My 50 Favorite Albums of the 1990’s 50-46

50. “Tigermilk” by Belle and Sebastian – I love Belle and Sebastian, but I’m going to have to listen to this one a few more times before I like it as much as another one of their albums that may make it onto the list later on. It’s got their signature twee folk/pop style though.
49. “Vauxhall and I” by Morrissey – Morrissey is the lead singer of the 80’s band The Smiths, and this album sounds like a Smith’s album, but without as many standout tracks. Also it’s less 80’s sounding which is a good thing and a bad thing.
48. “New Mother” by Angels of Light – I really like Michael Gira’s dark, relaxing vocals, but the sadness never lets up, and there’s 17 songs on this album.
47. “A Western Harvest Field by Moonlight” by Beck – A lot of people don’t like Beck’s earlier albums because they’re crazy and out-of-tune, but I enjoy them. The song “Lampshade” may be his best song ever.
46. “Weezer (Blue Album)” by Weezer – This one’s a bit of a guilty pleasure because after their first two albums, Weezer died to me. It’s simple and catchy, but there’s something more to it than that: sincerity.

This entry was posted in Take 5. Bookmark the permalink.

6 Responses to My 50 Favorite Albums of the 1990’s 50-46

1. Anonymous says:

2. Morgen Snowadzky says:

I really appreciate what you’re doing with this countdown, but I have one minor disagreement. Belle & Sebastian is indie pop which does not make them twee.

3. Andy says:

Anonymous – I don’t like arguing with people, especially on the internet, but how is anything past Pinkerton growing? The Blue Album is great. Weezer grew and changed and made Pinkerton, which is also great. Then they reverted back to their Blue Album style only simpler, poppier, and less original sounding. This won’t change your opinion of the band at all most likely, I’m just calling like I see it.
    Morgen – Thanks. Aren’t they both?

4. Morgen Snowadzky says:

I wouldn’t call Belle & Sebastian twee. If you listen to someone like Tullycraft or All Girl Summer Fun Band, they are twee. Very different from the indie pop sound of B&S.

5. Andy says:

I wasn’t really clear on the definition of twee pop, so I looked it up, and according to urban dictionary Belle and Sebastian fit the bill. http://www.urbandictionary.com/define.php?term=twee%20pop

6. Bryson says:

“Weezer’s never a guilty pleasure, everything River’s Cuomo does is amazing. You really should learn to grown and change as the artist does; they’re not going to stay the same forever.”
    River’s Cuomo? Does the river own him?