How can they say the president lied about WMD?

By JAKE
MOKRIS
Sometimes, I hear someone make a claim or an assumption that can’t really be known to be true. For example, some Americans claim that President Bush lied about the existence of weapons of mass destruction in Iraq. That’s something people say today, that the president is a liar because he lied about this issue. I don’t think that there’s a good case for that.
When the United States went to war in Iraq, we all believed that Iraq had weapons of mass destruction, or at least a program to create such weapons. That belief was incorrect. Why did we think that there were such weapons in Iraq? The intelligence at the time supported that belief. Why was the intelligence wrong? I do not know. We obviously didn’t have the right information. Maybe someone made an error.

I have heard that Saddam Hussein’s government was trying to make it seem as if Iraq had weapons of mass destruction, when it actually didn’t. As I said, I don’t know. I’m not sure that anyone knows. Thus, no one can “know

About Scott Fisher

I'm opinion page editor and blogging coordinator for the York Daily Record/Sunday News and Yorkblog.com. Phone: 717-771-2049. Email: sfisher@ydr.com. Twitter: twitter.com/YDReditpage.
This entry was posted in Rants. Bookmark the permalink.

11 Responses to How can they say the president lied about WMD?

1. Nathan says:

I do agree: give the man some respect. I may not agree with him, but he holds the keys to a nuclear bomb, which could destory the world. So, who else are we going to blame? The flase intelligence reports? Absolutly.

2. Katie says:

You said before that Pres. Bush deserves respect, and I agree with that. I do not agree, however, that we shouldn’t question the President’s judgement, or expose it if he did lie.
    Do you agree with this? – “I think the burden is on those people who think he didn’t have weapons of mass destruction to tell the world where they are.” –White House Press Secretary Ari Fleischer, July 9, 2003
    What about this? – “We found the weapons of mass destruction.” –President Bush, in an interview with Polish television, May 29, 2003
    I hope not. I’ve never seen Fahrenheit 9/11 (I’ve heard it’s pretty left-ist), but I have seen objective documentaries about 9/11 like Loose Change, In Plane Site, and 9/11: Road to Tyranny. Have you checked into the facts found in such non-liberal venues?
    I know the internet is anything but infallible, but just try googling “bush ties to bin laden family” or “conspiracy the saudi connection.”
    Saying that “the first thing we should do… is believe the government,” shows that you are biased, I’m afraid. We must remember that the government isn’t infallible, either.
    Hope we’re still on good terms! lol.
    ~*~ Katie ~*~

3. Nathan says:

Well, Al Zarquari is one thing, but no WMDs after 3 years… that’s another.

4. Matt Dunphy says:

Jake, you said “When the United States went to war in Iraq, we all believed that Iraq had weapons of mass destruction, or at least a program to create such weapons.”
    This umbrella statement is wholly incorrect and untrue. I didn’t believe Iraq has weapons of mass destruction. Now, my father was in Desert Shield with the 193rd Special Operations Group out of Harrisburg, and since then I’ve paid a lot of attention to the region. So maybe I was more familiar with the territory than you. But more informed than the President?
    Attacking Iraq was something like beating down the slow kid in class. He might make unusual noises and glare at people, but he’s not a particular threat to anyone, and there are much more important things to do than kick him around.
    The first reason we were told that we went to war was because Iraq might want to develop WMDs, and because there were ties to Al Quaida. Whoops. No WMDs. No terrorist training camps. (Not til after we invaded, anyway.) Then it was to win over the hearts and minds of Iraqis… ‘Shock and Awe’ tactics and Abu Ghraib didn’t really help in that respect. Okay, so Saddam Hussein was a big jerk, and we caught him. There are a lot of jerks in Asia and Africa, too. Sudan’s got bigger problems than Iraq ever had (before the war, anyway.) Should we go spread democracy there too? Look how well Democracy is doing in Iraq.
    Meanwhile, Halliburton makes a mint off overcharged no-bid government contracts, oil prices do nothing but rise, the military-industrial complex is spending billions upon billions on bullets and missiles and unarmored humvees while shortchanging our troops on body armor, benefits, and family time.
    You unfairly ask if it’s more reasonable “That we had the wrong information, or that the president, for no reason, formulated an evil plan for revenge, and is operating a conspiracy to hide his plan and trick Americans?”
    Bush stated very clearly in 2002 that Saddam had to be stopped because “this is the guy who tried to kill my dad.” Quote.
    If we had taken over Afghanistan and rehabilitated that country effectively, then maybe we could start looking at the real threats to our country – our increasingly weak education system, and the overseas jobs that weak system helps to create, for one example. Our terrible health care, for another (Just you wait til you have to get a job in the real world.)
    You wonderfully top off this conjecture-filled article with paragraphs that pupu conjecture. The ironing is delicious! Maybe you should put a little more thought and real research into what you write, and avoid coming off so hypocritical in future articles/blogs.
    Don’t tell me that I believed Iraq had weapons of mass destruction, that no one thought that might be wrong. The rest of the world, save for a very, very small handful of allies, thought that information was wrong. An amazing 180-degree turnaround for a country who had that entire world backing it up in its previous military action.

5. Kathy says:

I guess I’m an atypical American, according to Matt. I thought Iraq had weapons of mass destruction – based on what military friends had told me about the Gulf War and based on news reports. Also, I remember that, during the Gulf War, a big fear was that Iraq would attack Israel with chemical weapons.
    Either way…the definition of “to lie” is to make a false statement that is deliberately presented as something true. While the President may have been wrong about WMDs and about the war in Iraq, I don’t think that we have proof that he lied – deliberately misled us. However, people throw the statement “The President is a liar” around as a fact.
    What amazes me about Americans today is that we think everything we believe is correct and we don’t know how to reason correctly or respectfully, or how to analyze a viewpoint without getting hateful. It all amounts to name calling and rudeness.
    One thing that makes this country great is our ability to hold elections and have an incumbent peacefully give up his office to the winning challenger. The factions in the Middle East are what make democracy there so hard to fathom. We, as Americans, need to be more respectful to each other, to out leaders, whether we agree or disagree with them, and to others we disagree with. Or, we may end up fractionalized and fighting amongst ourselves.

6. Matt Dunphy says:

Kathy, I wasn’t saying that the majority of Americans didn’t think that there were WMDs, I was saying that Jake’s assessment that “we all believed that Iraq had weapons of mass destruction” is a gross misstatement. Indeed, the majority of Americans probably did believe that Iraq had weapons of Mass Destruction… but then a pretty sizeable percentage of Americans thought the moon landing was fake, after watching that terrible Fox special that was on a few years ago.
    Can you really blame people who get all their news from a very narrow scope of sources? (I don’t know about you, but I sure think so.)
    Also, “One thing that makes this country great is our ability to hold elections and have an incumbent peacefully give up his office to the winning challenger,” just like in the year 2000, right?
    If a man lies, he lies. Remember this one from June 04? (Responding to a media question which asked “do you stand by your pledge to fire anyone found to have leaked [Valerie Plame’s] name?”): “Yes. And that’s up to the U.S. Attorney to find the facts.” And again in July 05, “I would like this to end as quickly as possible so we know the facts. And if someone committed a crime, they will no longer work in my administration.”
    Again, Bush, in May, 2003. “We found the weapons of mass destruction. We found biological laboratories.” Wait, I thought we didn’t? I thought it was bad intelligence?
    Here’s another, from his televised speech in 2003 setting a 48 hour deadline for war: “The terrorist threat to America and the world will be diminished the moment that Saddam Hussein is disarmed.

7. Kathy says:

Thanks for your more congenial response, Matt.
    I was also thinking of the 2000 presidential election when I said that we changed administrations peacefully. While I hope that Al Gore’s whining is not an omen of things to come, the turnover was still peaceful compared to some countries. In those countries, a group loses, but instead of giving up power, they just kill the other party members. In the United States, people lose elections all the time. The losing party just regroups and gets ready for the next election. Life goes on.
    About all your criticisms of the President…I’m not saying that we should defend him, but that we should give him the benefit of the doubt. I don’t know what you’ve experienced in life, but I was a Marine Officer in charge of lots of people. Leadership is hard. It seems like you can make nobody happy and everyone is always criticizing and second-guessing you. It’s not easy to make decisions, not knowing how everything will come out. It’s not easy trying to decide how or when to act.
    I was just a measly 1st Lt at Parris Island, SC, in charge of a recruit series and later a recruit training company. I remember talking one night to another officer, who didn’t know me well, and finding out all sorts of awful things (untrue) that people said and believed about me. I remember getting calls at home about recruit suicide attempts, drill instructor misconduct, investigations, etc. I was always being questioned by superiors about why this or that happened and why I didn’t do something another way. This was not a fun or easy environment and I was just a measly 1st Lt. Lest you think I was a bad officer, I always got top marks and was consistently ranked above everyone else. So, I can’t imagine what it must be like to be President and have the whole country criticizing you and second-guessing you, but I do have some idea.

8. Matt Dunphy says:

I guess the real point of my response is that George Bush has been documented lying. Jake asks, “How can they say the president lied about WMD?” Well, given how often he’s lied about other things, it’s hard to trust the man. Remember in the 2000 Campaign Debates, when George Bush spoke out against nation building? Now we’re engaged in the largest nation building campaign ever.
    Leadership is difficult, and often misunderstood. Being a famous leader is a double-whammy. Being a famous leader of the richest country in the world is something very, very difficult to fathom.
    The President is into his second term, getting into office by extremely narrow margins at both elections. The first time around, he was new, he had the benefit of the doubt. Now he’s been in office for a good long time, and he’s still swaggering around like he has some kind of mandate to do whatever he likes. There are flagrant abuses of power from his administration on national levels, dealing with some of the most core virtues our country was founded on. My own sanity cannot further afford giving him the benefit of the doubt, especially with so many black-and-white documented misdirections, false proclamations, and deceitful behaviors.
    I’m not at all surprised his ratings are so low now. I know that bumper stickers do not make for very credible philosophies, but lately I’ve come to really like the one that says “If you’re not copmletely outraged, you’re just not paying attention.” I hope that more people continue to pay attention, the time for the benefit of the doubt is long passed.

9. Stephen Douglas says:

Great post Jake, we should all get behind the President, after all he is our Commander & Chief, & regardless of what we beleive, no-one has proven him to be a liar, regardless of what the media say’s & just how far the Democrat’s blow if out of proportion. Hang In There.

10. Matt Dunphy says:

There’s a phrase often credited to Lenin or Stalin – “useful idiot” …a person who is naïve, foolish, or in willful denial, and that he or she is being cynically used by a crooked government, thus unwittingly being a traitor to his or her home country.
    So yeah, you get behind the President, because the United States was formulated as a means to boost its barely-elected leader’s ego and power without questioning. The President as a person is far more important than the country as a whole. DO NOT QUESTION DAS PRESIDENT.

11. Stephen says:

Jake, wish to express my thought’s, I alway’s beleived Iraq had WMD because every time the U.N went in for inspection, the Iraq Govt. wouldn’t let them inspect half the places they wanted to & by the time we did get to inspect those places, Iraq had month’s to move them & hide them just about anywhere, so I do beleive they had them all along. As far as President Bush goes, I support him 100% & I think in the time of war, all American’s should support the President & stop the petty Bickering going on in Washington Politic’s. Also, it’s very unfortunate that the Liberal Media keeps pouring Gas on the fire just to stir thing’s up mostly for TV rating’s. The Marine’s are there because they want to be & they are keeping all of us safe in our bed’s at night, while all the dumb Liberal’s just keep griping. They should join up & go over & help, if they had the gut’s. I think it’s time American’s realize that we are all in this together, & that we should sink or swim together & maybe that’s the way it ought to be. American’s have been fighting for our freedom for hundred’s of year’s, & perhap’s a lot of our fine citizen’s have forgotton that. They price of Freedom is Never Cheap..