I’m all for trying new foods when I travel.
Octupus, lamb, alligator, turtle soup… I think sampling local foods is one of the best ways to learn about the culture of the place you’re visiting.
But I draw the line at guinea pig.
The picture above is one I snapped in a small town in the Ecuadorian Andes in July 2002. We saw them grilling on the sidewalk in front of restaurants. I suppose it’s a way to entice customers.
I never had one of the squeaky creatures as a pet growing up, but I visited my college roommate once when she had two guinea pigs and I will never forget the squeaking they made all night long. I can’t eat that.
Pigs squeak and squeal too, you say. Cows moo. Chickens crow.
I know, I know, I know.
But it horrified me to read this USA Today story about how guinea pig is all the rage in restaurants in Lima, Peru.
Good thing I’m going to Buenos Aires and not Lima this winter.
At least there they only eat regular pigs and cow.
Vegetarians everywhere, I beg you, pray for me!
What’s the strangest food you’ve eaten while traveling? Post a comment and share.
Error: Twitter did not respond. Please wait a few minutes and refresh this page.
Connect with us
- FlipSide Blog | Shops on North Beaver Street in York to host Men’s Night Out event Wednesday on Local retailers have something for everyone on your list
- FlipSide Blog | Meet the new FlipSide Entertainment Editor: Ashley May on Be fancy: The practical high-society look you need this holiday season
- Smart Magazine | Manners Matter: Gift giving and receiving etiquette on York County librarians name best books to give as gifts for the holidays
- Sakthi on How to find the perfect purse, handbag or tote
- April Trotter on Have an iPad? Download our free Cookie Cookbook
Tagsabby rhoad april trotter central market Christmas container garden chronicles contest cooking Courtney Cashour craft DIY exercise family fitness food food allergies food allergy green green living health heidi thomas holiday countdown holidays How I Pinch a Penny Jess Reed kids Leigh Zaleski Mindy Quesenberry Of Pots and Pens Pa. parenting Pennsylvania pinterest Rebecca LeFever recipe sarah chain Sarah Mock Smart Smart Health Challenge Smart magazine thanksgiving video York york city York County York PA