NYC trip leads to ‘Spring Awakening’

I stand at the train station with my admiral blue pea coat from Target and dangerously blue skinny jeans, luggage in tow.

Among the early morning commuters, I look alert. I look like a city girl. I’m loaded. Bogged down with cameras, maps and the ever-important black Sharpie. Perfect for getting important signatures.

My destination? New York City. I’m off to see the musical “Spring Awakening.”

Now, by chance and a generous grandmother, I am able to witness this new spectacle of Broadway, in its infantile stage. Ripe with original cast members.

But wait, I’m getting ahead of myself. Silence is golden, and I try to hold in my excitement until I stride through the Eugene O’Neill Theater.

My personal definition of the musical is 1890s Germany meets rock ‘n’ roll. The nitty-gritty of the plot is teenagers in Germany going through angst-filled adolescence without guidance from adults.

Fancy that. I can relate.

But I digress.

As I enter the theater, a simple schoolhouse set is visible. The back wall is brick and practically drowing under the weight of pictures, knick-knacks and blackboards. The lights dim, and the first note permeates the room.

The musical is artistically brilliant. The music, the singing, the lighting … all worthy of the eight Tony awards the production received. Clearly, I am not the only one drawn by “Spring Awakening.” The legendary Andrew Lloyd Webber sits several rows behind me.

Afterward, I make a beeline for the stage door. The cast members are all attractive, young and charismatic. I ask the two lead guys to sign my shoes, and pose for pictures.

While riding home on the train, I stare out into the darkening horizon, humming the songs, and promising myself to relive “Spring Awakening.”

This entry was posted in Diaries. Bookmark the permalink.

6 Responses to NYC trip leads to ‘Spring Awakening’

1. Cassie says:

Lily, I love this little journey of yours. You realize now that I insist on that we both go see it together. I am so glad that the strike ended.

2. Lily says:

Oh my gosh Cassie, I would love love love if we both could. My mom is up for seeing it again, and if your mom lets us?
    Unless you were saying that as a ‘i wish’ thing.
    But really, we’d take you.

3. Lauren says:

It’s awesome that you got to see Spring Awakening! I’m going to see Les Miserables this coming Saturday, and Spring Awakening is the musical I want to see next–it looks so amazing! I’ve been to several Broadways now (courtesy of my grandparents, too!) and I’ve never been able to get signatures by the cast–can you do that every time there’s a production? :) Interesting story!

4. Sam says:

i was on that train.

5. Lily says:

You can get sigs from the cast–if you’re lucky and catch them going out the stage door. Stage doors aren’t far from the main entrance. Some casts rush out, but others like S.A.’s cast love to hang around and talk to people.

6. Cassie says:

I will definitely propose it to my mother. This isn’t an “I wish” thing. Even if it takes awhile, we should definitely do it. Maybe for one of our birthdays or something. This NEEDS to happen.