stoudt Advisors to York City School Districtclearing two board members of harassment claim, but suggesting a closer look at racism allegations against certain members of the board, and issues of board members overstepping their authority.
· March 3, 2011: Former York City School District Supt. Sharon Miller’s discrimination complaintagainst district and school board.
· Feb. 2011: Discovery motion by former South Eastern schools Supt. Tracy Shank in her false-report case.
· Feb. 2011: Department of Education’s order in which Newton H. Miller surrendered his state education certifications in lieu of discipline.
· Feb. 2011: Newton H. Miller Pennsylvania certification applications on which Miller did not acknowledge his criminal record.
· Feb. 2011: Newton H. Miller state police criminal record check.
· Feb. 2011: Newton H. Miller job application to Crispus Attucks.
· Feb. 2011: Newton H. Miller Pennsylvania work history.
· May 2010: Letter from York City schools Supt. Sharon Miller’s lawyer to the school board,alleging that the board has created a hostile work environment.
· Aug. 2010: Letter from the York City school board to Supt. Sharon Miller,telling her that her relationship to the board had eroded and the district’s mission to educate children can’t be fulfilled.
·Sept. 1: South Eastern’s response to Office of Open Recordsasserting why a lawyer’s investigation into the district’s administration should be kept private.
· Resignation agreement between South Eastern School District and Supt. Tracy Shank, which was rejected by school board.
· Central York
· Dallastown Area
· Dover Area
· Eastern York
· Hanover Public
· Northern York County
· Red Lion Area
· South Eastern
· South Western
· Spring Grove
· West Shore
· West York
· York City
· York Suburban
· Settlement agreement between
York County School of Technology and former director James Kraft.
· Central York will honor top two graduating seniors:
Read the district’s statement here.
· Former York City school board member appeals removal from board
Read former board member Hiawatha Powell’s appeal. Also: Read the York City School District’s court filing. Additional coverage: Read about the school board’s replacement of Powell.
· City school board expense reports for April trip to San Diego:
· Beverly Atwater
· Pa. education secretary’s letter to school districts regarding federal stimulus money
· Documents related to “City schools’ alt-ed costs on rise”
Snyder v. Phelps
(Special section: Snyder v. Phelps)
Supreme Court sides with Westboro Baptist Church in military funeral case
July 14: Amicus briefs supporting Westboro Baptist Church
· Reporters Committee for Freedom of the Press and others.
· Foundation for Individual Rights in Educationand others.
June 1: Amicus briefs supporting Snyder
June 1: Amicus briefs supporting neither Snyder nor Westboro
· May 24: Albert Snyder’s
briefs to the U.S. Supreme Court in Snyder v. Phelps.
· Sept. 24, 2009: U.S. fourth circuit court of appeals’
decision that Westboro Baptist Church’s protest at a local Marine’s funeral was protected free speech.
· October 2010: East Market Street traffic study
‘River of Mud’ documents
Documents related to ‘River of Mud,’a York Daily Record/Sunday News special project in September 2009 about the buildup of sediment behind Conowingo Dam and the looming danger should the muck wash into the Chesapeake Bay.
· Grant proposal for sediment study: Stewards of the Lower Susquehanna’s 1998 proposal to the National Fish and Wildlife Foundation for money to study dredging sediment and turning it into a building material.
· Comments on Conowingo dam relicensing: Lower Susquehanna Riverkeeper Michael Helfrich’s June 2009 comments to the Federal Energy Regulatory Commission on a relicensing proposal for Conowingo Dam.
· Letter on sediment dangers: Lower Susquehanna Riverkeeper Michael Helfrich’s November 2007 letter to elected officials on the dangers of sediment buildup behind the Conowingo dam.
· Sediment storage capacity report: A June 2009 U.S. Geological Survey-led study on how much room for sediment is left behind the Conowingo dam.
· Sediment task force report: The Susquehanna River Basin Commission Sediment Task Force’s June 2002 recommendations.
· DEP complaints and inspections regarding Gemmill Farm in Peach Bottom Township.
· Summer camp pool inspections:
· CAFO violations:
· Posted Sept. 22:
NRC’s letter to Peach Bottom Atomic Power Station about investigations into whether two people “separately engaged in deliberate misconduct” while working there.
· PPL’s response to EPA about
coal combustion residue at Brunner Island Power Station.
· President Obama’s memorandum to federal agencies on how to interpret Freedom of Information Act.
· FBI’s investigation file on Lillie Belle Allen’s death during the 1969 riots in York
· FBI’s investigationinto York newspaperman James Higgins’ support of Castro’s Cuba