Interviews

One of the only reasons I was excited for school to start this year was for the opportunity to be editor-in-chief of the Rocket Star, our school paper (the other reason…I’m a senior!!! haha). I don’t think that I’ll be able to change the way everyone writes, but I’d really like to try to help improve our stories, as well as my own. One of our biggest problems (well, at least one of my biggest problems) is trying to get a decent interview…

Many teenagers aren’t very interested in giving a decent interview for some small school paper. And, when you can finally find a few to open up, how do you remember everything they said? I can never write that fast, and I don’t want to slow down because it often loses the interview when you have to say “Stop, what was that again?” So, my questions are…do any of you have interview tips? How do you get someone to open up? How do you keep the interview going?
I really want to work on interviews this upcoming year and shy away from just making up a quote from a friend who won’t care what we print (don’t lie…we all do this at some point…it’s much easier than actually finding them and taking the time to talk to them!). Any tips?

This entry was posted in Question. Bookmark the permalink.

7 Responses to Interviews

1. Dylan says:

Yay for school newspaper editors! I guess when it comes to an interview, I am blessed with abilty to retain most of what people say. My best advice to you is to listen first and write second. Write down facts and quotes and try and remember basic information. Get a contact number or e-mail fromt the person to double-check. About setting up interviews, people at Central love being in the paper so it isn’t hard too get them in. We could never get away with making up quotes either, or quoting a friend for that matter.

2. Lily says:

Woah…making up quotes is a no-no. Whatever, that’s your thing.

3. Annie says:

This happens all the time with our paper. Last year, a student got caught big time for making up quotes in almost every one of his stories! It was unbelievible! We have a hard time getting students to read the paper and interested in the it at all. How does your paper get students to want to read it?

4. Abby says:

Haha so I guess that Spring Grove is the only place with no journalistic integrity? Didn’t mean to offend anyone…but I know that’s what went on with us last year (and hey, I agree, it needs to stop!).

5. Abby says:

But thank you Dylan =)

6. Dylan says:

You didn’t offend me, you just made our paper look better. Hahaha, just kidding.

7. Jen says:

If one of you remember to bring this up at the meeting on Sept. 9 (not this Sunday because of the holiday weekend), we can talk about it.